The simFlight Network Forums

Is this possible?

Can I discover with a read what key or joystick button a user has assinged to a particular function through the FS assignments dialog?

Also, under "simulation" commands in FS-Interrogate2, I notice things like offset 2911 - Hot Button number 0-39[1], etc. What is all that, and is this documented anywhere?

Thanks,

Patrick

Can I discover with a read what key or joystick button a user has assinged to a particular function through the FS assignments dialog?

Not in any way I know, I'm afraid. Except maybe by reading the FS9.CFG file yourself? Unfortunately, for standard assignments for joysticks I think it leaves that in the default Devices CFG files.

Also, under "simulation" commands in FS-Interrogate2, I notice things like offset 2911 - Hot Button number 0-39[1], etc. What is all that, and is this documented anywhere?

Of course, those are part of the FSUIPC Hot Button facilities (there are Hot Key facilities too). All this stuff is documented in the Programmer's Guide for FSUIPC, which is the prime reference document in the SDK. Surely you've seen it??? :-(

Please don't rely on notes and comments in FSInterrogate files as the main reference. It isn't complete, it is abbreviated beyond recognition in places, and it certainly isn't guaranteed to be maintained nor accurate, though I do try hard. On the other hand the Programmer's documentation is meticulously maintained.

Regards,

Pete

Ah thx Peter.

For some reason, in my rush I had forgotten to extract the programmers guide you wrote and put it in my docs directory of my project where I would see it.

You have rather complete docs, so I'm sure that will answer my question.

Lately, I have just been in way too much of a hurry and I need to spend some quality RTFM time ;)

So, now I have a design delima. I want my users to be able to assign keypresses and joystick buttons to switches and buttons on my panels. I'm trying to determine the best way to do this. I could use DirectInput, but I'm guessing it might be better to assign things to unused FS events and then have them assign them through FSUIPC. That way I don't have to hardcode it, or relay on reading in a config file.

Patrick

I want my users to be able to assign keypresses and joystick buttons to switches and buttons on my panels. I'm trying to determine the best way to do this. I could use DirectInput, but I'm guessing it might be better to assign things to unused FS events and then have them assign them through FSUIPC. That way I don't have to hardcode it, or relay on reading in a config file.

With some space in FSUIPC offsets, you could simply assign a bit for each function and let your users assign buttons or keys to Set, Clear or Toggle the appropriate offset bits. You'd need to work out how may bits you needed (but I don't allocate less than 16 bytes at a time anyway, so that's 128 functions already) and ask me (petedowson@btconnect.com) for an offset allocation.

Then explain to your users how to program Offset (Byte Word or Dword) Togglebits in the FSUIPC Keys or Buttons page. (See FSUIPC Advanced Users guide).

I reaise this may look a little confusing but I feel it is far less so than assigning different FS controls with misleading names.

Regards

Pete

Peter,

Did you ever get my email request?

Patrick

Yes, received on 29th July at 22:34 BST and replied at 23:21 on the same day, a mere 47 minutes later! Here is what it contained:

>> I'd like to apply for/request an offset allocation to allow me to

program my add-on panels for helicopters. Your minimum allocation of

16 bytes should be more than sufficient, as that would allow me up to

128 functions. <<

Okay. Thanks for coming this way. It aligns to my allocation system better. I do Support Forum stuff elsewhere.

Use offsets 7A10-7A1F inclusive, reserved for you.

>> These would be used by "Benchmark Avionics" products, currently

focused on helicopter parts task training panels. <<

So recorded.

Seems you email system thinks I'm a spammer, or maybe your ISP?

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...