The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and WideFS Updates

Hello Peter:

The updates of July 28th for both FSUIPC and WideFS. I purchased my downloads with the Registration in June of this year. Are these new updates free and if so, does one just install over the top of the previous ones? Do I use the same keys that were supplied at that time?

Martin

I purchased my downloads with the Registration in June of this year.

You don't purchase downloads, just a Key (or two Keys, one for WideFS and one for FSUIPC). As it clerarly says both in the Announcements here and in the User Guide, the Keys cover version 3 or FSUIPC and 6 of WideFS. Your receipt says this too.

You are, in fact, EXPECTED to keep up to date. I cannot support old versions, and, again, if you peruse the announcements here you will clearly see that only the most recent versions are supported.

Are these new updates free and if so, does one just install over the top of the previous ones? Do I use the same keys that were supplied at that time?

They are not "free", you paid already. You only pay once for Version 3 of FSUIPC and version 6 of WideFS. If you don't update you don't get support.

The user guide clearly tells you how to install. Simply copy the DLL(s) into the Modules folder. That's it. Don't delete or change anything. You don't have to re-register. Updates are simply new versions of the DLL (and updated documentation).

Pete

Hello Pete:

DLL's downloaded, thank you. The question was posed as the download was the complete package for FSUIPC and Wide FS respectively and not just the updated docs and PDF info with the DLL's. You were probably catering for all the first time downloaders at the same time. :oops:

Will know for the future, except for anything that you may or may not do for FSX.

Martin

The question was posed as the download was the complete package for FSUIPC and Wide FS respectively and not just the updated docs and PDF info with the DLL's. You were probably catering for all the first time downloaders at the same time. :oops:

Nothing in the way FSUIPC or WideFS has been supplied has changed in the ten and more years I've been supplying them. Every version comes in a ZIP which is complete -- DLL and Documentation, every time. As most of it does get changed, if only a little, each time there's no point in confusing things by having lots of separate packages.

Whether you are a new user or an existing one, the install is exactly the same -- copy the DLL into the FS Modules folder. That's it. This applies to both paid-up registered users and those who just need it for applications and are not registering it. If you have already registered, that fact is kept in the FSUIPC.KEY file which you don't delete (unless you really want to re-register).

I think you are confusing yourself by assuming things are much more complicated than they really are. I've deliberately kept things as simple as they can possibly be. There's no install program because the install process is so simple -- copy one DLL -- and the program does not put hooks into the registry or do any other complex thing which makes it any more complicated. Keeping it so simple also makes it easy to reverse the installation (i.e. un-install it) -- you simply remove the DLL from the Modules folder, and that's it, it's gone.

Will know for the future, except for anything that you may or may not do for FSX.

Installing for FSX will not be quite the same I'm afraid. But I'm making other simplifications to compensate.

Regards,

Pete