The simFlight Network Forums

Modify tiller sensitivity

I see that can modify the reaction of the nosewheel to the tiller/rudder control.

At the moment I veer crazily from one side of the runway/taxiway to the other with my Saitek X45.

I have looked at Joystick calibration in FSUIPC and can see the X45 rudder toggle changing the parameters on the rudder section, but not in the tiller!

So if I want to adjust the reaction to the tiller I suspect any change in the tiller section won't have any effect.

I don't want to adjust the rudder as, once airborne, the rudder is quite adequate.

If anyone an advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Nigel

I see that can modify the reaction of the nosewheel to the tiller/rudder control.

No, you can't. FS only provides one control, and that's the rudder. There's no way in FS I know to control the nosewheel as such, only to steer with the rudder.

I have looked at Joystick calibration in FSUIPC and can see the X45 rudder toggle changing the parameters on the rudder section, but not in the tiller!

You are looking this backwards! The Tiller facility in FSUIPC is there to provide a way of having two SEPARATE joystick axes both going to control the FS rudder, but calibrated separately, and with FSUIPC activating one on the ground and the other in the air with a gradual transition.

I don't want to adjust the rudder as, once airborne, the rudder is quite adequate.

Exactly. So you need a hardware tiller control (axis), assign it in FSUIPC's Axis assignments then calibrate it in FSUIPC's tiller calibration.

Please do read the documentation, I'm sure it does explain exactly what the FSUIPC facility is.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

As you devined I assumed the same joystick toggle would control the tiller on the ground and then as speed increased, gradualy transfer it's effect from nosewheel to rudder.

So I have to find another control on the X45 to become the tiller to steer the nosewheel? But that begs the question what purpose is the transfer then, if there are discrete controls for each. It would be up to me to apply rudder inputs as the rudder got sufficient airflow, as in the real thing. I could also still steer the nosewheel in the air if I wanted to!

I have read what seemed the relevant sections of the instructions, but as I say it is (necessarily) complex and it didn't make much sense at the first pass.

If you can clue me in that would be helpful.

Strangely I did have a working config, just by settings in FS, before I had to reset FS to default. I can't seem to acheive those now, hence turning to FSUIPC.

Nigel

P

So I have to find another control on the X45 to become the tiller to steer the nosewheel? But that begs the question what purpose is the transfer then, if there are discrete controls for each. It would be up to me to apply rudder inputs as the rudder got sufficient airflow, as in the real thing. I could also still steer the nosewheel in the air if I wanted to!

But the sensitivities would be entirely different! That is the WHOLE point, which you are still missing entirely I'm afraid. :-(

Really, if you are flying on a simple joystick, just use the rudder control for everything. The steering tiller facility is there for folks building proper cockpits with real tiller controls.

I say it is (necessarily) complex and it didn't make much sense at the first pass.

Please ignore it, then. it really is not for you!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks, but maybe you are missing my initial need which is to somehow reduce the sensitivity of the steering on the ground.

To stop me veering crazily from side to side with the lightest touch on the rudder control.

I have tried adjusting the rudder in FS (at least those paramenters I can remember) and it has no effect (I assume therefore it is only effective in the air) . So I am looking either for the changes I made prior to resetting FS (which I can no longer remember) or using FSUIPC which was suggested by someone else as a solution.

Nigel

Thanks, but maybe you are missing my initial need which is to somehow reduce the sensitivity of the steering on the ground.

REDUCE the steering response on the ground? Hmm. I've always needed much better response on the ground. In the air it's a very subtle need for rudder adjustment. You seem to have opposite needs to me (and others). Maybe its's an airliner versus ? difference?

To stop me veering crazily from side to side with the lightest touch on the rudder control.

What's wrong with calibrating it with a central dead zone, and then using the response curves to give less sensitivity near the centre. That's the best approach for all three main flying controls, and if you find steering on the ground too touchy, then it'll suit that too.

Just calibrate in FSUIPC with a small centre "dead" zone and select a "slope" with a suitably flattened central response.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks again.

Yes, definately over control, from the X45. The Logitech joystick twist control was O.K. It is worse with the lighter aircraft of course. But I look like a drunkard on the landing roll and I am lucky not to scrape the wingtips away!

I will look at your good suggestion and see how I make that happen.

Thanks

Nigel

• 4 years later...

I just noticed the old date of your post, but since I suspect more than a few people are having oversensitivity problems on the ground, I thought I'd add a late comment that I found helpful:

Locate the appropiate aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft in question. With notepad (or your favorite editor) search for a parameter called yaw_stability. Increase its value in order to reduce the tendency of the aircraft to wander off heading (including on the ground). Start with adding .1 or .2 increaments at a time until you find a value that gives you your desired response. (It will NOT reduce rudder effectiveness, but will increase the positive stability of the yaw axis.) By the way, if your pitch axis is also doing the same, there is a pitch_stability parameter. Hope this helps someone.

(Some of the FSX aircraft have very unrealistic flight models and definitely need substatial tweaking in order to get a more realistic response. It helps a lot if you've flown the aircraft in question so you can compare, of course.)