The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout using Garmin GPS 72 (no communication)

Hi Peter,

I downloaded your module GPSout to use with my Garmin GPS 72. I set the GPS to NMEA interface. In the GPSout.ini I set the right COM port, the baud for 4800 and tried to change the other parameters but when I open my Flight Simulator 2004 the GPS doesn't receive any data from computer.

- Is it only to open the Flight Simulator and my GPS should start to receive the data from Flight Simulator?

- Is it correct to use NMEA interface with baud 4800 in my GPS?

Thank you and best regards,

Leonardo

I downloaded your module GPSout to use with my Garmin GPS 72. I set the GPS to NMEA interface.

ErI very much doubt whether your GPS will accept NMEA input to supplant the position derived from its antennae. How do you switch them off?

I have three Garmin GPS's and none do. I think obly the aviation models can be used in such a mode, then I think they use "AV400" protocol. This is so that they can be driven from better receivers in an aircraft.

You are probably misunderstanding the entire point of GPSout. It is not "output to a GPS" but "output like that from a GPS". it is intended to feed signals to a moving map program (usually) just as a real GPS would.

Pete

Hello Pete, thank you for your feedback.

In my GPS I can switch to several interfaces, like:

GARMIN

GARMIN DGPS

NMEA

TEXT OUT

RTCM IN

RTCM IN/NMEA OUT

RTCM IN/TEXT OUT

None (no interface)

I can choose anyone of them.

For use NMEA interface it has some options:

-Lat/Long minutes precision (2, 3 or 4 digits);

-Waypoint identifier;

-Enable sentences. They are: GPS Status (GSA, GSV), Wpt/Route (WPL, RTE) and GARMIN Proprietary.

Only GARMIN Proprietary is marked.

And the last, with NMEA interface, the baud is only 4800.

Thanks!

In my GPS I can switch to several interfaces, like:

Yes, mostly for output. The only inputs it will likely take are to provide routing/waypoint data. My Garmin GPSs offer simiar facilities.

For use NMEA interface it has some options:

-Lat/Long minutes precision (2, 3 or 4 digits);

-Waypoint identifier;

-Enable sentences. They are: GPS Status (GSA, GSV), Wpt/Route (WPL, RTE) and GARMIN Proprietary.

Only GARMIN Proprietary is marked.

And the last, with NMEA interface, the baud is only 4800.

Yes, and all that is for output to a moving map. GPSout does the same sort of job from FS -- both your GPS and my GPSout are able to do similar things, connect to other programs like maps so you can follow your route. You use your GPS when travelling in the real world, you can use GPSout in FS when you are travelling in the FS world.

Perhaps you need to think a little more about what it is you are trying to do? I get the feeling you misunderstand the whole point of GPSout!

Regards,

Pete