The simFlight Network Forums

GpsOut and FliteStar 9.16

Hi Peter,

Would very much appreciate to know if it's possible to have FliteStar ver.9.16 read the data sent by FS2004 through GpsOut.

As a matter of fact I had no problem when using FliteStar ver.8.x, since in this version you had the option to configure the brand and model of Gps, which is not the case with vers.9.16.

Flitestar 9.16 only allow you to choose which brand to use (Garmin, Trimble,...) but not the model and I have'nt suceed to read the data sent by FS2004 through GpsOut (sentences used are the same that I used with vers 8.x and according to your recomendations for FliteStar/flitemap).

Thanks for your time and my best Regards

Joaquim

Would very much appreciate to know if it's possible to have FliteStar ver.9.16 read the data sent by FS2004 through GpsOut.

Do you mean FliteMap? As far as I knew, you paid extra for the GPS input facility in FliteStar, and then it was called FliteMap (although admittedly the installed binary is still FliteStar.exe! ;-)

As a matter of fact I had no problem when using FliteStar ver.8.x, since in this version you had the option to configure the brand and model of Gps, which is not the case with vers.9.16.

The version I am using is 9.04 and I have no problems at all.

Flitestar 9.16 only allow you to choose which brand to use (Garmin, Trimble,...) but not the model and I have'nt suceed to read the data sent by FS2004 through GpsOut (sentences used are the same that I used with vers 8.x and according to your recomendations for FliteStar/flitemap).

Strange they would reduce the list so much, especially only in a point update. My version 9.04 (Build 7523) lists loads of GPS's by make (left scroll window) and model (right scroll window). Almost all of the Models are also listed with different protocols after the model number, including NMEA 0183.

There's also a "make" called "Generic" for when you don't know or care, and the 'models' there include Aviation protocol and different NMEA varieties accepting different (explicit) sentences.

I have it set to Garmin -- GPS 95 NMEA 0183, but it works with most of them in any case as long as they are NMEA. My GPSout sentences are RMC,GGA,GSA.

If Jeppesen have for some reason removed most of the GPS input facilities (which would seem very odd), then all I can suggest is trying every one till it works. You could also enable all the NMEA sentences in GPSout (but keep the frequency low and the speed high as this will really clog things up otherwise) until you find one of the FliteMap settings which work, then start removing sentences to see which you really need.

I assume you can still set the speed too? They haven't fixed it at the default NMEA speed of 4800 have they? That would be awful. I use mine at 38400, the highest in the drop-down for speed setting.

Regards,

Pete

Jeppesen had a reason for this. They originally had the capability in Flitemap for the program to be used as a moving map and flight planner depending how much the user paid to enable those features. They have since moved away from Flitemap and discontinued it. Flitestar 9.16 and up will only communicate with an attached GPS to upload/download flightplans. You can still buy Flitemap from various places, but Jeppesen told me they were phasing both Flitemap and Flitestar out and initially reducing support options for Flitemap. Flitestar won't be phased out for some time. Jeppesen is replacing the Flitemap capability with a new subscription product called Flitedeck/Navsuite. The subscription starts somewhere around $1250 a year. It's geared for in-cockpit Electronic Flight Bag use and does include a moving map with NMEA, etc. input.

Check out http://www.flightprep.com. It's a product I completely stumbled upon a few months back. They make a very cool software package that includes a moving map, and has all the US approach plates/STARS/SIDS. I think its called Chart Case Pro.

They have since moved away from Flitemap and discontinued it. Flitestar 9.16 and up will only communicate with an attached GPS to upload/download flightplans. You can still buy Flitemap from various places, but Jeppesen told me they were phasing both Flitemap and Flitestar out and initially reducing support options for Flitemap.

Thanks for the info. Butouch!

Boy, am I glad I am still on a version before 9.16!

Check out http://www.flightprep.com. It's a product I completely stumbled upon a few months back. They make a very cool software package that includes a moving map, and has all the US approach plates/STARS/SIDS. I think its called Chart Case Pro.

Thanks, I'll take a look, but I'm pretty much tied into FliteStar at present through my plan conversion utility (FStarRC) which gives me FliteStar-made plans in Project Magenta, FS and Radar Contact formats.

[LATER]

Just had a quick browse. They don't state coverage anywhere, but it does appear to be very US-centric. I tend to fly (sim-wise) 90% Europe, with EGCC as base. My Jeppesen FliteMap is a Corporate World-Wide edition, with NavData updated last year ready for FSX. ;-)

Regards,

Pete

Pete wrote:

Do you mean FliteMap? As far as I knew, you paid extra for the GPS input facility in FliteStar, and then it was called FliteMap (although admittedly the installed binary is still FliteStar.exe!

I think that the current version(vers.1.916) is only a FliteStar software (wonder if FliteMap still exists).

I had previously a FliteStar/FliteMap version (8.x) and having requested Jeppesen to update for the last version I received a FliteStar Cdrom.

Don't see any recent FliteMap software at their website.

Strange they would reduce the list so much, especially only in a point update. My version 9.04 (Build 7523) lists loads of GPS's by make (left scroll window) and model (right scroll window). Almost all of the Models are also listed with different protocols after the model number, including NMEA 0183.

There's also a "make" called "Generic" for when you don't know or care, and the 'models' there include Aviation protocol and different NMEA varieties accepting different (explicit) sentences.

There is no such options in vers 9.16 of FliteStar.

If Jeppesen have for some reason removed most of the GPS input facilities (which would seem very odd), then all I can suggest is trying every one till it works. You could also enable all the NMEA sentences in GPSout (but keep the frequency low and the speed high as this will really clog things up otherwise) until you find one of the FliteMap settings which work, then start removing sentences to see which you really need.

I have already tried all your suggested combinations, but without any success...

I assume you can still set the speed too? They haven't fixed it at the default NMEA speed of 4800 have they? That would be awful. I use mine at 38400, the highest in the drop-down for speed setting.

I don't see any option within FliteStar allowing me to change the speed.

In fact I wonder if FliteStar Vers.9.16 still accepts standard NMEA 0183 format input.

Regards

Joaquim

In fact I wonder if FliteStar Vers.9.16 still accepts standard NMEA 0183 format input.

As you will have seen from Mr. Fournie's explanation, it appears that FliteMap is dead w.e.f version 9.16. You have no moving map features in that version. :-(

Regards,

Pete

Wow, Jeppesen Corporate World Wide. That was a pricey one. I believe the corporate version can output flight plans to real world Flight Management Systems as well. Somewhere I have a old copy of Jepp View which I believe can act as a plug in to Flitestar Corporate and provide all the worldwide Jepp approach plates making them accessible from within FliteStar/FliteMap.

I've got 9.16 and other than using it for real flight planning I've been using it with your FStarRC and another converter I found called Flitestar to FS2K. They both work quite well.

Yeah, I forgot that FlightPrep is pretty much US - oriented. I put a copy on one of Tablet PCs we have at work and it seems to work very nicely. All the approach plates are geo-referenced and can display the aircraft flying the approach on them.

Wow, Jeppesen Corporate World Wide. That was a pricey one.

Well, it wasn't so bad when I got it -- I started with FliteMap when it was still MentorPlus, and one-time upgrades were a lot cheaper than they are now. I somehow wangled reasonably priced matching NavAid and FliteMap updates all the way to 9.0x and about Jan 2005 or so's NavData (I think, not sure without looking).

I believe the corporate version can output flight plans to real world Flight Management Systems as well.

Yes. I've never used it, mind.

Somewhere I have a old copy of Jepp View which I believe can act as a plug in to Flitestar Corporate and provide all the worldwide Jepp approach plates making them accessible from within FliteStar/FliteMap.

Yes, I did contemplate getting Jepp View, but for World-Wide coverage that was/is expensive. These days, though, I tend to only fly in Europe so I suppose it could be a consideration -- if it doesn't involve and update to 9.16! ;-)

I do have an out of date complete set of Jeppesens in lovely leather binders (World-Wide) -- bought those bit-by-bit over a period. Nice for browsing -- I do still like paper, unfortunately. But for all practical purposes I now use nDac from NaviGraph.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I have read the topic about FliteStar/-Map and I can verify that FliteMap still exists, very much so. As I subscribe to FliteMap I do have the latest version 9.160, and it still lets you set up for a wide range of GPS types and protocols. I haven't tried GPSOut with this version, but I see no reason why it should not work. Will give it a try later on. I have recently been in contact with Jeppesen and there is no clear indication that FliteMap will be discontinued in the foreseable future. At least for European customers. It could be different for the US. I just ordered weather access for FliteMap and no word were said about discontinuation.

:)

Gentlemen, I have read the topic about FliteStar/-Map and I can verify that FliteMap still exists, very much so. As I subscribe to FliteMap I do have the latest version 9.160, and it still lets you set up for a wide range of GPS types and protocols.

Good to hear. Thank you. Seems like Joaquim , the thread originator, must have been supplied with FliteStar 9.16 instead. Maybe a mixup at the Jeppesen end. They've got my update orders wrong on occasion.

Regards,

Pete

Peter

I have been in contact with Jeppesen and has received the following reply from them: ''FliteStar IFR Europe will not be discontinued, FliteMap, however is only available for existing customers on a revision service basis. No new subscriptions are possible. But since last week we can also offer the Internet Flight Planner.'' Clear as a bell.

Peter

I have been in contact with Jeppesen and has received the following reply from them: ''FliteStar IFR Europe will not be discontinued, FliteMap, however is only available for existing customers on a revision service basis. No new subscriptions are possible. But since last week we can also offer the Internet Flight Planner.'' Clear as a bell.

Hmm, so they are still maintaining it but not selling it? That's weird. And, as you imply, referring you to an internet flight planner for moving map purposes is a bit dense.

Pete

I just got the first subscription disk today for Jeppesen FlightDeck/Navsuite. $2000 a year doesn't get you what you'd expect. All US approach plates, Hi and Low enroutes, some sort of moving map capability with 28 day updates. I need to spend some more time getting into it. I installed it on a Tablet PC with a touch screen and it seems to perfom well. Definately not geared to off-line flight planning like Flitestar. It's really for in cockpit use.

After using it for only a few minutes I think it's a shame that Jeppesen doesn't seem to want to expand/continue their General Aviation flight planning, but seems to be sinking considerable resources into their Corporate aviation products. Guess you need to go where the $$$$ are.

I just got the first subscription disk today for Jeppesen FlightDeck/Navsuite. $2000 a year doesn't get you what you'd expect. All US approach plates, Hi and Low enroutes, some sort of moving map capability with 28 day updates. I need to spend some more time getting into it. I installed it on a Tablet PC with a touch screen and it seems to perfom well. Definately not geared to off-line flight planning like Flitestar. It's really for in cockpit use.

Hmmm .... I'm certainly not going that way ...

Thanks for the info.

Pete