The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout & FSX

EXCELLENT...I having been using GPSout for years. It is my favorite utility. It is the reason that I still fly with MS FS.

I run MS FS on my desktop. I use GPSout to output the GPS signal to my laptop which is running MS Streets & Trips. This way I can see exactly what street/area I am flying over at any given moment.

The only temporary problem that I encountered was that most moving maps read GPS signals through a serial port connection. This presented a bit of a dilemma for me since my Toshiba laptop, like most brands these days, don't come with serial ports anymore.

Thanks to Purple computing @ http://www.pfranc.com they solved the problem for me with their USB to serial adapter. There are some other converters out there, but from my research I was able to conclude that most of them would not work in the MS FS world.

Thanks again Pete... You Rock on !!!

This presented a bit of a dilemma for me since my Toshiba laptop, like most brands these days, don't come with serial ports anymore.

Not just laptops, also many Desktops/Floorstanders.

There are some other converters out there, but from my research I was able to conclude that most of them would not work in the MS FS world.

I've had great success with some I bought very cheaply. Nice small things, just really a lead with a USB plug on one end and a COM socket on the other, just a little bigger than normal. They are real cheap, made in China, and the only name on the packaging is "Best connectivity" .

I've had bulky expensive name brand ones which are a pain and don't work properly, but these (around GBP 6, or $10 I suppose, each) are excellent.

Regards,

Pete