The simFlight Network Forums

wideserver errors

Hi Pete,

Can you take a look at our wideserver error log file.

Something strange going on lately... the first flight the fs works very fine, and nothing to complain about, but the second flight fs starts to drop down in frames (normaly around 35fps) but during the second flight every 4 seconds frames dropping from 35 to around 3, so it is shocking all the time.

Maybe something you know.

regards

WideServer.rar

Can you take a look at our wideserver error log file.

Sorry, my WinRAR free trial expired long ago. Can you please ZIP files, not RAR them?

Something strange going on lately... the first flight the fs works very fine, and nothing to complain about, but the second flight fs starts to drop down in frames (normaly around 35fps) but during the second flight every 4 seconds frames dropping from 35 to around 3, so it is shocking all the time.

Why WideServer? Are there errors shown? What about the Client(s)? There are two ends to every connection, you know (at least! ).

Where are you measuring the frame rates. If those are FS frame rates, then it is most likely FS which is clobbering WideServer, not the other way around. Either way, as it is cumulative it sounds VERY much like a memory leak in FS filling up real memory and causing serious periods of virtual memory swaps.

I think this is usually caused by certain types of scenery (land class files I think) being configured or situated incorrectly. I had lots of problems exactly like that after installing a bunch of scenery and only found them after several hours of elimination. I decided to do without the culprit scenery when I found it.

Regards,

Pete

here is the zip with the server and client logs.

As you see pete some errors in these files.

Sorry but i don't have that much experience with networks, so maybe you can translate these, and advise what we have to change in the network setting.

I will also check the use of the flightsimulator PC and how its handling the memory. Maybe he takes all the data but not dumping any.

thanks in advance

John and Bart

Netherlands

wideserver and wideclient log-files.zip

As you see pete some errors in these files.

No, no errors at allThe server shows a good start up at time approx 19:56, when all three Clients connect. Then FOUR HOURS and 21 minutes later, all three clients disconnect -- it looks like you closed them.

The OVERHEAD and FLIGHT logs appear to be from a completely different session, judging by the time -- 10:12. They also simply show that you started them before the FS PC ("laptop") was even available (not booted) -- Windows can't even identify it for the first 3 minutes.

Then there are 29 minutes where it knows the PC but there looks to be no FS running at all.

Then it connects, WideClient loads up 5 programs on the FLIGHT pc and two on the OVERHEAD. Then you took the file and Zipped it up. You never closed anything down, the log doesn't finish, there are no errors. none at all.

The GC log is from a different time, again (?) -- 00:46, but here at least you started it when FS was running, it connected directly, loaded up PFD x 2 and ran without errors till you closed it down tidily a bit over 10 minutes later.

Because it is closed tidily (the ONLY one!! -- please ALWAYS close everything before supplying logs), the performance data is shown at the end. And it is a very high performance indeed. It averaged 49 frames/sec for those 10 minutes -- what do you have the FS limiter set to? I think you might want to bring it down a bit as you are in danger of overloading your client PCs, if not your FS PC.

NO ERRORS at all on the Network.WHERE ARE YOU MEASURING YOUR FRAME RATES? If those are FS frame rates, you have an FS problem, not a WideFS problem!

Sorry but i don't have that much experience with networks, so maybe you can translate these, and advise what we have to change in the network setting

None as far as I can see. There's nothing here that shows there is a Network problem. Why do you think there is in the first place? You never answered the question about that -- what are these fluctuating frame rates? Where? Why suspect the Network in the first place?

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete.

first of all thanks for you help and advisory.

The strange thing is..... , that we had FS running on another pc, but because of the shocking thing that FS did... so every 4 seconds from frames 40 jumping to around 3... we buyed a new pc, and completly installed FS again.

Now on this new PC, FS is going to do the frame-rate shock again, thats why we called your help Pete.

Currently the Framerate in FS is blocked on 50, but we'll bringing it now back to 20 FPS.

I also included here in a zip file our wideserver.ini and the three wideclient.ini from the client pc's, so you can see that where are using the runready functions. I think thats why the clients are already started before FS is running sometimes.

So thanks again

regards

John Ebbers & Bart Dolk

Netherlands

Wideserver and Wideclient ini files.zip

Currently the Framerate in FS is blocked on 50, but we'll bringing it now back to 20 FPS.

Well, unless some of your clients are slow, 20 is probably a bit low. You need to find the highest sustainable speed. Try 20, first, if that's okay move up to 30, if that is jerky or a problem, bring it down to 25 .. you know what I mean, "zero in" on the omptimum.

I think thats why the clients are already started before FS is running sometimes.

That's okay, it isn't a problem -- I was only explaining the logs for you. I do the same -- in fact I have my own cockpit-based WideClients run in the Windows Startup group (there are no keyboards nor mice on 6 of the PCs in my cockpit in any case).

If I were you I'd use the Windows task manager performance monitor to monitor the use of memory. If the numbers for committed memory just keep increasing the whole time you run FS (there may be little decreases now and then), then you probably have a memory leak. As time goes on this will gradually result in more and more periods of stuttering as a type of disk thrashing results. Eventually (and it would take a long time if you have lots of disk space) FS would say there's not enough memory and close down or simply crash.

Regards

Pete