The simFlight Network Forums

Questions about GPSout and FSUIPC

Hi Peter,

This is my first time working with Flight Sims, and there are some uncertainties that I hope you can give me some suggestions.

I am currently trying to designing a program (with VB.net) which can integrate navigation, weather and fuel monitoring system. And consistently display the output information on an alternative LCD screen collectively near the sit at cockpit.

I have been trying out the GPSout which should output the GPS data that I needed to plot the flight route on the map. However, I was unable to gain access to the GPSout.dll. It would help a lot if I can see how the data looks like in GPSout.dll, what way is it possible to call the internal function of dll?

On the other hand, if I am seeking fuel/throttle values, will FSUIPC be the one to use? Similarly case, I do not know how to access the data from dll as same as GPSout. So is it possible if you can give me some help?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Ivan

I am currently trying to designing a program (with VB.net) which can integrate navigation, weather and fuel monitoring system. And consistently display the output information on an alternative LCD screen collectively near the sit at cockpit.

Okay. FSUIPC can supply all that.

I have been trying out the GPSout which should output the GPS data that I needed to plot the flight route on the map.

Erbut it outputs to a Serial Port in NMEA format. Surely you would be better off reading the data you need from FSUIPC? GPSout is intended to feed data to existing map programs which are designed to work with real GPS devices. It "emulates" a GPS, using FS as the "aerial".

Haven't you read even the small amount of documentation supplied with it?

However, I was unable to gain access to the GPSout.dll. [\quote]

"Gain access"? The DLL is an FS module. It only runs inside FS -- you don't access it with anything at all. It sits in FS and sends NMEA sentences out via the selected serial port. You'd need to receive data by reading a connected serial port. See the documentation.

It would help a lot if I can see how the data looks like in GPSout.dll

You mean the data sent out by GPSout -- you could use PortMon, a freeware serial port monitor from http://www.systeminternals.com, but if you want to understand standard NMEA sentences I suggest you use Google to search for the definitions. There's a lot of information on the NET and even some decoders.

what way is it possible to call the internal function of dll?

No way at all, the module, like FSUIPC, is ad add-in for FS, not a library for you.

On the other hand, if I am seeking fuel/throttle values, will FSUIPC be the one to use?

If you are writing a program and not using a moving map designed to read data from GPS units, you would most certainly be better off interfacing to FSUIPC for all the information you want. GPSout is only supplying positional and speed data, as a GPS would.

Similarly case, I do not know how to access the data from dll as same as GPSout. So is it possible if you can give me some help?

All the help you could possibly need is provided in the FSUIPC SDK. What is confusing you there? There are also some packages downloadable from this Support forum -- see above.

Just bear in mind that YOU do NOT use any of my DLL's directly. They all run in the FS process only. You interface to them using the interface code provided, including, for FSUIPC, via WideFS over a Network.

Pete