The simFlight Network Forums

Possible conflict between WideFS and FSexpand

Hi Pete

I have stumbled across a problem. I know that you cant be expected to know all FS applications that uses a network protocol - however I'm just lokking for advise or perhaps a good idea.

My problem is that I cant seem to get WideFS client to work with FSclientFSexpand.

What happens is that with WideFS client connnected and operating... as soon as I start communication between FSexpand and FSclient Wide client freezes. I have posted this in the FSexpand forum however at moment the only solution that has been suggested is that I try and run WideFS using IPX instead of TCP. I will off course try that...however maybe you have an idea before I start using two protocols on the same network?

My thread at the FSexpand forum can be found here:

http://www.cockpitsolutions.com/flywarePN=1&TPN=1

Best regards

Michael Christiansen, Karup - Denmark

My problem is that I cant seem to get WideFS client to work with FSclientFSexpand.

What is that?

What happens is that with WideFS client connnected and operating... as soon as I start communication between FSexpand and FSclient Wide client freezes.[\quote]

The program WideClient.exe freezes, or its client applications? Is there anything shown in the logs? Have you tried the latest version?

I have posted this in the FSexpand forum however at moment the only solution that has been suggested is that I try and run WideFS using IPX instead of TCP.[\quote]

Well, That doesn't sound like much of a solution. What could this other software be doing which causes the TCP protocol to hang?

I will off course try that...however maybe you have an idea before I start using two protocols on the same network?

Sorry, without having any idea whatsoever what the other software is or what it is doing I really have no way of suggesting anything. If there are no errors listed in the Log then I can only assume that something in the other software is somehow causing things to lock up in Winsock (the Windows network software). I really no nothing more about Networks than what Microsoft publish in their APIs, and the Network code in WideFS is lifted straight out of Microsoft examples.

Regards

Pete

Okay, I looked at your thread in the other forum. I see you are using the latest WideFS and that somehow WideClient is actually getting tied up in such a way that you have to kill it with the Task manager.

I'm not sure how that can happen, so it is worrying. The Network part of the program is in a different thread to the main one which interfaces to the application programs -- if some Network call made by WideClient simply never returned from Winsock I'd still expect the main part of the program to be responsive. The only times when the main part appears unresponsive is when an application program is calling it so frequently that it never gets a chance to do anything else.

So, this suggests one or two avenues for investigation:

1. Try no applications, just Wideclient running, then start your FSXpand partresults?

2. If Wideclient didn't lock up in (1), try a simple WideFS application, like WeatherSet or TrafficLookbut just one at a timeresults?

3. Take the very simplest example which locks up and run it with full Debug logging in Wideclient. To enable this, edit the WideClient.INI file with "Log=Debugall" in the [user] section.

This will produce a huge log so don't run it too long -- only till you get to the "frozen" situation. ZIP the log and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com and I'll see if I can make any sense of it.

Regards,

Pete