The simFlight Network Forums

Windows 2003 / WideClient?

Just out of curiosity...

Is anyone sucessfully running WideClient (6.60 or higher preferred) on Windows 2003???

If there's anyone with something like VMWare Server/Workstation arround here (Come on, I know there's more PC nerds sitting and flying planes with 1TB of storage by their knees :lol:), can anyone test it please?

It would seem the way Windows 2003 deals with Processor switches and Memory management, it makes it very difficult for WideClient to operate... In my case, I'm getting very spiky CPU usage from WideClient (100% for a couple of seconds, every other couple of seconds), so I'm just wondering whether this is something on my side, or whether this is something OS side...

Thank you!

Just out of curiosity...

Is anyone sucessfully running WideClient (6.60 or higher preferred) on Windows 2003???

Hi Chris,

I received this reply over in the PM webgroup:

I'm wondering why anyone would try to use one of the most expensive M$ OS's to run wideclient. You didn't state the role of this WK3 box. Stand alone, File Server, Domain controller.

What you see is the WK3 not wanting to relinquish any memory or cpu for something it can do natively. Most of all, that is why FS doesn't run well if at all on a true server. Going through the OSI Network model is the reason.

But I assume you know all about that. Just not a good solution for a flight deck setup in my opinion. Not trying to tick you off here, as I certainly respect your work.

Looks like I should simply warn folks off Windows Server in my WideFS documentation?

What are you using on the FS PC, by the way?

Regards

Pete

Also 2003 (doesn't perform well), and I'm forced to due to my external storage (which only supports 2003).

Replaced the WideClient PC last night with XP, problem went away... Guess I'll have to get myself a dedicated server and drop XP on my main workstation as well again....