The simFlight Network Forums

To Peter Dawson. [NOTE: It is DOWSON, not DAWSON!]

Just taking a minute to thank you for all the work you have put in fsuipc.Your talent and persistence for perfection has kept this helicopter simmer flying in his home made cockpit for over a year now and im shure for many more to come.From all of us that use your software to bring our creations to life,A BIG BIG THANKYOU.

Hyfly.

IMNSHO, the documentation is lacking and terribly verbose. (No, that's not an oxymoron.) And the apps could benefit from either a better interface or the existence of an interface!

Thank you very much for coming here with such constructive advice.

If you really believe that just don't buy it and don't use it. You have every opportunity to read that stuff before you get into it, without having to be so insulting and discouraging.

It was only because Microsoft persuaded me to stay with it that there even exists any versions for FSX. Personally I've had enough of it all. I'd rather just go fly. At this rate there certainly won't be any more versions for future FS releases, but then I expect folks like you would have done it all better by then. By all means let me see your results when you have achieved any.

:-(

Pete

Ah, Peter's first mistake was listening to Microsoft. :shock:

I can't get wideFS to work on my machines. I paid for FSUIPC and WideFS. I read ALL the documentation over and OVER! I've turned off my firewall. I've viewed my logs:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.70] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 26/10/06, Time 12:19:51.455: Client name is PT13547

140 Attempting to connect now

1140 Trying to locate server: Protocol not yet decided

1140 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3140 Attempting to connect now

67203 Trying to locate server: Protocol not yet decided

127625 ****** End of session performance summary ******

127640 Total time connected = 0 seconds

127640 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

127640 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

127640 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

127640 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

Still can't connect.

I've looked at all other posts. And in them you insult people's intelligence as you sound off from your soap box. So you can understand why I don't bother posting the question to your "support" forum: after a couple posts, you just refer back to your dear-gawd-it's-so-bloody-brill documentation. Prove me wrong.

********* WideClient Log [version 6.70] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 26/10/06, Time 12:19:51.455: Client name is PT13547

140 Attempting to connect now

1140 Trying to locate server: Protocol not yet decided

1140 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3140 Attempting to connect now

67203 Trying to locate server: Protocol not yet decided

Broadcasting (mailshots) aren't working on your system. Maybe it isn't all XP or something else is stoping them. Turn them off in WideServer by setting AdvertiseService=0, and put the ServerName in the client INI file so the clients know where to look.

So you can understand why I don't bother posting the question to your "support" forum

Please don't come back. If you continue with your attitude you will get barred in any case (and not by me, I haven't got the power). You don't need me, I don't need you. And no one needs an insulting ignoramus like you.

Pete

Sent.

Thanks, but some things were wrong.

1. I wish you had said you were talking about FSUIPC4 and WideFS7 (i.e. FSX). There is no "WideServer.INI" file needed or used for FSX -- as documented (presumably obscurely for you) the WideServer parameters are in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file, now that WideServer code is built in. So please use or change that line in that INI file and that section.

2. Also add (or change) the "Log=Debugall" line in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file too.

3. In the WideClient.INI file, instead of the parameter "Log=DebugAll" as requested you have put "Log=Log=Debugall". Can you edit that (remove the excess "Log=") and try again, please?

4. You supplied one Zip with two INI files, one of which isn't used for FSX, and another Zip with the WideServer Log and another copy of the same Wideclient.INI file. Please, next time, there are 4 files needed:

(1) The FSUIP4.INI (now we know you are talking about FSX)

(2) The WideServer.LOG with the full debugging.

(3) The WideClient.INI

(4) The WideClient LOG

Please also describe the two PCs a little -- what versions of Windows, mainly.

It is getting late here so it may be morning before I get to these now.

Pete

Thanks, but some things were wrong.

1. I wish you had said you were talking about FSUIPC4 and WideFS7 (i.e. FSX). There is no "WideServer.INI" file needed or used for FSX -- as documented (presumably obscurely for you) the WideServer parameters are in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file, now that WideServer code is built in. So please use or change that line in that INI file and that section.

Actually, I'd tried both.

2. Also add (or change) the "Log=Debugall" line in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file too.

Done.

3. In the WideClient.INI file, instead of the parameter "Log=DebugAll" as requested you have put "Log=Log=Debugall". Can you edit that (remove the excess "Log=") and try again, please?

Done.

4. You supplied one Zip with two INI files, one of which isn't used for FSX, and another Zip with the WideServer Log and another copy of the same Wideclient.INI file. Please, next time, there are 4 files needed:

(1) The FSUIP4.INI (now we know you are talking about FSX)

(2) The WideServer.LOG with the full debugging.

(3) The WideClient.INI

(4) The WideClient LOG

Resent.

Please also describe the two PCs a little -- what versions of Windows, mainly.

FS Computer (Server)

Windows XP Pro, fully updated, firewall off.

Dual-core 2.4 GHz AMD

2 GB RAM

Client Computer

Dell Latitude D610

1 GB RAM

Ah .. I replied to your email before seeing this here. Sorry, some things conflict in that case. Please read this, not that:

Done.

I'm afraid it wasn't in the INI you sent and the Server Log therefore doesn't show any extra information.

Done.

Okaythat's useful. There are now two other tests that we can do:

First please add the Log=DebugAll line to the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file. And remove the "AdvertiseService=No" line now -- we know now that this isn't responsible one way or the other.

Then the two tests are:

1. Run as it is, no change to Client end. Send me both Server and Client logs. I want to be 100% sure the mailslots aren't arriving -- because if they are and the Client is not acting on them, or acting incorrectly, I have a problem in the Client code. On the other hand if the mailslots are simply not arriving, then (seeing that both your systems are WinXP I see now) there's something amiss, something stopping them. More about that below.

2. Second test. Add the line "Protocol=TCP" to the client's INI file (in the [Config] section). Re-test. If it works, it works despite lack of mailslots. If it doesn't, please send me both logs again.

FS Computer (Server)

Dual-core 2.4 GHz AMD

2 GB RAM

Client Computer

Dell Latitude D610

1 GB RAM

Okay, good. Now, are they both in the same WORKGROUP? I seem to remember that someone had a problem, only with the Mailslots, and it turned out that WinXP may not be sending these messages to other workgroups, only the PCs within the one. You can read (and I think change) your workgroup name by right-clicking "My Computer", selecting Properties then the Computer Name tab.

I'd like to know this, please, even if you did get it working in (2) above. If different work group names do stop the broadcasting I will have to document the correct work-around. If they are different it would be even nicer of you if you could try making the two the same and retesting without the "ServerName" and "Protocol" parameters in the Client INI, just to prove whether that was the reason or not, but I realise that may be inconvenient.

Regards

Pete

I changed the Protocol=TCP in the wideClient.ini config section -- seemed to do the trick.

Good. Seems that the mailslot broadcasts just aren't getting through then. That's odd.

I at first changed the workgroup to match, and it seemed unaffected.

Ah, so they were different? Is it possible that after changing that and re-testing you still had AdvertiseService=No (or 0) in the [WideServer] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file?

Regards

Pete

AdvertiseService=1

^^ The above line was left in.

Okay. In that case the puzzle remains as to why Windows XP's mailslot system isn't working on your Network.

Not worth pursuing now you have a work-around, but it might help others if we could find out. Not sure how to though.

Regards

Pete