The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 and FSX

First of all, many thanks for bringing up very quickly a new release of FSUIPC for FSX. Downloading, installing, registering: everything is running fine. There is my problem:FSX running in full screen mode, "add-ons" appears correctly on the menu bar;but if I click on "FSUIPC" , FSX immediately crashes. Now I tried to run FSX in windowed mode and then...FSUIPC works perfectely.

My PC configuration: AMD 64 Dual Core 4200+, 2 Gb DDRAM, nVidia 6800 GS 512 Mb

Could you help me solving that problem ? Thanks again !

Jeamp

FSX running in full screen mode, "add-ons" appears correctly on the menu bar;but if I click on "FSUIPC" , FSX immediately crashes.

Do you get a proper crash information dialogue, with the option to send it to Microsoft? If so, please do so. If not please report this via the tell_fs@microsoft.com email. Give them as much detail of your video hardware, drivers and settings as possible please.

Then try other drivers, later ones if possible.

FSUIPC4 isn't actually doing the switch you see from FSX's normal display to the black background, on which my program then draws the option dialogue. That's actually a function of SimConnect's facilities to allow dialogues to be displayed in full screen mode. It sounds as if there's a conflict with the particular video settings, card or drivers on your system. We need to get information on all these sorts of bugs to Microsoft in the hope they'll fix them soon.

This is, so far, the only report I've seen of this particular bug so your information is even more vital.

Now I tried to run FSX in windowed mode and then...FSUIPC works perfectely... Could you help me solving that problem ?

Until Microsoft can find a solution then I think we will have to look at work-arounds. One of them is to go into Windowed mode, as you've found. On one of my systems I have to use Windowed mode for all flights (with or without any add-ons like FSUIPC4) because otherwise after about 5 minutes of flying or less FSX zaps itself irrecoverably into the Task Bar and won't come out again. I've not got to the bottom of that yet, still trying things.

If everything else is okay at present and you can use the Windowed mode on the few occasions you need to go to FSUIPC options, then I should carry on that way. Otherwise you could try different drivers and different settings (i.e. different anti-aliassing levels, filtering, etc -- options in FSX as well as in the video drivers). There may well be a good combination which doesn't cause the crash.

Regards

Pete