The simFlight Network Forums

Offset 3110 and control 65827 and 65828

Dear Pete,

My work on an Interface for Billy Verreynne's Speechbuddy is progressing.

I would however report an issue I have with FSUIPC's offset 3110 in ocmbination with controls 65827 (next view) and 65828 (previous view).

Offset 3110 generally works with controls, but not with those two specific controls.

I first thought the problem could originate from my clumsy programming, so I tried to assign those two function to a key press using FSUIPC. But the same (ie nothing) would happen when the key is pressed.

I have looked the forum up to find some indication on the topic, but did not find any.

I would be very grateful for your kind help with this issue.

Sincerely,

Tagada

I would however report an issue I have with FSUIPC's offset 3110 in ocmbination with controls 65827 (next view) and 65828 (previous view).

Offset 3110 generally works with controls, but not with those two specific controls.

They seem to work fine here. Maybe you only have the one view? Then of course they won't do anything.

To check yourself whether the controls are operating that far, please use the logging facilities in FSUIPC. That is what they are for. Enable button loagging and Event logging.

Possibly you think those controls do something they don't? You need multiple views to make use of them -- all they do is move the focus from one view window to the next, or back, so that actions such as zoom and view left/right etc change that window. If you only have one view the "Next" and "Previous" don't mean much really. How can they?

If all you are thinking of doing is changing view modes (the same as "S" and "shift+S" do), these are not the same -- it is modes you change, not views. VIEW_MODE and VIEW_MODE_REV.

Please do use the FSUIPC logging when you are trying to work things out. It would save you a lot of time.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your reply.

The problem has indeed originated from my misunderstanding of what View_Next and View_Previous were doing. You understood perfectly what I aimed at (s, shift+s)!

I have since than bumped in another problem, for which I have used the logging facility.

The controls 66023 - 66027 (MAGNETO_OFF, etc.) would work as I expect them too, especially 66024 would put all the magnetos to right, from any position they were in in a first place.

I then fail to understand why the control 65928 MAGNETO1_RIGHT (and 65934, etc) fails to do the same for engine 1 (resp. 2 etc.). Especially with engine 1 with magnetos on both, I would go to magnetos left with a first call of the control MAGNETO1_RIGHT, then back to both with the next call.

1227250 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65930 (0x0001018a), Param= 0 (0x00000000) MAGNETO1_BOTH

1230391 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65928 (0x00010188), Param= 0 (0x00000000) MAGNETO1_RIGHT

1233156 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65928 (0x00010188), Param= 0 (0x00000000) MAGNETO1_RIGHT

Thank you for your kind help,

Sincerely

Dominique Andlauer

The controls 66023 - 66027 (MAGNETO_OFF, etc.) would work as I expect them too, especially 66024 would put all the magnetos to right, from any position they were in in a first place.

I then fail to understand why the control 65928 MAGNETO1_RIGHT (and 65934, etc) fails to do the same for engine 1 (resp. 2 etc.).

I don't know if any of those work.

Are we dealing with FS9 or FSX now? For FSX there seem to be a lot of problems with magetos, starters, all sorts. I bugged them during the Beta and tried to find alternatives for the FSUIPC interface.

All FSUIPC does with any FS control is send it to FS. It doesn't interfere with it -- it is identical to assigning it in FS, if it had a complete list to assign to. (Have you looked to see if FS supports direct assignemtn of these BTW?).

Anyway, I'll cross-check here if you'll please clarify which version of FS and which aircraft (I think implementation of controls can vary by aircraft too).

Regards,

Pete

Dear Pete,

It's FS9.

After costing you time this morning, I checked and double checked. I tried in the Ford Tri Motor and the cessna C172 with the same results.

My point is assigning voice commands and being as universal as possible, so I'd rather use FSUIPC than FS assignments.

I have figured out a way to work around the problem (using the controls when they work, and the FSUIPC offsets controling the magnetos for left and right). But it's so hybrid, I am sure I will not understand my code anymore tomorrow. I moved from the offsets controlling the magnetos as I had problems with them (If you set a magnetos to start with the offset it remains on start for ever; with the control, it would act normally, ie from start go to both after the engine has started). So I'd rather have the controls if they work.

Thank you for you help.

Sincerely,

Dominique Andlauer

I'd rather use FSUIPC than FS assignments.

That wasn't the point. The controls appearing in the FS assignments are supposed to work. The ones in the FSUIPC list are all those actually present in FS's tables (in CONTROLS.DLL). A lot of those aren't assignable in FS's assignments, and there's no guarantee they will work therefore. They may be hangovers from previous versions or new ones not yet hooked up.

If you set a magnetos to start with the offset it remains on start for ever

Yes, of course. Because it represents a switch position, like the pilot holding the switch on start against the spring pressure. That same switch, when released and allowed to spring back will send abother value, meaning "Both", for example. The starter motor remains connected till the switch is released.

Checking my code for FS9, I've never used those OFF/LEFT/RIGHT/BOTH/START values. I've a feeling they've never actually been hooked up inside FS, even back in FS98 days when they were added.

An alternative to writing directly to the offsets which should work, though I don't know about FSX (where there's a bit of a mess in this area), would be to use the KEY_MAGNETOn_SET controls with the parameter giving the position 0-4. I just checked and FSUIPC3 uses these.

I'm not sure how this relates to SpeechBuddy. Surely with that you are only seeking to replace keyboard use, so the INCR/DECR controls should be the most applicable, shouldn't they? That's what you use on the keyboard.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

Thank you for your help!

About SpeechBuddy and the interface:

I'd rather say

"Magneto engine one start"

Than

"engine one magneto increment, increment, increment, increment".

If possible, i'd rather let the interface do the increment for me... :-)

We already can set the radios with a voice command of the kind:

"set com one for one one eight decimal niner five". Again, I think it is more convenient that selecting the knob and incrementing (and yes, I know the alternative is a home cockpit like yours ;-) )

I'll test and keep you posted with the result.

Sincerely,

Dominique Andlauer

I'd rather say

"Magneto engine one start"

Than

"engine one magneto increment, increment, increment, increment".

Well, to start you could use the autostart control.

If possible, i'd rather let the interface do the increment for me... :-)

Exactly. So it could send the 4 controls even though you only say one thing?

Anyway, try the _SET controls.

Pete