The simFlight Network Forums

Installation of FSUIPC 4 on FSX - Firewall problems, MC Afee

Hi Pete,

I am new to this forum and, frankly, I do need your help.

I have two questions:

1)

Using FSUIPC for years I was eager to install it on FSX.

Now, I am one of those guys who cannot install FSUIPC 4.0., probably because of the Mc Afee Antivirus Program I am using.

You remember, the problem you listed in your anouncement under problem type 1.

I tried everything, except for the uninstallation, but to no avail.

I still cannot see the FSUIPC menu in the EXTRA section of FSX.

Since I also paid for the registration, I am desperately seeking a solution.

You mentioned somebody with the the same Mc Afee software who got it fixed. Do you have more details on the way he did it or could you please tell me his alias or email adress so i can get in touch with him?

2)

Does FSUIPC work even though it does not show up in the add on menu?

Thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

I am one of those guys who cannot install FSUIPC 4.0., probably because of the Mc Afee Antivirus Program I am using.

That should not stop the Installer. What is the install error you are seeing please?

I still cannot see the FSUIPC menu in the EXTRA section of FSX.

There won't be any EXTRA section of FSX. Where are you reading that?

Since I also paid for the registration, I am desperately seeking a solution. You mentioned somebody with the the same Mc Afee software who got it fixed. Do you have more details on the way he did it or could you please tell me his alias or email adress so i can get in touch with him?

I have no contacts for this other than those in the threads here. There is a very long thread down below some place.

But the definitive answer, so far, is from Microsoft -- follow the link in the Announcement about FSUIPC and Firewalls above. It will lead you eventually to Microsoft's statement about how to correct the problem. I'm not sure their answer resolves everything yet though.

This isn't an FSUIPC problem -- it affect ALL possible add-ons to Flight sim which use Simconnect. If Simconnect is bolocked, denied access, which is what is hapening, then nothing using it will work.

Believe me, I'm jumping up and down on the relevant MS folks as hard as I can, but so far that statement is the only response.

Does FSUIPC work even though it does not show up in the add on menu?

You have an Add-On menu? What's in it?

If FSUIPC installed correctly, which you say it didn't, then when FSX is loaded, FSUIPC will be loaded and run too. It will be running quite happily and it will even make a Log file in the Modules folder. Check. What does it say inside?

The problem is that the communication between SimConnect and FSX is blocked. SimConnect talks to FSX using TCP/IP protocols and it is those being interfered with by firewall and privacy settings.

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

first of all, thanks for the prompt answer! - Since I have to run a business in my real life I couldn't get back earlier to answer your questions.

But here we go:

That should not stop the Installer. What is the install error you are seeing please?.

Well, as I am not a native speaker, I probably choose the wrong word. What I meant was, the installation of FSUIPC went fine, I got the success message, but the FSUIPC menu never showed up as an "add ons" menu.

There won't be any EXTRA section of FSX. Where are you reading that?

Same thing as above. In the German version of FSX there is an "EXTRA" menu which probably is the add on menu in the English version.

You have an Add-On menu? What's in it?

Thats the "Extra" section showing up on top as a drop down menu, when you have add ons installed. In my case FSX MyTraffic

If FSUIPC installed correctly, which you say it didn't, then when FSX is loaded, FSUIPC will be loaded and run too. It will be running quite happily and it will even make a Log file in the Modules folder. Check. What does it say inside?

It says:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.026 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX

Module base=61000000

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

78 System time = 21:33:08

78 FLT UNC path = "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Wolfgang\Eigene Dateien\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"

78 FS UNC path = "D:\Flight Simulator X\"

1297 SimConnect_Open succeeded: proceeding to initialise interface!

Does this log file show anything unusual to you?

Regards

Wolfgang

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.026 by Pete Dowson *********

1297 SimConnect_Open succeeded: proceeding to initialise interface!

Does this log file show anything unusual to you?

No, not yetbut does it actually stop there? If so then there certainly will be no FSUIPC entry in the 'Extra' menu. Can you show me a complete Log please, including FS closing?

Oh, before you do that please get version 4.03 so we are talking about the same thing.

Regards

Pete

No, not yetbut does it actually stop there? If so then there certainly will be no FSUIPC entry in the 'Extra' menu. Can you show me a complete Log please, including FS closing?

Oh, before you do that please get version 4.03 so we are talking about the same thing

hi again,

This time I closed the Mc Afee Security Center before installing. I then installed 4.03 and got the ok message.

Launching FSX and no add on menu appeared.

A little flying and then closing FSX.

This is how the log file looks:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.03 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX

Module base=61000000

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=0

31 System time = 23:11:47

31 FLT UNC path = "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Wolfgang\Eigene Dateien\Flight Simulator X-Dateien"

31 FS UNC path = "D:\Flight Simulator X"

1219 SimConnect_Open succeeded: proceeding to initialise interface!

175297 System time = 23:14:42

175297 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 2 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

...by the way, even though I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel in this matter yet, I would like to thank you for your support and your efforts!!!

Best regards

Wolfgang

1219 SimConnect_Open succeeded: proceeding to initialise interface!

175297 System time = 23:14:42

Okaythis is completely different from all of the other problems with Simconnect so far. The SimConnect_Open succeeds, but then nothing else happens. this means that FSUIPC never actually sees the "SimStart" message from Simconnect, and it isn't till then that the Menu entry is added.

Now we need to get some information on what Simconnect is doing. We need a Simconnect Log. to get one of these, please do the following:

1. Create a simple text file containing just these lines:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

where of course you need to put your FS path in where shown.

2. Save this as "Simconnect.ini" in your "My Documents\flight simulator X files" folder.

3. Run FSX as before, reproduce the problem. Close FSX, Zip up the Simconnect log and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

If it needs Microsoft attention I will report it direct, but I will also ask you to submit it through the normal channels as well.

[LATER]

Oh, one other thing. Later tonight I shall be releasing version 4.04 here, and it will be the official release on the Schiratti site tomorrow I hope. Please, download that and install it. Test again, just to be sure it is the same, but then try it with:

StartImmediately=Yes

added to the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file.

This makes FSUIPC4 do what it originally did -- start everything as soon as the Open is successful, without waiting for a 2simStart" message.

Whether that works or not, I'd still like the FSUIPC4 and SimConnect Logs from that too, for comparison.

Thanks,

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

well, it seems, this thing gets more and more complex.

Create a simple text file containing just these lines:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

where of course you need to put your FS path in where shown.

I did as you told me (and rechecked that I copied everything in the .ini file). This is how the file looks:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=D:\Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

2. Save this as "Simconnect.ini" in your "My Documents\flight simulator X files" folder.

Well, in the German version of WIN XP this folder is called "Eigene Dateien" which translates into Own documents. I. assume that is the same folder as My Documents. It also containes the saved flights and the saved settings for the Visuals. I saved the text file as simconnect.ini in this folder

I then ran FSX, closed it after a couple of minutes, but did not find any simconnect.log in the modules folder (that's at least where i thought I had to search). I then copied the simconnect.ini also into the FSX main folder and in the modules folder, tried it again, but to no avail.

All in all I come to the conclusion, that the problem may derive from the following sources:

- Antivirus program refuses to let FSUIPC talk to simconnect or receive

messages from simconnect

- Incomplete installation of simconnect

(maybe also because of Mc Afee)

- Not very probable though, but FSX is installed on the D: drive, while the

my documents folder is on the C: drive

So, the next questions are:

- Maybe simconnect is not installed at all?

(??? --same thing like in the posting

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=56831 --???),

- But then again, why does MyTraffic for FSX work

(I assume it must also use simconnect)?

- Can I somehow make sure, or identify, that simconnect

is working or installed?

- Maybe the Antivirus programm did not allow the FSX to install

simconnect in the first place

Thanks again for your ongoing support!!! ...and I hope, we will finally find the cause

Wolfgang

I did as you told me (and rechecked that I copied everything in the .ini file). This is how the file looks:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=D:\Flight Simulator X\Modules\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

and presumably "D:\Flight Simulator X" is where your FSX is?

Well, in the German version of WIN XP this folder is called "Eigene Dateien" which translates into Own documents. I. assume that is the same folder as My Documents. It also containes the saved flights and the saved settings for the Visuals. I saved the text file as simconnect.ini in this folder

If that is where the Flight files are saved, then, yes, that would be correct. wouldn't the path then be something like

"C:\Eigene Dateien\Flight Simulator X Dateien"?

I then ran FSX, closed it after a couple of minutes, but did not find any simconnect.log in the modules folder

Hmmm. Strange. It sounds like Simconnect isn't runningbut then I don't know how the DLL would return a successful indication to FSUIPC4's Open. In fact if Simconnect isn't running then FSUIPC4 wouldn't even be loaded.

Just to be sure it isn't just the file being misplaced because of the different folder naming, you could try setting "Console=Yes" in that INI file instead. It should make FSX open a Window displaying the live logging. You may need to run FSX in Windowed mode to see it.

If that doesn't work, then certainly Simconnect isn't seeing the INI file. Possibly (but unlikely i would have thought) it actually looks in "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" explicitly, so it might be worth temporarily creating such a folder and putting the INI in there. If your FS files folder is NOT named 2flight simulator X Files" possibly tring "Eigene Dateien\Flight simulator X Files" too?

All in all I come to the conclusion, that the problem may derive from the following sources:

- Antivirus program refuses to let FSUIPC talk to simconnect or receive

messages from simconnect

No, becasue it is seeing an OK return from the Open,and in any case that wouldn't explain the missing Log file.

- Incomplete installation of simconnect

that's possible I suppose, though in all the other cases like that it has stopped Simconnect even running, which doesn't see to apply here -- you seem to have little bits running.

However, if you can find the Simconnect.INI file on the DVDs and execute that, you should be able to force a good install. OI know it's available on the Deluxe set, in the SDK part.

alternatively you could try to do a repair. From another source (Jason Jacobs in the FSX Forum) there's this hint:

As it turns out it was a bad SimConnect installation. Although I'd reinstalled FSX many times I noticed the directory:

x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9

had a "modified date" earlier than my recent installation. I manually deleted it and then did a repair installation and everything worked again.

On your last: "FSX is installed on the D: drive, while the my documents folder is on the C: drive", no, that cannot be a problem. On one of my PCs I have FSX on the G: drive, and My Documents on the I: drive, with WinXP on the C: drive and I used to have Win2K Pro on the D: drive too (but that's gone now. I needed the space! ;-) )

Maybe simconnect is not installed at all?

No, because it is Simconnect which loads FSUIPC4.

- But then again, why does MyTraffic for FSX work

(I assume it must also use simconnect)?

No, it doesn't use Simconnect. It does install the Microsoft traffic explorer DLL which is from the FSX SDK, and that is loaded by Simconnect, but it doesn't use it except for loading.

- Can I somehow make sure, or identify, that simconnect

is working or installed?

Well, it must be at least partly installed and partly working, or those DLLs wouldn't be loaded at all. The Logging was supposed to tell us more and maybe which.

Try the simconnect CONSOLE logging, try the other locations for the INI, try the Simconnect.MSI or if not found the repair, and lastly try a complete re-installation.

Then please report all this to tell_fs@microsoft.com.

Regards

Pete

Hi again,

now I am getting a little confused as

-to where to put the simconnect.ini,

-where to expect the simmconnect.log after closing FS/X

and finally

which path to name in the simconnect.ini?

a) the FSX main dirctory, subfolder Modules

or

b) the Own documents/Flight Simulator Files directory

and presumably "D:\Flight Simulator X" is where your FSX is?

Yes

I am continuing with the different naming and so on. Well, my first attempt to try the CONSOLE logging failed. ...I will not give up!! :D

regards

Wolfgang

now I am getting a little confused as

-to where to put the simconnect.ini,

According to the SimConnect dox, that goes in the same folder as your FS saved Flight files, as already discussed.

The reasons I suggested trying some other folder names was to see if we could tie down a SimConnect bug -- as it obviously wasn't obeying the INI when you put it in the right place.

But this is a Microsoft problem, not yours, so if it confuses you please don't bother to try to help them. Just report that it doesn't work and let them figure it out. I just thought we might find a work-around, but it isn't looking very likely.

-where to expect the simmconnect.log after closing FS/X

You expect to see it wherever you directed it in the SimConnect INI file. It isn't magic. To keep the FSUIPC4 log and SimConnect log together I always suggest directing it to the FSX modules folder. But you can put any path you like in, and any filename.

which path to name in the simconnect.ini?

a) the FSX main dirctory, subfolder Modules

Er, this question is related to the last. The path in the SimConnect INI is the path (AND filename) for the Log.

If this is so confusing, forget the Log. Try the Console option if you like, but otherwise forget all about it and report the whole mess to Microsoft. Obviously they have even more problems with SimConnect on a non-English install of XP than they do on the US/UK install! :-(

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

ok.

What I am going to do is the following:

+ I will delete the trusted entry of FSUIPC out of the FSX.cfg and

delete all existing FSUIPC files in FSX

+ I will then run thru the entire installation process again with your

latest version 4.04.

(didn't do that in the first place, because the log never showed up

anyway).

+ I will then add the StartImmediately=Yes

to the [General] section of the FSUIPC4.INI file.

+ Create and save the simconnect.ini with the console=yes command

"all over the place"

+ I will finally make sure, that FSUIPC is trusted also by McAfee

(at least I will try this entry)

and then see what happens.

If I still get no add on entry and no Console window and no response of

simconnect to my simconnect.ini., I will try a complete reinstallation (...really looking forward to that "waste of time" :? )

If all that won't help, I will send it all to Microsoft and see what they make out of it. Maybe it has something to do with the German version of FSX, we'll see.

Last but not least, I now need to readjust my priorities for the next couple of days. I spent so much time working on this, my family starts asking what I am doing :lol:

Pete, let me again thank you for your support. It is not your fault, we could not solve the problem, nor do I think that it is a FSUIPC problem.

I will update you on my findings as soon as I have something new.

Best regards from EDDK a nice sunday evening

Wolfgang

To all folks reading these posts: Please let us know, if you came across similar problems!!! - share your experience!!

+ I will delete the trusted entry of FSUIPC out of the FSX.cfg

Not sure why you have one of those in any case. the whole purpose of me paying for a proper certificate is so you can check the option to trust all software from me. The trusted status then gets lodged into Windows (inspectable via Internet Explorer, and you never get any more security prompts on updates.

If I still get no add on entry and no Console window and no response of

simconnect to my simconnect.ini., I will try a complete reinstallation (...really looking forward to that "waste of time" :? )

You didn't find Simconnect.MSI then? Is yours a Standard or Deluxe edition?

It would be quicker to opt fro the Repair first in any case -- find that Simconnect folder in the Windows SxS system and delete it, then run the FSX installer and select repair somewhere.

Regards

Pete

This morning I told myself not to work on that problem tonight :!: , but here we go again :D

Not sure why you have one of those in any case. the whole purpose of me paying for a proper certificate is so you can check the option to trust all software from me. The trusted status then gets lodged into Windows (inspectable via Internet Explorer, and you never get any more security prompts on updates.

Well, you're right. I just thought I should. JFI, this is the entry in the FSX.cfg:

[TRUSTED]

D:\Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.tuabrchaukuzzqlruiozrltwqqwoizbietecnoet=1

You didn't find Simconnect.MSI then? Is yours a Standard or Deluxe edition?

I have the deluxe edition.

I read in another post (by MARK T) regarding this issue, to find the SDK on DVD1, install that, then find the Simconnect.msi file which is in the SDK's "Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib" folder. Then run the msi file to install Simconnect.

That's exactely what I did. I checked and positevely identified:

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

the x86_SimConnect folder, it had the simConnect.dll file in it.

Under C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifest-

There was a simconnect mainfest file and a security catalog file.

these had the name x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9.

and

x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9.Manifest

I then started the FSX, but still no logs. I will now try to play around with the manual installation hint as povided by Jason Jacobs (you wrote me that hint)

One last word (...folks, forgive me for getting a bit off track):

You know, what drives me crazy is, that with all that hints, your support, the time both of us spent on this, I still see no success, not a bit.

I wonder if anybody else has these problems?

On top I am asking myself, how those guys, who have no idea about SDK's, ini files and so on, and just want to play with this FSX software do in these cases.

Regards

Wolfgang

On top I am asking myself, how those guys, who have no idea about SDK's, ini files and so on, and just want to play with this FSX software do in these cases.

Probably give up and wait for MS to release a fix I expect.

I don't think any of the SimConnect problems are really as common as they may seem to be, scanning a Forum like this. There will be many thousands of successes. I myself have so far installed FSX on five different PCs, some with only WinXP's security stuff operating, at least two with the full Norton, and one with Kaspersky Antivirus pre-installed and operating, and I've seen no problems with installs, uninstalls (of Betas), nothing like that.

On the other hand, like everyone else, I'm having dire problems with FSX performance unless I cut way back on nearly all settings; on two PCs I get odd "crashes" to the Task Bar for no apparent reason (FSX is still happily running, but you can open a window or screen to see it!); switching between full screen and windowed or vice versa is precarious and often seems to hang (that one is reminiscent of early FS2004 problems); and on all the PCs I've got FSX has a tendency to hang quite easily when night flying. Weird. Day time flying seems to be the rule for now.

And all these things have occurred with and without any add-ons or add-ins, so it isn't all SimConnect at all.

All I can say is it is a good job I've not yet deleted FS2004! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Dear Pete,

to cut a long story short,

FSUIPC works now very well,

it shows up in the add on menu

and I finally could register it!!

:D :D :D

How?

I did the manual installation of SimConnect from the DVD as told, but still no success. Anyway, it was a good hint to check the installation date in the WIN SxS. I don't know if it had someting to do with my problems, but at least I could be sure simconnect is properly installed.

But even then I never got the simconnect.ini working.

The startimmediately=yes command in FSUIPC didn't help either.

No simconnect.log and no change in the FSUIPC.log as previously sent to you.

So this was it for me.

I completely deinstalled Mc Affee Security Suite and subsequentely FSUIPC (just to produce a new and clean FSUIPC installation afterwards).

I then bought the complete antivirus software of a provider with a "N " in its brand name.

Installed that software, installed FSUIPC 4.04 and here we go. :P

Solution summary (for my PC):

Simconnect works in the Geman version of FSX.

FSUIPC works well with the German version of FSX

It was just a problem with the antivirus program, not with the windows firewall software. Even though I told my previous antivirus software (via the trusted entry) that FSUIPC ist indeed to be trusted, it did not help.

So..., now its time to take off again !

Thanks again Pete!!

Wolfgang

I completely deinstalled Mc Affee Security Suite ...

... It was just a problem with the antivirus program, not with the windows firewall software. Even though I told my previous antivirus software (via the trusted entry) that FSUIPC ist indeed to be trusted, it did not help.

Thanks for the information. Seems that the methods McAfee uses are indeed a major problem for FSX. I hope you report your findings via tell_fs@microsoft.com so that they can take special note of this and see what is really going on.

Good flying now!

Regards

Pete