The simFlight Network Forums

gpsout and Widefs help

Guest fsjunkey

Guest fsjunkey

I have a desktop (server) and laptop (client)both running WinXP. I finally got widefs on the laptop to say "connected" when I load FS2002 on the server. I tried using Delorme Street Atlas 2003 and Microsoft Streets2003, but can't get either to acquire the gpsout info. The program says "Com port is available, but no signal is being received". Do both computers have to have the same com ports? Ieven tried setting up both computers to use "direct connection",and they did connect...but I still could'nt get info to the map programs. My desktop is (the server)com2 and the laptop (the client)is com1. Any suggestions on what to look for?

I am using a null-modem serial cable and have the network set to use TCP/IP, like the instructions said when using WinXP on both computers. I suspect com port problem, but I don"t know how to test them? I am using the latest version of FSUIPC and WideFS. Thanks for any help.

Here are my logs:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 5.50] *********

Using blocksize guide of 4096 bytes

Date (dmy): 14/06/03, Time 21:14:36.780: Server name is GARY1

25109 Initialising server socket now

25969 Incoming connection Accepted ok (skt=12)

26000 Connected to computer "GARY3" (skt=12)

46484 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 1 alloc, 1 free

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 10 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 1 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 5.50] *********

Date (dmy): 14/06/03, Time 21:15:02.973: Client name is GARY3

70 Attempting to connect now

80 Trying TCP/IP host "Gary1" ...

80Okay, IP Address = 169.254.123.28

1282 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

1292 Ready to try connection again

1332 Attempting to connect now

5318 Connection made okay!

28301 Error on client post-Connection Select() [Error=10053] Software caused connection abort

28311 Ready to try connection again

28321 Attempting to connect now

30915 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 9 bytes/sec

30915 Reception average achieved whilst connected: 0 frames/sec, 6 bytes/sec

30915 Max receive buffer = 20, Max send depth = 0

30915 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 21 Freed 21 Refused 0) *********

You are mixing up two completely different and separate things. WideFS operates FS applications across a Network -- i.e applications written SPECIFICALLY to interface to FS.

GPSout is simply making the whole FS PC simulate a GPS unit with serial (COM port) output, so that any old programs which can accept genuine GPS output, from a real GPS, can be fooled into accepting similar output from FS.

There is no relationship whatsoever between the simple serial port link used by GPSout (and real GPS's), and a Network.

Do both computers have to have the same com ports?

You can use any available COM port on one PC and any available COM port on the other, provided that neither are being used for anything else. Neither end has any idea what the other end is plugged into.

Ieven tried setting up both computers to use "direct connection",and they did connect

Windows "direct connection" will use the COM ports for a Network connection. GPSout cannot use a Network connection. It is simulating a humble GPS, with a simple serial output. It just shovels data out at the Baud rate (speed) you set in its INI file. At the other end you have a COM port receiving data and the map program or wharever configured to read the correct data at the same speed.

I am using a null-modem serial cable and have the network set to use TCP/IP, like the instructions

TCP/IP is a Network protocol and is nothing to do with the serial link used by GPSout.

I am using the latest version of FSUIPC and WideFS.

If this is all you installed WideFS for, remove it and discard it. It is totally irrelevant. and only serving to confuse you. I really don't know how you could have gathered from any of my documentation that there was any relationship at all between these two totally different applications.

:-(

Regards,

Pete