The simFlight Network Forums

gpsout-widefs

Guest fsjunkey

Guest fsjunkey

Hi Pete. Wow, I must be really confused. I thought that widefs is used to interface both computers on the network. Then with gpsout on the server, it would send the fs2002 gps info to the client computer running the map program so that you can have a moving map. I had read that you can have a moving map (using Delorme or Microsoft Streets)by using widefs and gpsout. So am I way off base? Thanks.

Wow, I must be really confused.

Yes :-)

I thought that widefs is used to interface both computers on the network.

Yes, WideFS is used to link FS to FS applications across a Network. That is what it does. Whatever FS applications you have, if they interface to FSUIPC on the FS PC, they will also work across the Network under WideFS. No confusion so far ...

Then with gpsout on the server, it would send the fs2002 gps info to the client computer running the map program so that you can have a moving map.

No, there you go completely wrong. GPSout is absolutely nothing to do with WideFS. There;s no sense of "Server" and "Client" here. GPSout is simply a little module which sends out NMEA 0183-compatible messages through your chosen COM port (NOT a Network), which can be read through a COM port input on any other computer (even palmtop or MAC or anything). The PC+FS+GPSout combination emulates a real genuine GPS, sending out the same messages on the COM port as a real GPS does.

There are many map and atlas programs which will accept input from a GPS, on a COM port, and plot the moving vehicle you are in. Your PC+FS+GPSout system isn't really moving, but the messages say it is, so that's what the mapping programs accept.

I had read that you can have a moving map (using Delorme or Microsoft Streets)by using widefs and gpsout. So am I way off base? Thanks.

You are only way off base by mentioning WideFS, which is nothing to do with it. WideFS extends the FSUIPC interface for programs written especially for FS and interfacing to it via FSUIPC. There are mapping programs which do this, NAV3 by Ted Wright, for instance. But Delorme do not write any Flight Sim programs, and Microsoft have not so far written any mapping programs for FS either.

The program you mention probably have interfaces in them to allow outputs form GPS devices to connect in them, so they can be used for navigation in a moving vehicle -- car or aircraft, etc. My GPSout module just takes advantage of that and uses the same connection. (I say "probably" because I do not know those programs. I know Autoroute and Jeppesen Flitemap have GPS input facilities, but I don't know all programs).

You need to understand how the program you are using for the map wants its input connection, then configure GPSout to suit, just as you would configure your GPS.

Pete

Guest fsjunkey

ok, thanks very much for the explnation! Yes, both of those programs work with gps signals and supposedly will interact with your gpsout. I just need to figure out how to get it to "talk" to those map programs. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Gary

Yes, both of those programs work with gps signals and supposedly will interact with your gpsout. I just need to figure out how to get it to "talk" to those map programs.

For GSPout to work in FS2002 you also need FSUIPC installed. FSUIPC corrects some aspects of FS2002 which GPSout needs.

However, since WideFS also needs FSUIPC I assume you have it installed already. If so, then GPSout will already be sending messages on your COM port, whichever you told it to in GPSout.ini.

It could well be your map programs which need configuring to suit the GPS options and COM baud rate (line speed) you've set in GPSout.ini. Most real GPS's are set to use 4800 bps by default (this is the NMEA-stipulated default), so start there, and try the various sentences.

Check the documentation for the map programs, see how to configure the GPS input correctly.

Regards,

Pete

• 11 months later...

Peter,

Just for the record: in stead of using a null modem cable to couple the GPS-signal to another pc i've succesfully used Virtual COM Port (third party tool), which emulates a virtual COM port on your PC; in this way one can route the GPSOut output back into the SAME pc to a second virtual port to e.g. connect to FliteStar/FliteMap

I also tested TCP-COM, a third party tool to route COM-output over a TCP/IP network to another PC. I tested this using FS2004 on one pc and FliteMap IFR on a second pc. Supercool i must say!

Just though someone will find this usefull info :-)

Grz and see all of you on IVAO-network,

DAT274

Just for the record: in stead of using a null modem cable to couple the GPS-signal to another pc i've succesfully used Virtual COM Port (third party tool), which emulates a virtual COM port on your PC; in this way one can route the GPSOut output back into the SAME pc to a second virtual port to e.g. connect to FliteStar/FliteMap

I also tested TCP-COM, a third party tool to route COM-output over a TCP/IP network to another PC. I tested this using FS2004 on one pc and FliteMap IFR on a second pc. Supercool i must say!

Just though someone will find this usefull info :-)

Yes, indeed, they both sound useful. Can you provide links to where they may be found, please?

Thanks & Regards,

Pete

I actually have a military flight planning program w/moving map called Falconview. I'm registered as a developer and the SDK it came with has source code samples that allow -ANY- input source the user has to drive the moving map. It works great with GPSOut. My C coding is abysmal so I can't use any of the SDK to send FSUIPC info directly into the program either over the network or on the same computer. I suspect for a good coder this would take about 5 miuntes to do. I have all the documentation, type libraries, etc. for it. If someone wants to take a look at it they are welcome.