The simFlight Network Forums

FSX and FSUIPC Joystick Button Assignments Difference

Hello - I have just aquired a Saitek X52 Pro flight controller system (joystick and throttle) and whilst busy trying to sort out some non-working assignments on the X52 checked that I had exactly the same button assignments in FSUIPC and FSX settings. Here I noticed a difference in the joystick button assignments - FSUIPC is aparently using a base of 0 as the first button (or at least this is what shows up in FSUIPC when I depress the trigger button on the flight stick) whereas FSX uses a base of 1 (if I try to check this switch assignment in FSX the settings will assign the number 1 to the same trigger button). All button numbering is offset by 1 digit.

Is this just my system and will it cause conflicts between FSX and FSUIPC when assigning commands to the X52 and other external user input devices?.

I do experience some problems in getting the simlulator to [for example] raise/lower the landing gear by assigning 'G' to a flight stick switch using FSUIPC - it just refuses to work?.

Am I missing something here - is there any work around to get FSUIPC and FSX using the same button/switch numbers?.

Is it correct that what ever is set to happen in FSUIPC re buttons n switches that these also need to be mirrored in FSX settings?.

Rather confused, but I am getting on a bit.... any assistance appreciated.

This topic is also under discussion on the Saitek support forum http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=10786

FSUIPC is aparently using a base of 0 as the first button (or at least this is what shows up in FSUIPC when I depress the trigger button on the flight stick) whereas FSX uses a base of 1 (if I try to check this switch assignment in FSX the settings will assign the number 1 to the same trigger button). All button numbering is offset by 1 digit.

FSUIPC has always counted from 0. The button numbers are actually bit numbers in a 32-bit DWORD supplied by the Windows API for joysticks. Bit 0 is the least signifcant bit and gives me button number 0, and so on up to a maximum of 31 for the top bit. The button number is actually used to produce a mask to test for the bit to change, so it must accord to the bit being seen from Windows.

Is this just my system and will it cause conflicts between FSX and FSUIPC when assigning commands to the X52 and other external user input devices?.

No, it isn't your system, and it won't cause any problems whatsoever as it is just an identity used to relate a button indication to some action in FSUIPC. I could have called them after characters in Alice in Wonderland (button TweedleDee and TweedleDum, for example ), but it would have taken more space. I thought numbers would be okay! :-(

I do experience some problems in getting the simlulator to [for example] raise/lower the landing gear by assigning 'G' to a flight stick switch using FSUIPC - it just refuses to work?.

It is probably repeating -- "G" is a Gear toggle. Why convert buttons to keypresses which are then assigned in FS to FS controls? You never need to use any key presses for such things -- look down the list of FS controls and assign it directly!

Please do peruse the documentation provided. It is all explained in there.

Am I missing something here - is there any work around to get FSUIPC and FSX using the same button/switch numbers?

Why on Earth would you want to? It is totally irrelevant. Just program whatever buttons you want, then go fly. Why worry about the numbers?

Is it correct that what ever is set to happen in FSUIPC re buttons n switches that these also need to be mirrored in FSX settings?.

No of course not!!! Use one or the other, not both! If you are assigning them in both places you wil get double actions!! No wonder your Gear button doesn't work! :-(

I really don't know why you are using FSUIPC for button assignments, but a light perusal of the relevant sections of the documentation might help if you intend to. For the sorts of things you are talking about, what is wrong with FS assignments anyway?

Regards

Pete