The simFlight Network Forums

FSX - Registering Wide FS?

Firstly my apologies - I have searched but could not find the answer.

I have a fully registered copy Wide FS for FS9. Today I have purchased a license for FSUIPC for FSX and I interpreted the web site as not requiring me to purchase a new Wide FS license {as the FSX server is already in FSUIPC4}.

However, while I can immediately register FSUIPC4 in FSX, I cannot remove the "register Wide FS" box.

Grateful for advice.

John Rooum

I have a fully registered copy Wide FS for FS9. Today I have purchased a license for FSUIPC for FSX and I interpreted the web site as not requiring me to purchase a new Wide FS license {as the FSX server is already in FSUIPC4}.

Can you explain how you managed to interpret it like that? Just because, for ease of installation and better performance, I did not maintain the WideServer.DLL separately, does not mean it was not re-written for FSX and is, in fact, a new product and separately registrable. The only common code in the Wideserver7 part of FSUIPC4 with the WideServer 6 DLL is the part handling the Network, which hasn't changed very much for many years, being based on Microsoft examples.

Installing FSUIPC4.DLL in FSX is akin to installing both FSUIPC3 and WideServer in FS2004. But in neither case are both automatically registered without a key. The only difference having WideServer code incorporated in FSUIPC4, apart from the performance advantages, is that it saves you having to add a new version of WideServer.DLL. It doesn't not mean WideFS7 is now free.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete.

"Interpretation" was the wrong word. Particularly as I am English and not many miles away from you.

I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of FSUIPC but when I read that the "client part is the same as before" etc, I am afraid that the wish was master of the thought and I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Ah well, off to SimMarket for Wide FS {and I have missed out on the bundle - that'll teach me}.

Best Wishes

John