The simFlight Network Forums

Newbie Questions FSUPIC4 and FS Clouds (also why no add-on)

Peter or anybody--

When I first loaded FSUPIC4 i got an add-on dialogue in the FSX menu. This is how I was able to get the key-code (I bought my version of FSUPIC4). However, after I added MY Traffic to FSX, the add-on dialogue is gone. Help!

Also-- I thought that if I added FSUPIC4 that I could add-on programs to FSX that were for my old FS 2000 version. I tried FS Clouds, for instance, with no luck.

I'm a green newbie so need a lot of help and advice.

Rod

When I first loaded FSUPIC4 i got an add-on dialogue in the FSX menu. This is how I was able to get the key-code (I bought my version of FSUPIC4). However, after I added MY Traffic to FSX, the add-on dialogue is gone. Help!

Didn't you look on the My Traffic forum about this? According to Burkhard Renk, the MyTrafficX author, it must be your error because he says the MyTraffic installation instructions are clear, that you EDIT the "DLL.XML" file if it exists, but COPY it if it doesn't.

You must have made that error and copied his DLL.XML file and lost the original. That would lose the installation of ANY and ALL Simconnect add-in DLLs and other facilities, such as those installed from the FSX SDK.

The FSUIPC4 installer edits the DLL.XML and saves you the bother, so it is easy to recover FSUIPC4 (less so any others). Just run the FSUIPC4 installer again. While you are at it you might as well update to version 4.07, now available.

Also-- I thought that if I added FSUPIC4 that I could add-on programs to FSX that were for my old FS 2000 version. I tried FS Clouds, for instance, with no luck.

FS2000? Phew.

Well, FSUIPC does provide compatibility all the way back to FS98 for program which USE FSUIPC and don't depend on FS itself. FS Clouds is the opposite. It doesn't use FSUIPC, and it is a replacement set of cloud graphics for a very old version of FS -- certainly needed back then when FS's own clouds weren't so good. But why would you even consider replacing FSX's lovely clouds with older lesser graphics, even if you could?

Other things which are related to FS, and not normally to FSUIPC, include add-on scenery and add-on aircraft. Though there are some sophisticated aircraft which use FSUIPC they are mostly dependent upon FS itself for graphics, panels and so on.

Regards

Pete

...by the way... two of my favorite programs for FS 2000 were those in the subject line. What about FSX compatibility through FSUPIDC4?

I don't remember it well, but wasn't "Real ATC" merely a lot of pre-recorded ATC stuff played as adventures? It certainly wasn't an FSUIPC program, and support for Adventures using the old adventure programming lanuage (APL) was discontinued by Microsoft a long time ago -- 5 years ago, in FS2002, I think.

As for AETI Pro flight In Command, I don't know that one at all, but it sounds like it is adventure based too.

Don't you have any documentation for any of this antique stuff? I'm sure it would say if it needed FSUIPC, and whether it needs installing IN FS, in which case it almost certainly will NOT be compatible with any other version, or is simply run as an external program.

Many add-ons for FS98 were updated for FS2000, and the same from FS2000 to FS2002 and FS2002 to FS2004, but jumping from FS2000 all the way to FSX it seems most unlikely that anything would transfer at all, and even those things that would work are probably not worth it, as the FS technology and capabilities are so far in advance now.

Why not try flying FSX for a while, investigate the lessons and the missions, see how far it has all come on since FS2000 days. I think you'll find most things you were adding in FS2000 are either already there now, and in a much improved way, as well a new things like the built-in ATC, other aircraft and ground vehicles, and excellent weather capabilities.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete-- will take your advice.

Just wanted you to know that before I signed up for this forum I read a lot of the posts and your replies-- its amazing how prompt and helpful you are regarding FSUIPC4 and just general flight sim issues. I hope the people in this forum appreciate you-- I certainly do.

Rod