The simFlight Network Forums

Axis Assignment to Joy name not number

Hi,

I am using different hardware controls for Fs depending on the kind of Aircraft i like to fly. The default Fs9 joystick setup uses the joystick name as a reference for what axis does what. If i unplugged joysticks and plugged in another, fs9 just recognized the joystick and automatically assigned the correct function to its axis. I´ve now been experimenting with Fsuipc, because it has better abilities to set things up (i.e. assigning Cowl Flaps), but it assigns functions to a joysticknumber. If i pull one joystick out (i.e. Cougar) and use another one (i.e. Yoke and ThrottleQuadrant) it assigns the axis simply to the joysticknumber.

Is it possible to change this?

Is there a way to get an overview about what function is assigned to what axis?

And/or is it possible to use the Fs9 Joystick assignment, but use Fsuipc for calibrating and button assignment? I tried doing this, but Fsuipc keeps assigning functions to axis ( i am probably doing something wrong here...)

Is there a way to stop Fsuipc from Assigning Axis?

Best regards and thanks for the continuing development of Fsuipc.

André

:)

I´ve now been experimenting with Fsuipc, because it has better abilities to set things up (i.e. assigning Cowl Flaps), but it assigns functions to a joysticknumber. If i pull one joystick out (i.e. Cougar) and use another one (i.e. Yoke and ThrottleQuadrant) it assigns the axis simply to the joysticknumber.

Provided the same joystick has the same joystick number each time this shouldn't matter in the slightest. You shouldn't need to know the name or the number.

Earlier versions of Windows had some identification problems with USB devices, assigning them differently each time Windows booted or each time you disconnected and reconnected the same device. Windows XP or later should give you no problems, whether you remove and reconnect them, or, better, simply keep them all connected all the time. after all Windows can handle and differentiate between something like 128 different devices.

If you sometimes run FS without one of the joysticks connected, you need to take care, as next time you run it with it connected it may decide it is new and automatically re-assign them. This may give double assignments if you are also assigning them in FSUIPC.

Is it possible to change this?

Why would you want to? Sorry, I'm obviously missing something.

Is there a way to get an overview about what function is assigned to what axis?

If you are assigning them in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments, then go to that tab, move that axis and read what it is assigned to do. Rescan for each.

And/or is it possible to use the Fs9 Joystick assignment, but use Fsuipc for calibrating and button assignment?

Yes, of course. That is the more usual way of doing things. The axis assignment facilities were a recent addition. The others have been incorporated in FSUIPC for many years and are the most used. The axis assignments were only added for additional flexibility -- especially aircraft-specific assignments, so different controls could be used for, say, a helo as opposed to a prop or a jet), and they are perhaps also a little more efficient.

I tried doing this, but Fsuipc keeps assigning functions to axis ( i am probably doing something wrong here...)

Is there a way to stop Fsuipc from Assigning Axis?

FSUIPC never assigns any axes on its own. It only does what you tell it to do. FS itself is the part which does automatic assignment when it sees a new device.

If you want to delete your already-made FSUIPC assignments, just edit the FSUIPC.INI file and delete the [Axes] section (and any [Axes.] sections you may have created if you were using Aircraft-Specific assignments.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your quick response.

I solved my problem by deleting everything in the Axis department from the fsuipc.ini file. There were a lot of axis defined by me in the past and due to connecting and reconnecting there were axis still defined that i didn´t know of, i lost the overview. By simply deleting everything i can start fresh. I now simply use the FS assignment and use Fsuipc to calibrate and assign features that fs9 doesn´t support natively.

I know it´s probably better to leave everything connected to the pc all the time. But some of the other programs i run don´t accept more than 3 input devices. Besides this, i don´t have the place to keep all the devices stored next to the computer.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

André

:)