The simFlight Network Forums

Rudder trim/aileron trim

in FS9 can I use have rudder and aileron trim using joystick analogs? In game controllers my x and z axis show up in the second joystick section but they don't work in the fsuipc modules joystick calibration tab page for rudder trim or aileron trim. The in out boxes stay at 0 when I move the axis.

in FS9 can I use have rudder and aileron trim using joystick analogs?

Yes.

In game controllers my x and z axis show up in the second joystick section

Not sure what you mean by "second joystick section". Are they seen in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments tab? In FSUIPC version 3 only 6 axes per joystick can be seen and assigned. FSUIPC 4 (for FSX) can handle all 8 supported by DirectX, but FSUIPC 3 uses an earlier Windows facility for joysticks.

but they don't work in the fsuipc modules joystick calibration tab page for rudder trim or aileron trim. The in out boxes stay at 0 when I move the axis.

How have you so assigned the axes? The FSUIPC joystick calibration facilities can only calibrate assigned axes. You have to either assign them to the functions you need in FS itself, or in FSUIPC's axis assignments facility. FSUIPC cannot guess what axis you want for each function.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Peter for your prompt reply.

In my fs9.cfg file I have 2 [JOYSTICK-main SECTIONS

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {5B550FE0-62A8-11DA-8001-444553540000}]

AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SET

AXIS_SCALE_00=64

AXIS_NULL_00=36

AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET

AXIS_SCALE_01=64

AXIS_NULL_01=36

AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_RUDDER_SET

AXIS_SCALE_02=127

AXIS_NULL_02=1

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {5B550FE0-62A8-11DA-8002-444553540000}]

AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET

AXIS_SCALE_00=127

AXIS_NULL_00=1

AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_RUDDER_TRIM_SET

AXIS_SCALE_01=127

AXIS_NULL_01=1

AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_AILERON_TRIM_SET

AXIS_SCALE_02=127

AXIS_NULL_02=1

if I save my fs9.cfg settings and reopen the file they are still there but when I start fs9 the rudder trim and aileron trim sets are removed from my fs9.cfg file. The elev trim remains and it works but the other two do not.

No, they don't show up in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments tab.

if I save my fs9.cfg settings and reopen the file they are still there but when I start fs9 the rudder trim and aileron trim sets are removed from my fs9.cfg file. The elev trim remains and it works but the other two do not.

How did you add them to the FS9.CFG file in the first place? If you didn't do it via the FS Assignments dialogue, they probably are not legal assignments for FS, only therefore supported via FSUIPC. As far as I remember, the rudder and aileron trim axes are not supported by FS itself.

If you can assign them to two otherwise unused axes in FS, then you can edit parameters in FSUIPC.INI to use them as for these trims -- see the Advanced User's documentation, the section entitled "Assignment of additional controls". You'll need the list of FS controls too to get the numerical values.

No, they don't show up in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments tab.

If you have axes not showing in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments then they aren't being detected in the standard Windows joystick driver routines, possibly only in DirectX as the two extra ones it supported. Check them with the attached "joyview" program -- if that doesn't see them, they aren't seen by FSUIPC3 either.

Regards

Pete

joyview.zip

I guess I should have mentioned this first.

I load an EPIC program to run my fs9. it gives me two game controllers (EPIC USB (HID)). the second one has the X, Y and Z axis I was trying to use. The X worked the elevator trim o.k. but the other 2 never got recognized in fs or FSUIPC.

I see there are no options for the rudder trim or the aileron trim in fs9. That, I guess, is why they disappeared from the fs9.cfg file after I tried just installing them by hand into the fs9.cfg file.

I will read your "assignment of additional controls " section to see if I can understand it. Thank you for all your help thus far. It is appreciated.

Stephen Kupchack

I load an EPIC program to run my fs9. it gives me two game controllers (EPIC USB (HID)). the second one has the X, Y and Z axis I was trying to use. The X worked the elevator trim o.k. but the other 2 never got recognized in fs or FSUIPC.

In that case they can't be used for anything at all. Sounds like you need to look at the Epic programming to make those two axes work correctly.

I see there are no options for the rudder trim or the aileron trim in fs9. That, I guess, is why they disappeared from the fs9.cfg file after I tried just installing them by hand into the fs9.cfg file.

Yes, exactly.

I will read your "assignment of additional controls " section to see if I can understand it.

There's nothing much to understand. It is merely a matter of "stealing" two axes wich can be assigned in FS to use as axes which FS doesn't support directly.

But none of that will be of any use if nothing recognises your axes in the first place. Your first need is to make them work properly.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter:

When I said the y and z axis weren't recognized in fs I was not correct.

They were seen in fs. I just couldn't assign them to rudder or aileron trim because there were none.

Now I will "steal" two unused axis and assign them in fs. Looks like you have solved my problem.

I will post my results after I have finished.

Once again, thank you.

Regards.

Steve K.

Now I will "steal" two unused axis and assign them in fs. Looks like you have solved my problem.

Okaythat is one way, the 'original' way implemented in FSUIPC.

The possibly easier way is to assign them in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments, using the "direct to FSUIPC calibration" option. In the drop-down list there you will certainly find both of those Trim Axes for assignment.

However, if you do it this "more modern" way, be sure to check that FS itself hasn't also automatically assigned the same axes to something else -- if it has, they will operate both assignments.

Regards

Pete