The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and WideFS, which version's should I be runnng

Hello Peter,

I am currently using FSUIPC3 (registered) and will be networking my computer with a new one in the coming weeks. I would like to run ActiveSky and FSBuild on the "old" computer and as I see it I will require WideFS to link the 2 computers together.

On the new computer I will be running FS9 for a while and then FSX will be installed so my question is do I have to purhcase FSUIPC4 or can I run everything with the older version of FSUIPC3?

Also, you should have Simmarket remove the "upgrade special" since the 6 month grace period has expired and it is a slap on the face to those of us who have supported FSUIPC since the early days. I cannot remember ever receiving an upgrade notice from Simmarket and I know that it is not within your control as to what publishers decide, but maybe you can remind them that the offer is still there.

Thanks,

On the new computer I will be running FS9 for a while and then FSX will be installed so my question is do I have to purhcase FSUIPC4 or can I run everything with the older version of FSUIPC3?

FSUIPC4 is for FSX, FSUIPC3 is for FS9. They are completely distinct programs and products.

Also, you should have Simmarket remove the "upgrade special" since the 6 month grace period has expired

Does it actually say "6 months"? I thought it quoted a date in April last year. Do you think that offer should be withdrawn? It is quite normal to offer a discount to those who may have only had a few months use out of a product.

and it is a slap on the face to those of us who have supported FSUIPC since the early days.

Ersorry, I don't understand. Are you saying those who've had a full 3 or 4 years use of of a continually maintained, improved and supported product for one small fee up front three or four years ago deserve more of a discount than those who've only had a few months use from it? That really makes no sense to me. Can you explain?

I cannot remember ever receiving an upgrade notice from Simmarket

Why would you? Did Microsoft write to you and tell you to upgrade to FSX? Surely you purchase add-ons for FSX when you've got FSX. FSUIPC4 is one of them, if you want it. Many say you don't need it now that FSX has SimConnect. It's your choice, and I don't see that it's any of SimMarket's or my business to tell you. And how would we do it? Ask Microsoft to tell us of every FSX activation? I don't think that's allowed -- something to do with privacy.

I really don't know where you are coming from with this! :-(

and I know that it is not within your control as to what publishers decide, but maybe you can remind them that the offer is still there.

I still don't understand why you think it should be terminated. Obviously neither they nor I would mind ending it as it would bring more money in, perhaps. But why on Earth would you want this to happen?

Regards

Pete

FSUIPC4 is for FSX, FSUIPC3 is for FS9. They are completely distinct programs and products.

OK, understood.