The simFlight Network Forums

No Addon menu after FSX Repair

Guest troppo1

Guest troppo1

I had turned on FSX without an internet connection and ended up with a Cannot Activate Error, FSX loads but no Multiplayer Menu.

After a Repair I can no longer get the Addons Menu to show.

I have uninstalled FSUIPC, reinstalled it, uninstalled the Virus scanner ( wasnt able to uninstall because I had it already deleted) and turned off the Firewall, Ran Regedit and deleted all ref to AVG, FSUIPC, still no luck. I have tried 3 different versions, registered with and without Widefs, unregistered with and without Widefs, still no luck.

I have Deleted the Simconnect.dll and done a repair, still no luck.

If I do a system restore back 1 mth I get FSUIPC ok but then I get the Cannot Activte Error( maybe my IP has changed or something) and FSX loads but without Multiplayer in the menu.

FSX registers FSUIPC at startup and it is in the fsx.cfg file, but no matter what I do it wont show in the Addons menu.

Next Idea?

I had turned on FSX without an internet connection and ended up with a Cannot Activate Error, FSX loads but no Multiplayer Menu.

I often run FSX with no Internet connection. It doesn't need one -- and it doesn't need continual activation. Surely you had activated it before now? Folks without internet connections can and do use FSX, and activate it by 'phone just as with Windows and other Microsoft products.

... I can no longer get the Addons Menu to show.

I have uninstalled FSUIPC, reinstalled it, uninstalled the Virus scanner ( wasnt able to uninstall because I had it already deleted) and turned off the Firewall, Ran Regedit and deleted all ref to AVG, FSUIPC, still no luck. I have tried 3 different versions, registered with and without Widefs, unregistered with and without Widefs, still no luck.

I have Deleted the Simconnect.dll and done a repair, still no luck.

Unless you have Beta or Demo versions of FSX it cannot be to do with versions of FSUIPC, and certainly never anything to do with registration. There are only two things which can stop the Add-Ons menu appearing: either SimConnect isn't actually loading FSUIPC (or any other add-ons for that matter), or it is loading them but then they are being blocked from talking to it.

These two causes can be distinguished quite easily. If FSUIPC is being loaded it WILL always produce a Log file, no matter how short. So you only need check the date/time on the Log file. The log is either in the FSX Modules folder or, for Vista, it may be in the Documents\Flight simulator X Files folder. Naturally if it isn't being loaded it cannot run therefor no log file is produced.

If I do a system restore back 1 mth I get FSUIPC ok but then I get the Cannot Activte Error( maybe my IP has changed or something) and FSX loads but without Multiplayer in the menu.

I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about the MP side of things, but I'm pretty sure you don't need an Internet connection, as you can use multiple PCs in a local Network for MP in shared cockpit mode.

FSX registers FSUIPC at startup and it is in the fsx.cfg file, but no matter what I do it wont show in the Addons menu.

What does "FSX registers FSUIPC at startup" mean? And how is there any mentyion of FSUIPC in the cfg file? Do you mean where it asks whether to run FSUIPC or not? Best read the "Important FSUIPC4 Installation Notes" Announcement above so you understand this part.

If it looks like it is being loaded, then look in the Log. If it cannot Open SimConnect then it is certainly being blocked by firewall or other security software activity, despite you saying you've switched this off. With some programs it's more a matter of uninstalling them completely in any case. I use both Microsoft Windows XP firewall and Norton's firewalls without any problem though.

Maybe you should instead find a way of fixing the original MP problem. It sounds more tractable. Try asking about all this on the FS2004 Forum, but it may be a case for MS tech support as you seem to have some weird stuff going on from the off.

Regards

Pete

Guest troppo1

FSX Deluxe( Bought not Pirated or demo)was Activated months ago, thats why i can use System restore to go back 1mth and FSUIPC is Registered and working fine, but the no activation error is there although it wasnt when the Restore point was made..

I know people can use FSX on XP without an internet connection, but for me this time it came up with Cannot Activate. Fixed that from the MS Helpdesk by downloading a file from them, running it, checking the Reg, running Repair and reactivating.

All is working fine again after the Activation except the addon menu, therefore TrackIR and I-vibe are also not working, tho I didnt think I needed FSUIPC for Track IR, My I-vibe software does, as do my throttle quadrant and trim wheel( works great when calibrated and setup).

Any other idea's on what steps to take next?

""

Do you mean where it asks whether to run FSUIPC or not? Best read the "Important FSUIPC4 Installation Notes" Announcement above so you understand this part. ""

Yes It asks to trust FSUIPC, Yes it is in the Trusted section of the FSX.CFG, yes I have read the Notes, Yes I have turned off, deleted uninstalled and every other thing that it says to do.( I think)

"

If it looks like it is being loaded, then look in the Log"

I'll check the Log, hadnt thought of that one yet. (I'm at work, back at the PC soon)

And if it is in the Log? What do I look for or do? If it is not in the Log, What do I look for or do

The MP issue is fixed by the Repair, the Loss of FSUIPC is caused by the Repair to fix the MP issue after the Activation issue that started it all.

MS need shooting over the Activation issue as I have not changed a thing on my pc since first built. FSX, XP and FSUIPC have been on it since the start and all I did was turn it on before the Client Internet pc had run internet through to the Server Pc.

All is working fine again after the Activation except the addon menu, therefore TrackIR and I-vibe are also not working, tho I didnt think I needed FSUIPC for Track IR, My I-vibe software does, as do my throttle quadrant and trim wheel( works great when calibrated and setup).

TrackIR doesn't need FSUIPC, but it certainly needs SimConnect working correctly.

Any other idea's on what steps to take next?

Well, the first, as I mentioned, is to check whether FSUIPC is being loaded or not. Did you see if there was a log? If not then SimConnect is not installed correctly and nothing is being loaded. If there is, what does it say?

And if it is in the Log? What do I look for or do? If it is not in the Log, What do I look for or do

As I said in my first reply. Sorry, but there's nothing else I know. Obviously if nothing using SimConnect is working, then nothing using SimConnect works, including FSUIPC. I cannot fix FSX problems, only FSUIPC ones.

But let's try to get more informationfirst the FSUIPC log, then, maybe, a SimConnect log -- to see why it may think there's a problem.

Regards

Pete

Guest troppo1

Thanks Pete, Thats what I thought, Simconnect is at fault because of the TrackIR not working and due to the fact that if I do a sytem restore I get it all working but then also the Cannot Activate Error which wasnt there when I made the system restore, (Sytem Restores are made once per week after a good cleanup and Defrag) but I have no idea yet how to fix it.

Will check out logs and see what else I can come up with when I get home from work.

Flying without TrackIR and I-vibe is just not flying for me as is no Multiplayer, our group fly together nearly 4hrs per day most days during the week.

Guest troppo1

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WideFS7 Key is provided

Running inside FSX

Module base=61000000

DebugStatus=255

125 System time = 23:22:15

125 FLT UNC path = "\\FLYING\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

125 FS UNC path = "\\FLYING\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1375 LogOptions=00000001

1391 SimConnect_Open succeeded: proceeding to initialise interface!

10547 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.60905.0 (SimConnect: 2.0.60905.0)

38312 System time = 23:22:54

38312 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 2 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

This was the last attempt before midnight when I gave up and went to bed

Guest troppo1

After reading the FSUIPC log I checked in the Simmconnect folder before deleting it and low and behold!!!!! There is no Simconnect.dll in the folder and that is after 2 repairs.

At least I now know why nothing would work.

Now for Repair nr 3 and if that dont work then uninstall and reinstall FSX

10547 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.60905.0 (SimConnect: 2.0.60905.0)

The fact that FSUIPC is being loaded and that the Open succeeded is good, but 38 seconds is surely not enough time for it to have loaded into normal flight mode? It takes a lot longer than that here!

Assuming that it really doesn't get any further, we'll need a Simconnect log to see what is going on. Please see the FSX Help announcement to see how to do that. The file could get pretty big, so it would need Zipping. You can send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards

Pete

Guest troppo1

The fact that FSUIPC is being loaded and that the Open succeeded is good, but 38 seconds is surely not enough time for it to have loaded into normal flight mode? It takes a lot longer than that here!

Regards

Pete

Yes I know, but I had done it 20 times already and my I-vibe seat vibrates as FSX is loading when all is well, so I knew it hadnt worked when the seat was still dead.

Yes I know, but I had done it 20 times already and my I-vibe seat vibrates as FSX is loading when all is well, so I knew it hadnt worked when the seat was still dead.

But my point is that if you let it run longer there might be more information in the log.

Assuming that it really doesn't get any further, we'll need a Simconnect log to see what is going on. Please see the FSX Help announcement to see how to do that. The file could get pretty big, so it would need Zipping. You can send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards

Pete

Guest troppo1

I watched on the second screen as the Folder was made and checked inside to see if there was the dll. As soon as FSX started and my seat started to vibrate I knew it was ok.

The Thing now is:

Did I delete Just the Dll instead of the whole folder?

Doesnt it put the DLL back in the Folder if the folder is present or just check to see if the folder is present?

What started the whole thing in the first place.

Thanks Pete for your help and your patience.

Now to rebuild my CFG files again

I watched on the second screen as the Folder was made and checked inside to see if there was the dll. As soon as FSX started and my seat started to vibrate I knew it was ok.

Sorry, you've lost me. Are you saying it is now okay? What did you do?

The Thing now is:

Did I delete Just the Dll instead of the whole folder?

Doesnt it put the DLL back in the Folder if the folder is present or just check to see if the folder is present?

Are you talking about the SimConnect side-by-side folder with the long weird name? As far as I knew you have to delete the whole folder to get FSX to repair the SimConnect installation. I've no idea why. I don't really understand that aspect of Windows -- Side-by-side DLLs (where you can have multiple versions and Windows matches them up).

Regards

Pete

Guest troppo1

Yes pete, everything is working ok.

I did what MS helpdesk said to do, downloaded their fix, ran it, checked the Registry( didnt need to change anything as it was as it was supposed to be), ran the Repair and Reactivated. No Fsuipc..

It seems that the Repair did not place the Simmconnect.dll in the Folder because I was looking for the Simconnect log in the C drive and decided to look to make sure all was ok in the Simconnect folder and thats when I found the folder but no DLL.

Deleted the folder and ran Repair again(3rd time) and watched the Simconnect folder and dll install, they are made right at the end of the Repair.

Booted Fsx and all was well.

Doesnt explain why I had the prob to start with and doesnt explain why after 2 Repairs there was no Simconnect.DLL in the folder.

But it is all working again.