The simFlight Network Forums

Airbus Offsets

Hi Pete,

I'm using an Airbus on FS2004, has you know there are a lot

of things that are specific to Airbus, that I can't find on your

list of offsets.

Is there anyway to find it ?? Or I have to ask the planes author.

Thanks and Regards.

Pedro

I'm using an Airbus on FS2004, has you know there are a lot

of things that are specific to Airbus, that I can't find on your

list of offsets.

What things are specific to Airbus and built into FS? Mostly it's jyst differences in terminology. You tell me what you are looking for.

Is there anyway to find it ??

Only if you know what you are looking for. I don't know of anything important missing. You tell me.

Or I have to ask the planes author.

If the aircraft panel has additional things which are not part of FS but added by the author, then in all likelihood they are only acccessible via whatever means the author has provided -- maybe even only mouse clicks. Why do you think there may be FSUIPC offsets for anything he's added? Does the aircraft even use FSUIPC?

Regards

Pete

In this case, I'm looking for operating the keys in the pedestal for ECAM switching.

ECAM = Electronic Centralised Aircraft Monitor, which is more or less equivalent to the EICAS display units for Boeing, I think. The switching of display modes for these in both Boeing and Airbus will be local to the gauge implementations itself. It isn't an inbuilt FS function I'm afraid, so FSUIPC wouldn't know anything about it.

For add-on cockpits it is most likely that such functionality is provided in the panel code written by the aircraft maker. He has probably provided mouseclick capabilities for the switching, less likely to have provided keyboard shortcuts, and actually most unlikely to have used any FSUIPC offsets for it. But you'll need to consult the documentation to determine which.

For mouse-only programming you might be able to program things using Key2Mouse, a program from Luciano Napolitano, then program the keys via FSUIPC.

For keyboard shortcuts you can program those through FSUIPC.

For FSUIPC offsets, there are two cases. First they may either be published already, or at least freely available. Second they may be kept secret by the aircraft maker, in order to control the connectivity to his product.

So, I suggest a thorough search of the documentation, and if that doesn't help, an inquiry to the author/publisher. I wouldn't help actually stating the name of the product here and in the cockpit-builders forum, as someone may already have dealt with this issue.

Regards

Pete

• 3 months later...

I'm using now POSKY A340, it uses the standard offsets, but I have a question, I think there are no available

offsets for the Airbus Throttle, TOGA FLX CL....

Is this right ?

FS only provides a normal analogue throttle, not a fly-by-wire discrete mode selector. Anything simulated like that by the add-on with have controls determined by that add-on -- maybe there are keystrokes, or maybe it determines them by using little ranges of values in the "real" analogue throttle inputs. I don't know. You'll have to check its documentation. Either way you should be able to handle it.

Regards

Pete

What about EFIS range for example

On my Airbus I can define a keyboard key for example “ND range increase” and “ND range decrease” but not for each position, so I don’t know how to do it with a rotating switch on my cockpit???

Is there offsets for the EFIS switchs ??

This is what I found on the docs

EFIS active (1=enabled)

EFIS VOR/ILS elevation in metres

EFIS density: 0=thin, 1=medium, 2=thick

EFIS range: 0=short, 1=medium, 2=long <-- Maybe this one is what I want but only for 3 ranges ????

EFIS mode: 0=normal, 1=reset, 2=plot intercept

EFIS via VOR (2) or ILS (4)

EFIS NAV select (1 or 2)

EFIS display type: 0=rectangles, 1=telegraph poles, 2=yellow brick road

Thanks for your help.

What about EFIS range for example

No. Apart from the altimeter adjustment ("BARO" to change the QNH), and the "STD" button for setting standard pressure when flying Flight Levels, those settings are maintained and actioned within the gauges themselves. They are local to the panel, not part of FS's simulation engine and not equipped with programmable controls.

On my Airbus I can define a keyboard key for example “ND range increase” and “ND range decrease” but not for each position, so I don’t know how to do it with a rotating switch on my cockpit???

This is an oversight on the part of the aircraft designer, or just a different market than that targetted. They aren't catering for fully equipped hardware cockpits. If you want full facilities like that you may want to check out Project Magenta.

This is what I found on the docs

EFIS active (1=enabled)

EFIS VOR/ILS elevation in metres

EFIS density: 0=thin, 1=medium, 2=thick

EFIS range: 0=short, 1=medium, 2=long <-- Maybe this one is what I want but only for 3 ranges ????

EFIS mode: 0=normal, 1=reset, 2=plot intercept

EFIS via VOR (2) or ILS (4)

EFIS NAV select (1 or 2)

EFIS display type: 0=rectangles, 1=telegraph poles, 2=yellow brick road

I can see why you are confused -- these (now long unsupported) offsets in FSUIPC relate entirely to a heads-up navigational training aid implemented in FS -- the rectangles, telegraph poles and so on were actually displayed in the sky in front of you, to show you where to fly to follow a VOR radial or ILS. Microsoft called it "EFIS", but it isn't in any way related to the glass cockpit controls you are talking about.

Regards

Pete

How the hell, can you answer so fast ?? :-)

Luck. I just happpened to be here when it arrive. ;-)

I would love to have PMagenta but for now I have to look to another options because of the pricing.

You might want to look at other separate gauge systems, then, like the "FreeFD" range. Look at

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=mainglass2.htm

I don't know if the authors ever got around to doing Airbus, though, and maybe that software isn't easily available now either.

Regards

Pete