The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Crashes Flight Sim 2004 and Vista Home Premium

I have loaded a fresh install of FS9 into my brand new computer and copied across from my old computer's flight sim 9 modules folder my key file and latest FSUIPC.dll into the new computers FS9/Modules folder. I have not copied the .ini file.

I have selected run fs9.exe as Administrator and started a session of FS9. I go Alt, Modules and as soon as I select FSUIPC the program crashes to desktop.

The Vista is 32 bit Home Premium.

Any ideas how to get this working please.

Peter

I have selected run fs9.exe as Administrator and started a session of FS9. I go Alt, Modules and as soon as I select FSUIPC the program crashes to desktop.

What version of FSUIPC? If not the latest (3.74) please update and try again.

The Vista is 32 bit Home Premium.

It works fine with Vista Home Premium. I've installed it and registered on one myself.

Any ideas how to get this working please.

There's nothing special about the dialogue FSUIPC provides for the options. It is just a standard Windows dialogue using standard Windows API calls. It sounds like there is either something else in your system which interferes with these (like Window Blinds), or something else is wrong in the installation of Windows itself.

Please first try with the currently released supported version. If you still get the problem then it may be that a Vista repair is needed, although first a review of whatever else is running might be in order.

Regards

Pete

FSUIPC is vers 3.743

I tried it again and same result after exacting updated version from your website link.

and this is what Vista advises after CTD

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: fs9.exe

Application Version: 9.1.0.40901

Application Timestamp: 4135a208

Hang Signature: 7348

Hang Type: 6144

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 5129

Additional Hang Signature 1: 14dfbae485370538665722fd9de48432

Additional Hang Signature 2: bc5f

Additional Hang Signature 3: f4e79f1080bf6e83e42d79ed5200f654

Additional Hang Signature 4: 7348

Additional Hang Signature 5: 14dfbae485370538665722fd9de48432

Additional Hang Signature 6: bc5f

Additional Hang Signature 7: f4e79f1080bf6e83e42d79ed5200f654

Log file reads: I have xxx'ed out personal stuff

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.743 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004(original release)

User Name="xxx"

User Addr="xxx.co.nz"

FSUIPC Key is provided

FSUIPC not user registered

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=1

1045 System time = 17:14:26

1045 D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

1045 System time = 17:14:26, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

1716 FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.flt

1731 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

7566 C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\concorde.flt

7613 AIRCRAFT\BAe-Concorde\Concorde.air

8674 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

23213 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

32214 Traffic File #14 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic030528"

I see in the log that FSUIPC is not user registered. Could that be the problem?

How do I change it to user registered. I tried right clicking on the shortcut and also on the fs9.exe and "ran as administrator" but it still crashes.

I am new to Vista and new to this computer. I would not have a clue how to suss out a conflict that could cause this behaviour.

Peter

I see in the log that FSUIPC is not user registered. Could that be the problem?

No. You'd need to be able to get to the options display to register in any case.

It seems as if it must be a video driver problem. Have you tried switching FS to Windowed mode first, just to see?

I am new to Vista and new to this computer. I would not have a clue how to suss out a conflict that could cause this behaviour.

Nor have I, sorry. It simply has to be something wrong in Windows. The are lots of folks having lots of problems with Vista, and we are all looking forward to the first patch release. I have it installed on a test PC just to make sure there are no problems in my programs, but I wouldn't yet use it for any real work or flying.

Anyway, the video driver is my best guess. But try windowed mode (swap FS between full screen and windowed mode by ALT+ENTER).

Regards

Pete

Peter, I was able to change to Windowed Mode and access FSUIPC and register. I was even able to go back to non windowed mode and carry on flying. However trying to go back to FSUIPC in non windowed mode crashed the program. I will see if there are updated drivers for my Nvidia 8800GTS cards.

Cheerrs

Peter

Peter, I was able to change to Windowed Mode and access FSUIPC and register. I was even able to go back to non windowed mode and carry on flying. However trying to go back to FSUIPC in non windowed mode crashed the program. I will see if there are updated drivers for my Nvidia 8800GTS cards.

Ahbrand new card, brand new drivers, brand new operating system. Hmmm.

I would keep a look out for updates even if there are none at present. There's certainly no way anything in FSUIPC, nor in the standard Windows facilities, going to be faulty in one mode compared to the other. The differences are in the driver.

Meanwhile, you shouldn't need to go into FSUIPC options very often. Just use Windowed mode, set everything as you want, then exit and return to full screen, if that's your preferred mode.

Sometimes Windowed mode is better if you just maximise the window -- frame rates are normally the same, and dragging windows to other monitors is easier, as well as accessing other programs, of course. The only penalty normally is the title bar which can't be removed, but given a high enough resolution that is pretty narrow and unobtrusive.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just installed latest drivers of Nvidia site for 8800GTS, Vista, 32 bit and results are the same. I would be interested to see if any other users with a similar setup to mine have had the same issue. I believe there is an update to Vista due soon.

As you might imagine it is a big job transferring all the payware stuff over from my old machine to this superdooper one. Your FSUIPC, Active Sky, Radar Contact, SSTSIM Concorde, etc etc.

The decision to go with Vista was not taken lightly and these problems were anticipated with the hope that eventually the problems would be addressed with updates and fixes. Saitek have just issued a beta fix for their X52Pro software for example. Time will tell.

Cheers

Peter

Just installed latest drivers of Nvidia site for 8800GTS, Vista, 32 bit and results are the same.

Ah. Shame.

I have seen reports of FSX crashing (without any add-ons) when the settings (sliders) are up very high, and the opinion of many is that FSX is running out of usuable chunks of contiguous memory. It has no recovery built in if, when asking for a batch of memory, the request is refused. This is real (hard) memory. I don't know how much you have, but of course being a 32bit program it is limited to 2Gb in any case. And the situation would be worse under Vista as the operating system itself is greedier than XP.

Oddly this seems to have become more of a problem with SP1 installed that it appeared to be before.

I doubt that it is the cause in this instance, but just as a test you could try temporarily turning all sliders to a minimum setting. Other helpful hints have included pausing the sim and waiting a minute or two for it to "settle" before doing anything in the menus. If any such thing helps, then it sounds like you are hitting some memory constraints of some kind.

Just as a matter of interest, is your Windowed resolution (I assume you tried it maximised?) the same as your selected full screen resolution?

The decision to go with Vista was not taken lightly and these problems were anticipated with the hope that eventually the problems would be addressed with updates and fixes. Saitek have just issued a beta fix for their X52Pro software for example. Time will tell.

Please keep me posted. If I discover or hear of anything else I'll let you know.

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...
I also am able to go to windowed mode and it works.

I think that pretty much proves it is a driver problem. Stick to maximised Windowed mode until new drivers are available. If you run the screen at a high resolution, the title bar isn't really a problem in any case.

Regards

Pete