The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Message Window

I use this message window for Radar Contact in FSX. It would seem that, in order for the keystrokes to be recognized, the main monitor needs to have focus. I undock all my panels to various monitors and, of course, action on one panel removes the focus from the main. Is this a function of FSX - it did not do this in FS9. If so, is there any way round it.

Previously I've always used AdvDisp and very much regret its passing. Is there absolutely no way it could be made to work in FSX?

Bern

I use this message window for Radar Contact in FSX. It would seem that, in order for the keystrokes to be recognized ...

The FSUIPC display window is just that, a display window. It does not receive keystrokes at all.

... the main monitor needs to have focus. I undock all my panels to various monitors and, of course, action on one panel removes the focus from the main.

No, that is not true if all the Windows and panels are part of FS. It is the PROCESS which receives the keystrokes -- in this case FS. Radar Contact uses a facility in FSUIPC to capture keys as they arrive to FS. If FS loses the keyboard focus, it also loses the sound. Are you losing FS sound too? If not, then you don't lose keystrokes either.

Is this a function of FSX - it did not do this in FS9.

There's no difference in this between FS9 and FSX. You have something else going on there.

Previously I've always used AdvDisp and very much regret its passing. Is there absolutely no way it could be made to work in FSX?

Not when it was always so problematic in FS9 and before and almost impossible to implement properly for FSX in full screen modes. And not when the built-in FS window facility now used is so good. Why would you prefer AdvDisp?

If you want a separate program altogether for the display you can use ShowText. That's what is used on a Networked PC (it is freeware included in the WideFS ZIP).

Regards

Pete

Thankyou Pete

I know that it is the process which receives the keystrokes - pardon my clumsy way of trying to explain my problem.

I remove all panels from the main monitor leaving it to display view only. I'd thought this might be the basis of the problem. As for RC, when the main mon does not have focus, I do not lose sound, but I do lose the keystrokes. This, in fact, is not the only symptom. For eg some of my GoFlight modules lose communication in the same circumstances; I cant pause or unpause the sim either without main mon focus.

I did not have these probs in FS9 and was set up in exactly the same way.

Incidentally I much prefer AdvDisp with its variety of options of colour, of font and the ability to size and dock it on any panel so that it almost became part of that panel.

Bud

I remove all panels from the main monitor leaving it to display view only. I'd thought this might be the basis of the problem.

No, it shouldn't be. Actually i only have the scenery view on the main PC. RC runs on the Network, but it still gets its key strokes through FS.

As for RC, when the main mon does not have focus, I do not lose sound, but I do lose the keystrokes. This, in fact, is not the only symptom. For eg some of my GoFlight modules lose communication in the same circumstances; I cant pause or unpause the sim either without main mon focus.

Hmm. Strange. It sounds like the undocked Windows aren't actually owned by FS. If that is the case you'd certainly not want to click on any of them. Why are you losing focus from the main Window in any case?

Incidentally I much prefer AdvDisp with its variety of options of colour, of font and the ability to size and dock it on any panel so that it almost became part of that panel.

Well, ShowText has font and colour options, but making things part of a panel is where the problem lies. It is very difficult to get it working correctly with both Windowed and full screen modes, and the variety of special panels appearing. It really was too much of a pain to maintain.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete

I really dont know why focus is lost - that's the crux. For eg, if I click on a switch on the overhead, that panel assumes focus and the main 'view' monitor loses it. I need to click on the main to re-shift the focus there in order that 'communication' can be reestablished.

It's a shame about AdvDisp - this was a real work of art.

Bub

I really dont know why focus is lost - that's the crux. For eg, if I click on a switch on the overhead

So FSX won't accept any keyboard commands then?

Why would you click on the overhead in that case? You'd need to use the FS controls instead, via keyboard or button assignment.

Regards

Pete

Actually I mostly do use buttons/switches, but for the LevelD 767 I do use the mouse from time to time, that's where the problem starts. It just seems strange that focus is lost in this way.

Bud

Actually I mostly do use buttons/switches, but for the LevelD 767 I do use the mouse from time to time, that's where the problem starts. It just seems strange that focus is lost in this way.

I agree. Can you report it as a bug to tell_fs@microsoft.com, please? I wouldn't have thought that it was supposed to be that way. I'll mention it to my contacts too, but a real user bug report is always good.

Pete