The simFlight Network Forums

Hello Pete,

I have a PFC Cirrus II console with the Beech yoke that I use with FS-X/SP1, FSUIPC4.12, and PFCFSX4.20. My wish is that I could assign the left yoke button (presently hard coded to the 'autopilot disconnect" function) to the ATC popup menu. It was possible to do this with FS-9 but not with FS-X. Any pointers on how I can do this are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Glen

My wish is that I could assign the left yoke button (presently hard coded to the 'autopilot disconnect" function) to the ATC popup menu. It was possible to do this with FS-9 but not with FS-X. Any pointers on how I can do this are appreciated.

There's no change in how the PFC DLL treats those buttons. That part of the code is absolutely identical. On my Jetliner Yoke the A/P Disconnect is actually indistinguishable from the autopilot button on the radio stack. You can re-program it, but only in FSUIPC. I use the rear button for ATC instead.

The same set of parameters you used on FS9 (INI files) should work on FSX.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Peter,

I cut and pasted the following from my FSUIPC.INI (FS-9) into my FSUIPC4.INI :

[bUTTONS]

1=P28,0,K192,8

2=U28,0,K192,8

and I now get the ATC menu popup when the Beech yoke left button is pressed and it disappears when the button is released, as desired. Wish granted! Thanks.

However, in my original post I should have been more thorough and explained that, with FSUIPC4, none of the Cirrus II buttons/switches on the yoke or console are recognized in the "buttons-switches" tab where one can assign key presses or FS controls to a button or switch. Any thoughts on this? I must have an option disabled somewhere but cannot find out where.

Thanks again,

Glen

... I should have been more thorough and explained that, with FSUIPC4, none of the Cirrus II buttons/switches on the yoke or console are recognized in the "buttons-switches" tab where one can assign key presses or FS controls to a button or switch.

Please clarify: you aren't talking about programming these in the PFC options? Just in FSUIPC's buttons tab?

Please tell me version numbers of both PFCFSX.DLL and FSUIPC4.DLL? I cannot reproduce it here with any recent versions. FSUIPC4 sees all the PFC buttons and switches it should do. Perhaps I need to see your FSUIPC4.INI and PFCFSX.INI files too, but I am not aware of any parameters you can set to prevent FSUIPC4 seeing them.

The Axis Assignment tab in FSUIPC4 should also see all the Cirrus axes, the yoke, pedals and all the quadrant axes. But this may have been a more recent addition.

Regards

Pete

Please clarify: you aren't talking about programming these in the PFC options? Just in FSUIPC's buttons tab?

I am attempting to program the buttons in FSUIPC's buttons tab.

Please tell me version numbers of both PFCFSX.DLL and FSUIPC4.DLL? I cannot reproduce it here with any recent versions. FSUIPC4 sees all the PFC buttons and switches it should do. Perhaps I need to see your FSUIPC4.INI and PFCFSX.INI files too, but I am not aware of any parameters you can set to prevent FSUIPC4 seeing them

The PFC dll is PFCFSX.dll file version 4.20 dated 5March2007,

FSUIPC is FSUIPC4.dll file version 4.12 dated 14June2007,

and from the FSUIPC.log file, I have FSX version 10.0.61355.0 (simconnect: 10.0.61242.0)

If it would be helpful, I can zip up the two .ini files along with any .log files that you need and e-mail them to you.

Thanks for the help,

Glen

PS

I should add that I have 5 GoFlight modules installed and am using CH Products Pro Pedals USB rather than the PFC rudder pedals.

Glen

The PFC dll is PFCFSX.dll file version 4.20 dated 5March2007,

FSUIPC is FSUIPC4.dll file version 4.12 dated 14June2007,

and from the FSUIPC.log file, I have FSX version 10.0.61355.0 (simconnect: 10.0.61242.0)

Well, with exactly that combination it all works exactly as it should here, so that is very odd.

Since your INI file parameters copied from FS9, work, it is evident that FSUIPC4 is seeing the PFC buttons, so it is puzzling why thry are not seen in the Options screen.

If it would be helpful, I can zip up the two .ini files along with any .log files that you need and e-mail them to you.

Yes please. The FSUIPC4.LOG and both FSUIPC4 and PFCFSX.INI files, to petedowson@btconnect.com. In return I'll send you my very latest test versions just in case. I won't have time to investigate further now till Thursday.

I should add that I have 5 GoFlight modules installed and am using CH Products Pro Pedals USB rather than the PFC rudder pedals.

Do you get GoFlight buttons showing in FSUIPC4? (If not, is the GFDev.dll installed? You could try the version from the Downloads announcements above).

Regards

Pete

... with FSUIPC4, none of the Cirrus II buttons/switches on the yoke or console are recognized in the "buttons-switches" tab where one can assign key presses or FS controls to a button or switch. Any thoughts on this? I must have an option disabled somewhere but cannot find out where.

I can't find any option set which could do that (there are none in any case), but the Log file you supplied is odd here:

159265 *** Entered Buttons option page ***

159281 FirstButtonChange res=00000120 (0.1, 32)

226531 *** Exiting Buttons option page ***

The 0.1, 32 bit refers to a "button" on a normal (non-PFC) joystick. Looks like this would be showing up on the Buttons page as the current button 'pressed'. Now button numbers 32-39 are reserved for POV "hat" positions -- 32 would be the hat position at due north. or 12 O'Clock.

If this was showing and nothing else, then it most likely is stuck, repeating, so it always looks like the current button pressed. Could this be so? Something seems wrong.

Could you try removing this other joystick altogether (unplugging it), to see if FSUIPC then correctly sees the PFC buttons? I really cannot see any other possibility. The fact that the PFC buttons are recognised in normal mode, just not in the Button Options, does really imply that they simply never get a look in.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Once again I should have been more thorough in describing my system as there is no other joystick attached to my system. In particular, none with a hat switch. The only HIDs attached are: ps2 keyboard, ps2 mouse, Cirrus II console, CH Products USB rudder pedals, and 5 GoFlight modules (P8, RP48, GF46, and GF166 x2). However, at one time I had a CH Products yoke (3 lever variety) attached and the driver is still installed to run the rudder pedals. Perhaps this driver is the source of the phantom stuck hat switch signal??? Seems unlikely in view of the fact that all of the Cirrus II buttons/switches are seen by FSUIPC3's button assignment tab in FS-9 but still it is a possibility. Also, for what it is worth, in the settings/controls screen for both FS-9 and FS-X the only joystick seen is the CH pedals.

Tomorrow I will start disconnecting devices and will uninstall the CH Products driver in an attempt to isolate the source. Will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks,

Glen

Tomorrow I will start disconnecting devices and will uninstall the CH Products driver in an attempt to isolate the source. Will keep you posted on the results.

Okay. Thank you.

As you say, it is odd that FSUIPC3 shows things okay and FSUIPC4 doesn't. This is especially the case because the Buttons and Switches part of the program is identical between the two -- in fact it is one of the few areas which are so!

Can you describe what you actually do see reported on the Buttons page in FSUIPC4? From the log it does look as if it should be showing a joystick with button #32, rather than the blank awaiting a press or a toggle.

Regards

Pete

Can you describe what you actually do see reported on the Buttons page in FSUIPC4? From the log it does look as if it should be showing a joystick with button #32, rather than the blank awaiting a press or a toggle.

Yes, I see a blank. Then as soon as I press a button on a GoFlight module the JOY# and BUTTON# windows are filled in. When pressing buttons on the Cirrus II console, these windows remain blank. It is very odd.

Will start uninstalling and disconnecting things this morning and will let you know the results later today.

Glen

Yes, I see a blank. Then as soon as I press a button on a GoFlight module the JOY# and BUTTON# windows are filled in. When pressing buttons on the Cirrus II console, these windows remain blank. It is very odd.

Ahthe log oddly shows that button #32 though. If the display is blank it should certainly accept anything from anywhere, including the PFC driver which it actually shares the data with.

At present I am at a loss to understand it. I can't even see where I can get more information at present. I will think about it further. I may send some test version(s) to you email if I think of anything.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

I received the new .dll's and installed them. Have just now sent you an e-mail with several log files and a description of things that I have done on my end. To summarize, the phantom hat switch sigmal is still present in the logs and the Cirrus II switches are not recognized by the "buttons-switches' tab in FSUIPC4.

Thanks for sending the test .dll's,

Glen

I received the new .dll's and installed them. Have just now sent you an e-mail with several log files and a description of things that I have done on my end. To summarize, the phantom hat switch sigmal is still present in the logs and the Cirrus II switches are not recognized by the "buttons-switches' tab in FSUIPC4.

Thanks. I replied there as well, but for completeness here let me repeat this part:

I really need to know why as it shouldn't happen. I don't like things being wrong like that. I shall work out a way of getting more information, and get back to you when I have something else to try (just to get info at first -- fixes come later).

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

An additional bit of information, I had the bright idea to see if the phantom hat switch signal existed in FS-9 and sure enough it does but FSUIPC3 continues to recognize the Cirrus II switches in its 'Buttons-Switches' assignment tab. The only possible source had to be the CH Products rudder pedals so I unplugged the usb connector and the signal went away. By this I mean in the FSUIPC.log file. So, with the rudder pedals disconnected, I started FS-X and tried to assign some Cirrus II switches. No joy, however the phantom hat switch signal is not present in the FSUIPC4.log file now.

Will have to stop calling it a phantom signal now that the source is identified. Just wish that I could see this hat switch then perhaps I could actuate it with my toe since PFC chose not to install one on the Cirrus II console. :) Just kidding.

Cheers,

Glen

Hi Glen,

Checking through the code in both FSUIPC4 and PFCFSX, the difference between PFC button actions whilst in normal flight and how they are treated in the FSUIPC options screen is that in the former case they are fed to FSUIPC explicitly by PFCFSX, but in the latter case FSUIPC4 calls a routine in PFCFSX to get the current "pressings".

In this latter case, PFCFSX has to supply the pointer to this routine. If it doesn't, then we'll get the symptoms you describe.

Before I work on that basis, this can be checked fairly easily. Please load up FSX, go to the FSUIPC options screen and select the Hot Keys tab. Is there a Hot Key option for "Restart PFC Driver"? If not, that's this routine omitted -- so I'd need to add more logging to the PFC module, not to FSUIPC4.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Please load up FSX, go to the FSUIPC options screen and select the Hot Keys tab. Is there a Hot Key option for "Restart PFC Driver"?

No, there is no such option on the Hot Keys tab. I just now sent you an e-mail with additional info pertaining to the options that are on this tab. This may help you identify the version of the subroutine that I have.

Regards,

Glen

No, there is no such option on the Hot Keys tab. I just now sent you an e-mail with additional info pertaining to the options that are on this tab. This may help you identify the version of the subroutine that I have.

I've found the problem. It'll be fixed in the next interim update. Meanwhile you will find it works okay if you re-enable the Connection Checks (an option on the main tab) and re-boot. The codes which sets up the links appears to get bypassed if you elect to bypass the connection checks.

Watch for a new version in the FSX downloads announcement within the next few days, maybe a week at most.

Thanks,

Pete

That is fantastic Pete, did as you suggested with PFCFSX running connection checks on startup and all Cirrus II switches and buttons are now assignable in FSUIPC4's assignment tab.

Thanks for identifying the cause of this issue and I will be watching for the updated download file.

Best Regards,

Glen McMillen