The simFlight Network Forums

Anywhere Map on Tablet (clienet PC)

Well, I have a few problems which are probably my fault but I can't solve them. What I am trying to do is use FSX with latest purchased FSUIPC/GPS Out and Wide FS to export GPS data such that I can use my Laptop running Anywhere XP moving map software. I tried to do this over a wireless network.

So far I seem to have made a successful WideFS connection from Laptop to Main PC. I have used the port emailtaor freeware to assign ports 50 and 51 as the "fake" com ports. When I tell Anywhere map to use Port 50 or 51 as the Com port for the GPS it makes no connection.

Possible areas where I am doing somethiong wrong are:

Do I use GPS out if I am using Wide FS?

What protocols should I use for the GPS data?

I tell wide client to use Com port 50 do I need to edit Mix W's ini at all?

I suspect I am almost there but who knows.... please can you help?

Do I use GPS out if I am using Wide FS?

Yes-- enable GPSout in FSUIPC4, and select WideFS there. As described in the documentation.

What protocols should I use for the GPS data?

Sorry, I've no idea what your "Anywhere" program accepts. Try all of the standard NMEA ones first, then remove them one by one.

I tell wide client to use Com port 50 do I need to edit Mix W's ini at all?

No, but you need to set the speed in WideClient.INI too.

I suspect I am almost there but who knows.... please can you help?

Try using the handy PortMon program, free from http://www.sysinternals.com, to see what the ports are doing. It logs the initialisations and the data transactions.

Regards

Pete

I imagine there are a bunch of us that would love to get this working from the Anywhere map world. I will try your suggestions, but you see no reason why nthis arrangement would not be possible? Is there an easier way to do it, i.w with a cable?? My tablet is a Fujitsu p1610 and has no serial ports just USB. Thankyou for your superb support, absolutely wonderful!

I imagine there are a bunch of us that would love to get this working from the Anywhere map world. I will try your suggestions, but you see no reason why nthis arrangement would not be possible?

No, if it accepts NMEA data on a serial port then it shouldn't be able to distinguish what it gets from FSUIPC/GPSout from a real GPS. But unless you send it the right data at the right speed then it likely won't do anything at all. PortMon will show whether you have FSUIPC/GPSout/WideFS set up correctly. Then it's between that and your mapping program, which I cannot help you with.

Is there an easier way to do it, i.w with a cable?? My tablet is a Fujitsu p1610 and has no serial ports just USB. Thankyou for your superb support, absolutely wonderful!

GPSout was originally written for use with a simple 3 wire serial cable, of course. It was only the discovery of virtual serial port programs like MixW which allowed the Networking method to be used. If there's no other reason for your Network connection then a plain serial port to serial port connection would be simpler -- but you'd need a USB serial port adapter for your laptop, obviously. And if you don't want to make up your own 3-wire cable then you'd need what's called a "null modem" cable too.

Pete