The simFlight Network Forums

Which WideFS Modules Do I need

Hi, I am a little confused as to which modules I need for FSX.

I realise that FSUIPC 4 includes WideFS 7, but it states in the blurb that Wideserver needs a client only available in the FSUIPC 6.75 version.

So what is the difference between Wideserver and WideFS ?

could you perhaps direct me to a manual that I can download that explains all the various modules along with which ones are needed for various functions.

Primarily I am considering a network for FSX - but do not know where to start.

Thanks

I realise that FSUIPC 4 includes WideFS 7

WideServer 7, to be exact

but it states in the blurb that Wideserver needs a client only

available in the FSUIPC 6.75 version.

No it doesn't. WideFS works with the WideClient provided in the WideFS 6.75 package -- or in fact any WideClient from any recent release.

So what is the difference between Wideserver and WideFS ?

WideServer is HALF of WideFS. For a Server there is a Client. The Server runs in FS, the Client runs in the other PCs.

Changing the version of FS running in the Server PC doesn't affect the Clients at all, so the same WideClient is used for all versions of FS -- from FS95 through FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX. Even CFS1 and CFS2 would use the same WideClient.

All that happened in FSX was that WideServer, which used to be a separate module in FS, was absorbed into FSUIPC4.

could you perhaps direct me to a manual that I can download that explains all the various modules along with which ones are needed for various functions.

WideFS documentation is included in the WideFS.zip package, which you should have downloaded (as explained in the "blurb" you misqoted. ;-) )

You need ALL of the WideFS package with the sole exception of the little bit called WideServer.DLL which is only needed in versions of FS before FSX.

Primarily I am considering a network for FSX - but do not know where to start.

FSX's own SimConnect provides Network support, without WideFS. WideFS provides network extension for FSUIPC client programs. If that's what you are interested in then the obvious place to start is to download WideFS and read the documentation.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for replying.

I'll download the WideFS software and llok at the documentation and try to get to grips with clients and servers, wideclient, FSwide and FSUIPC.

I'll get back to you around Xmas time.... :?

Thanks

PS on your website the following is presented in a table:

....FSX

FSUIPC4 4.12

NEW Full release of FSUIPC 4 (incorporating WideFS 7) for use with FSX June 15th 2007 (3 MB)

WideServer7 is built into FSUIPC4, you will need the WideClient from the WideFS link below.

WideFS 6.75 NEW The WideClient.exe included in this zip is to be used with the WideServer7 module which is included with FSUIPC4 from now on.

You have to admit that is a little confusing - at least to a noob.

PS on your website the following is presented in a table:

I have no website. Presumably you mean Mr. Schiratti's? He's the only one kind enough to host all my programs, freeware as well.

WideServer7 is built into FSUIPC4, you will need the WideClient from the WideFS link below.

WideFS 6.75 NEW The WideClient.exe included in this zip is to be used with the WideServer7 module which is included with FSUIPC4 from now on.

Yes, exactly, and nothing like what you quoted. It does EXPLICITLY state you need the WideClient program from the WideFS package.

You have to admit that is a little confusing - at least to a noob.

No. Why? Please explain. Obviously misquoting it to BE confusing will confuse, but reading it correctlysurely not?

Quite honestly, if you are confused already, please think again before embarking on multiple PC setups for FS. As a "noob" it may be best to stick to one PC for a while, don't you think?

Regards

Pete

Well there's no need to patronise me really is there ?

I'm a 'noob' to networking flightsims - in fact the only reason I considered it was because of the performance problems with FSX. But anyway,isn't everyone a noob when they start to consider it ? And to be honest, shouldn't you be encouraging noobs to setup networks ? if no-one considered it - or actually tried it, we'd all remain noobs wouldn't we !

If you agree that we should be encouraged to try something new and potentially useful, then perhaps you should consider making all the documentation a little simpler to understand - I am certainly no slouch when it comes to anything relating to iT, but I need to be at least pointed to the right ball-park !

It's taken anhour reading your documentation just to understand exactly what it all does and does not do. But I am still trying to work out, for example, whether I will need a registered copy of both WideFS AND FSUIPC !

Basically, I'm reading between the lines and guessing the answers to most of my queries.

Networking is not an easy area for anyone, and making it all work with an already complex app. like FSX, makes it even more confusing.

Perhaps you should empathise a little, with newcommers and stop patronising them... and be a little less stroppy with people in general.

I have scoured these forums looking for simple answers to questions like - "is it worth running a network anyway ?" and I've still not found a useful answer, and you appear to resent the fact that people may not understand your software.

I am sure you didn't suddenly wake up one morning and knew all the answers - however talented you undoubtedly are now !

If you want people to pay 40 euros for your work, maybe you should be a little more accommodating.

Regards

Well there's no need to patronise me really is there ?

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come over quite like that. But it did seem odd having apparently clear instructions so badly misquoted to me, to make such a simple situation look complicated.

perhaps you should consider making all the documentation a little simpler to understand

I do try hard, and WideFS has stood the test of time (being my oldest FS package by far, dating back to FS95). I do tend to find it best to make the programs simpler to use so that most of the documentation is not relevant most of the time. With WideFS 99% of users can simply put WideClient.EXE on their client PCs, run it, enable WideServer on the FS PC, and it all just works. That's the idea. The fact that you need to actually DOWNLOAD the WideFS package in the first place shouldn't really be a surprise, surely? I you want to use a package, you download it. It is that simple!

I need to be at least pointed to the right ball-park !

You were, on that web page. It told you to get WideFS 6.75, which you took to mean, apparently "FSUIPC 6.75" (which doesn't exist). If you had downloaded the package you would have found documentation.

It's taken anhour reading your documentation just to understand exactly what it all does and does not do.

Well done. That's more than 99% of folks do. And 90% of the documentation is for reference. You only need to refer to those parts if you want to use the frills. It works out of the box without twiddling unless you have an unusual set up.

But I am still trying to work out, for example, whether I will need a registered copy of both WideFS AND FSUIPC !

Really? Where does that sort of confusion arise? The documentation for WideFS would tell you if you need an FSUIPC registration. Why would you expect it to say “You don’t need an FSUIPC registration”? There are lots of things you don't need. Surely it should only tell you what you do need?

... and be a little less stroppy with people in general.

Thanks. That doesn't help a lot does it? Maybe we should finish here.

Regards

Pete

Ok Pete,

Thanks for that.

I do respect the work you do - as I am sure the rest of the flight sim world do.

I'll persevere with the docs and carry on my research of the forum topics in this area.

And, I can understand you getting a little tired having to answer the same question over and over again - especially when many of the answers are in the documentation.

Friends ? :)

And, I can understand you getting a little tired having to answer the same question over and over again - especially when many of the answers are in the documentation.

Yes, but of course the documentation isn't perfect, and I can answer specific questions here. That's what the Forum is for. And the documentation has been gradually improved by including answers from here into it as time goes by. In fact I think it even says that somewhere.

Friends ? :)

Of course.

Regards,

Pete