The simFlight Network Forums

widefs

I am talking about realllly widefs... Basically, want to run wideFS remotely over the internet with like VAS-FMC, FreeFD to my home machine running FSX (which is doing a loong haul flight). Can WideFS be setup to update from FSX every 5 minutes or something greater? I think I would change

server: autoupdate=300000

client side:

pollinterval=3000000

responsetime=300000

Now what can I do when I finally get back home to land the plane? how can I get widefs to set timeouts to normal?

Can WideFS be setup to update from FSX every 5 minutes or something greater?

Well, it isn't designed to do so. You can experiment if you like, but it may fall foul of internal timeouts. I really don't know.

I think I would change

server: autoupdate=300000

client side:

pollinterval=3000000

responsetime=300000

The client has to send "I'm here" messages a lot more often than 300 seconds in order to stop the Server assuming that it has disconnected and closing the link. The timeout is of the order of 30 seconds or so, so I don't think you want to set "pollinterval" less than 20000.

The responsetime parameter is in seconds, not milliseconds, so this one should be 300. However, if the Server isn't sending out stuff more often than that the timeout may expire. Generally you need to allow a lot more -- say 450.

Now what can I do when I finally get back home to land the plane? how can I get widefs to set timeouts to normal?

Are you landing the plane from a WideFS client? Or do you mean you have another client at home with the FMC?

You can't change these parameters dynamically. With FSX you can disable WideServer, alter the INI file, then re-enable it, all without closing FSX, but you can't do that with FS9 or earlier.

Regards

Pete

Are you landing the plane from a WideFS client? Or do you mean you have another client at home with the FMC?

You can't change these parameters dynamically. With FSX you can disable WideServer, alter the INI file, then re-enable it, all without closing FSX, but you can't do that with FS9 or earlier.

Regards

Pete

I am hoping to reconnect the widefs client at home with lower intervals and then land.

I am hoping to reconnect the widefs client at home with lower intervals and then land.

The packets of data are probably going to quite small in any case. Why are you wanting to reduce updates to such an infrequent level in the first place? I can understand you not needing to match the FS frame rates (which is what WideFS tries to do), but a few seconds would be no hardship, surely. I really do think there will be connection problems if you try to make them too infrequent.

Regards

Pete

The packets of data are probably going to quite small in any case. Why are you wanting to reduce updates to such an infrequent level in the first place? I can understand you not needing to match the FS frame rates (which is what WideFS tries to do), but a few seconds would be no hardship, surely. I really do think there will be connection problems if you try to make them too infrequent.

Regards

Pete

well, I am at work and just want to keep up to date on the status of the flight.

well, I am at work and just want to keep up to date on the status of the flight.

Yes, I understood that. But I don't think you need to be quite so mean on the amount of data being sent! ;-)

You might like to look at "pmRemote" too -- see http://www.projectmagenta.com . It produces web pages containing info, acting as a little web server, so you could use Internet Explorer at work.

Regards

Pete