The simFlight Network Forums

Keystrokes and conflicts within FS9

First, some background:

I am using Flight Deck Solutions SYS3 interface card that uses InterfaceIT as the software to allowing assignments of switches/etc. to functions within FS. One way to do this is via FSUIPC interaction, which works well for some items, and another way is via sending Keystrokes (which seems to be the only way for me to use a momentary sw at this time), that can either be typed in on the keyboard itself, or you can make FS the active window, perform the key strokes, and it's recorded.

Issue:

The only function that I can get to work as it should is 'Z' for Autopilot On/Off. When I press the switch that is now assigned to 'Z', the switch correctly turns the AP on and off.

When I create another function and assign to a switch something like 'CTRL+ Z' or 'CTRL+R' the switch will refuse to accurately re-create the keypress, OR will work, but turn the sound off when pressed, or maybe turn on ALL the lights AND cause the sim rate to go to full sim rate (68x?). Strange too is that when I enter 'SHIFT+H' it doesnt turn on the Pitot Heat, but yet turns on Anti-Ice.

I am certain that somehow there is an obvious conflict going on. I am running FSUIPC registered, and also WideFS is running in the background. I only have 1 keyboard and also a CH yoke, with no special assignments tied to it. This is all in the default FS9 Learjet45.

Any clue what's going on here and a way to resolve it?

I am using Flight Deck Solutions SYS3 interface card that uses InterfaceIT as the software to allowing assignments of switches/etc. to functions within FS. One way to do this is via FSUIPC interaction, which works well for some items, and another way is via sending Keystrokes (which seems to be the only way for me to use a momentary sw at this time), that can either be typed in on the keyboard itself, or you can make FS the active window, perform the key strokes, and it's recorded.

I don't really understand all of that, I'm afraid. Are you saying that the driver software ("InterfaceIT"?) drive functions in FS either by keystroke or button pressing, if so where does FSUIPC come in? Or is this all about FSUIPC?

The only function that I can get to work as it should is 'Z' for Autopilot On/Off. When I press the switch that is now assigned to 'Z', the switch correctly turns the AP on and off.

I assume that "switch" is actually a button? If you are using what I call a switch (something with more than one position, on and off), it would make more sense to use the Autopilot On and Off controls instead.

When I create another function and assign to a switch something like 'CTRL+ Z' or 'CTRL+R' the switch will refuse to accurately re-create the keypress, OR will work, but turn the sound off when pressed, or maybe turn on ALL the lights AND cause the sim rate to go to full sim rate (68x?). Strange too is that when I enter 'SHIFT+H' it doesnt turn on the Pitot Heat, but yet turns on Anti-Ice.

Where are you assigning these keystrokes? You know that you can assign keystrokes in FS as well as FSUIPC, and presumably now in your "InterfaceIT" program? There's a lot of places for keys to be re-interpreted! Really, for all FS functions, I'd recommend using FS controls all the time -- more efficient and not liable to interception/change by assorted facilities and other programs. The main use of keystrokes is for third party add-ons which don't, of course, provide the equivalent of FS controls.

I am certain that somehow there is an obvious conflict going on. I am running FSUIPC registered, and also WideFS is running in the background. I only have 1 keyboard and also a CH yoke, with no special assignments tied to it. This is all in the default FS9 Learjet45.

If you aren't assigning keystrokes in FSUIPC then it isn't doing anything to conflict. But by all means use the Logging facilities provided in FSUIPC to not only log keys but also resulting controls -- see the options on the left-hand side of the Logging options tab.

Regards

Pete

Yes, InterfaceIT can use keypresses or FSUIPC offsets to transform a hardware function (button/switch/rotary/encoder) into a software reaction within FS9.

The keystrokes are being assigned within InterfaceIT's input section, not directly into FSUIPC. However, as you said, there are multiple places that a function can be assigned/re-interpreted. I have considered deleting the functions out of FS9 to be sure it's not conflicting. At this point, Im not quite sure what to do to resolve it, but I only know that when I put the key combination in on the keyboard itself, it works perfect. Thru the InterfaceIT software, it's causing other stuff to happen.

Yes, InterfaceIT can use keypresses or FSUIPC offsets to transform a hardware function (button/switch/rotary/encoder) into a software reaction within FS9.

But not FS controls, which would be an easier choice. Of course any of the FS controls can be sent by writing its number to offset 3110, so all is still possible.

The keystrokes are being assigned within InterfaceIT's input section, not directly into FSUIPC. However, as you said, there are multiple places that a function can be assigned/re-interpreted. I have considered deleting the functions out of FS9 to be sure it's not conflicting.

Well, deleting the keystroke assignment in FS will free that keystroke but won't help if your driver is trying to use that very one to invoke the function!

Really, for a much more efficient and reliable system I would advise programming all of your functions as FSUIPC offset writes. There's a list of FS controls available for every FS version since FS98, so you can re-program any keypress as an FS control write to 3110.

An alternative way, which might be more attractive as it is more versatile (more easily re-programmable, including use of FSUIPC's aircraft-specific and button programming facilities) -- is to program each of your switches/buttons as a "virtual button" (a bit on any of the offsets from 3340 to 3363). This is how I provide programming facilities in FSUIPC for any button/switch on PFC equipment -- the PFC driver simply toggles bits in a similar (but different and reserved) area. These then show up as regular buttons in the FSUIPC buttons tab.

At this point, Im not quite sure what to do to resolve it, but I only know that when I put the key combination in on the keyboard itself, it works perfect. Thru the InterfaceIT software, it's causing other stuff to happen.

Sounds like buggy software. Sorry, but if you want to go that way I think you need to deal with their support, and get their driver fixed.

Regards

Pete