The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 won't work with FSX

I have been trying to get FS Commander to work on a second PC, using WideFS 6.7.5.0 and FSUIPC4.152, but FSX fails to display the add-ons menu.

Both PC's use Windows XP, the FSX computer used Norton360 initially, and the FS Commander computer uses Trend PC-Cillin 2007.

Following the first failure I disabled the protection features of Norton360. This made no difference, so I then uninstalled Norton360, but this also had no effect. I then reinstalled FSX and FSUIPC4. This too made no difference.

I am logged on as an administrator on both machines.

On the FS Commander PC, WideFS starts with a window headed "Waiting for a connection" then loads FS Commander. I presume that the connection fails because FSUIPC4 is not working.

I have been trying to get FS Commander to work on a second PC, using WideFS 6.7.5.0 and FSUIPC4.152, but FSX fails to display the add-ons menu...I presume that the connection fails because FSUIPC4 is not working.

If the Add-Ons menu is not there then FSUIPC4 may not even be running -- WideServer is part of FSUIPC4 so that cannot run until and unless FSUIPC4 is running correctly! It sounds like a SimConnect problem.

For more information, so I can advise you correctly, please show me the Install Log and the FSUIPC4 log files from the FSX Modules folder.

Regards

Pete

Since posting my problem, I found that FSUIPC4 was working. Being fairly new to FSX, I was expecting the add-on menu to appear in the opening screen of FSX, and my flying had been done in full-screen mode, which does not show menus. Having passed this hurdle, and registering FSUIPC4 and WideFS, I still have the problem with WideFS on the client PC. When I start FlightSim Commander 8.1 and try to connect to FSX on the GPS menu, I get the message "Unable to connect to Flight Simulator Msg #11". The WideClient FS98 Eliminator window says "Waiting for a connection".

Being fairly new to FSX, I was expecting the add-on menu to appear in the opening screen of FSX, and my flying had been done in full-screen mode, which does not show menus.

AhI take it you are new to FS altogether? This was of course no different in any previous version of FS, except that the menu entry was "Modules" instead of "Add-ons".

Incidentally, 'hide menu' is an option both in full screen and windowed mode -- the mode makes no difference, that only affects whether there's a Title Bar or not. The other menu bar difference with FSX compared to previous versions is that you get rid of it, once shown, by holding the ALT key down for a couple of seconds.

I still have the problem with WideFS on the client PC. When I start FlightSim Commander 8.1 and try to connect to FSX on the GPS menu, I get the message "Unable to connect to Flight Simulator Msg #11". The WideClient FS98 Eliminator window says "Waiting for a connection".

I need to see the FSUIPC4.LOG and WideServer.LOG from the FSX Modules folder, and the WideClient.log from the folder in which you placed WideClient on the client PC.

If there's no connection at all it sounds like a firewall problem. Maybe that's all the Logs will show.

Regards

Pete

I thought that I included the files with my last post, but I have attached them with this one.

Sorry, but I see no attached files. If the files aren't too large you can simply paste their contents into your message. Otherwise, since you are having difficulties attaching things, ZIP them up and send them to me by Email attachment: petedowson@btconnect.com. Mention the thread in the accompanying message so I know what it is about.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

I have pasted the 3 files below.

Regards,

Don Riley

FSUIPC$.log

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.152 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Don Riley"

User Addr="donriley@lisp.com.au"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WideFS7 Key is provided

Running inside FSX (SimConnect SP1 May07)

Module base=069F0000

DebugStatus=255

141 System time = 20:06:48

157 FLT UNC path = "\\ASUS\Data (D)\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

157 FS UNC path = "\\ASUS\Program Files\"

1828 LogOptions=00000001

1828 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

6688 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61355.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61242.0)

6688 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

6688 FSUIPC Menu entry added

6907 F:\Program Files\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

6907 F:\Program Files\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

65953 System time = 20:07:54, FSX time = 20:06:56 (03:06Z)

66157 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"

66813 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

447297 System time = 20:14:16, FSX time = 20:08:53 (03:08Z)

447297 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 178 Allocs, 178 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

WideClient.log

********* WideClient Log [version 6.75] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 20/08/07, Time 20:28:57.265: Client name is TOSHIBA-BDC772C

296 C:\Program Files\Aerosoft\FSC

296 C:\Program Files\Aerosoft\FSC\FSC.exe

328 Attempting to connect now

1328 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1328 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3328 Attempting to connect now

67546 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

70953 New Client Application: "FSC" (Id=2876)

193921 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

245125 ****** End of session performance summary ******

245125 Total time connected = 0 seconds

245125 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

245125 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

245125 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

245125 **************** Individual client application activity ****************

245125 Client 2876 requests: 5 (Ave 5/sec), Data: 270 bytes (270/sec), Average 54 bytes/Process

245125 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 5 Freed 5 Refused 0) *********

WideServer.log

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.152] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 20/08/07, Time 20:07:54.468: Server name is ASUS

15188 Initialising TCP/IP server

15188 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15204 ServerNode=0.0.4352.57135.22456

15204 Initialising UDP/IP server

16063 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

379657 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 178 alloc, 177 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

I have pasted the 3 files below.

Okay. The answer appears to be that the Client is not receiving the Broadcasts from the Server, so it doesn't know how to contact it:

1328 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1328 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

The Server is actually doing the Broadcast:

16063 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

so the problem is in the Client PC. You said "Both PC's use Windows XP" originally, so this is ununsual -- older versions of Windows didn't support the broadcasting method. Possibly it is an out of data XP version? Or, possibly more likely, you don't have both PCs in the same Workgroup? You can check and change Workgroup names by right-clicking on "My Computer", selecting Properties then Computer Name.

Alternatively, simply tell WideClient the name of the Server and the Protocol you want to use. Please refer to the WideFS User Guide (part of the documentation which came with WideFS, which you really should have looked at by now). It is all explained in the section entitled Configure your Network. It does even say "... if you find the connection is not happening, ...". Did you not read this?

Regards

Pete

The workgroup names were different. I must admit that I hate networks. The computers were connecting before, for file sharing, so I assumed that part of it was OK.

Networking will work across different workgroups, but the Broadcasting facility, which WideServer uses to let any clients know it is available, only operates within the same workgroup. So the easy automatic connection I programmed for WideFS needs everyone to be in the same workgroup.

The alternative, as I mentioned, is to tell WideClient where the Server is, and what protocol it must use. This has to be used in any case on older versions of Windows, and it always had to be done in older versions of WideFS, before I found out about broadcasting.

Glad you got it working now anyway.

Regards

Pete