The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Generating Internet Activity

Hi, please could you advise as to why FSUIPC appears to open up a TCP port and generate internet traffic when I start a flight in Flight Simulator X. This only happens when FSUIPC is installed and I am having problems with FSX returning to the desktop I beleive because of the internet activity.

Is there any way to stop FSUIPC from generating this traffic other than removing it from the modules folder?

Thanks

Hi, please could you advise as to why FSUIPC appears to open up a TCP port and generate internet traffic when I start a flight in Flight Simulator X.

It doesn't. The only part of FSUIPC4 which has any Network code in it is the WideServer part, which you have to Register and activate specifically.

This only happens when FSUIPC is installed and I am having problems with FSX returning to the desktop I beleive because of the internet activity.

Simcnnect uses TCP/IP to talk to FSX. FSUIPC4 is a 100% Simconnect user, as a Client. Maybe you have a SimConnect.XML file which is telling SimConnect to open ports on the Internet? I don't know how you'd manage to do that, but it is absolutely nothing to do with FSUIPC.

Is there any way to stop FSUIPC from generating this traffic other than removing it from the modules folder?

As it doesn't generate any in the first place this is not a valid question. Sorry. Maybe you have some add-on which uses FSUIPC and which does this? It probably doesn't start if FSUIPC isn't present. Check everything you've installed.

Regards

Pete

Thought I'd sorted the problem but I guess not.

Try a process of elimination on things you have installed. but first check for a SimConnect.xml file -- if you are not using any Networked SimConnect applications you don't need one. Look in the same folder as the FSX.CFG file, i.e. (on WinXP) Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.

Don't forget, also, that FSX itself will be going onto the Internet to get weather, unless you have that option turned off by default.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete - I have 2 instances of SimConnect.XML the only one that could potentially be the one involved with the issue is in the FSX SDK (the other is for an add-on that I've installed prior to experiencing the problem) however I've renamed both files and the problem still occurs. Do you know of any issues with the SDK?

I understand from what you say that FSUIPC is not the problem, but it's presence is facilitating this TCP traffic somehow. I've tested repeatedly and the only time FSX generates this level of constant internet activity is when the FSUIPC files are is in the modules section, strangely the TCP port in use seems to be different every time ?!?

I have only just unistalled FSX Standard and all my add-ons and replaced it with a FSX Deluxe, it could be that the uninstall left some anamolies in which case the only way forward is Format c:\. :cry:

BTW I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you've put into FSUIPC over the years, it's easy to take this for granted, but simming would certainly be poorer if it wern't for your efforts, thanks.

Thanks Pete - I have 2 instances of SimConnect.XML the only one that could potentially be the one involved with the issue is in the FSX SDK (the other is for an add-on that I've installed prior to experiencing the problem) however I've renamed both files and the problem still occurs. Do you know of any issues with the SDK?

No, not that would invoke anything on a Network, let alone the Internet.

I understand from what you say that FSUIPC is not the problem, but it's presence is facilitating this TCP traffic somehow. I've tested repeatedly and the only time FSX generates this level of constant internet activity is when the FSUIPC files are is in the modules section, strangely the TCP port in use seems to be different every time ?!?

Now, hang on. As I said earlier, SimConnect uses TCP/IP to talk to FSX. It does select a different random port every time you run FSX. But it is local TCP/IP traffic, on IP Address 127.0.0.1, which is the local PC. That is not Internet traffic -- it goes nowhere else at all but between SimConnect and FSX!

FSUIPC4, like all other FSX add-ons using SimConnect, will cause a lot of activity on the specific TCP/IP ports SimConnect uses to talk to FSX. This is quite normal, it is not a significant overhead on performance (it is almost immeasurable, and will be improved even further in the forthcoming SP2 update for FSX).

Is this all that concerns you? Did you not see that I said SimConnect uses TCP/IP, long ago?

Regards

Pete

So the reason my Firewall (ZoneAlarm) shows constant activity when FSUIPC is installed is beacuse FSX is using simconnect to communicate with FSUIPC via TCP. This TCP traffic is then being flagged by the Firewall because the firewall is monitoring local as well as internet traffic :idea:

That still leaves me with the problem of being returned to the desktop after starting about 5 minutes of flight, FSX is still running (minimised) and I can re-join the flight via the task-bar. This only happens once per session and then I don't have any problems until the next time I start up FSX, again this just seems to happen with simconnect / FSUIPC active.

So the reason my Firewall (ZoneAlarm) shows constant activity when FSUIPC is installed is beacuse FSX is using simconnect to communicate with FSUIPC via TCP. This TCP traffic is then being flagged by the Firewall because the firewall is monitoring local as well as internet traffic

Yes. This is why the official Microsoft website gives instructions to disable local Firewall and Antivirus checking, though I think that is only needed for certain such programs. Even so, the very action of these programs on such traffic does slow things down somewhat.

Incidentally, I think this will be a lot better in the SP2 release.

That still leaves me with the problem of being returned to the desktop after starting about 5 minutes of flight, FSX is still running (minimised) and I can re-join the flight via the task-bar.

Sorry, I don't understand. When you say "returned to the desktop" do you mean FSX is crashing? What is "rejoining the flight via the task bar"?

If you are using full screen mode and FS is minimising all on its own -- usually when changing views -- this was an FSX problem before SP1 but I've not heard of it happening since. Have you installed the SP1 update? Does it happen in Windowed mode too?

It may well be a function of your video driver -- see if there's a later version.

this just seems to happen with simconnect / FSUIPC active.

Well this will obviously be placing a little extra loading on the system, more perhaps depending also on your firewall settings. Does the FSUIPC4.LOG file show anything (you'll find that in the FSX Modules folder).

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yes I do mean that FS minimises on it's own whilst in full screen mode and yes this is with SP1 installed. If it would help you diagnose any potential problem I will try FSX in windowed mode but I never usually run FSX that way. I have an Ati X1900XT-X card and updating to the latest drivers has made no difference, there is nothing oviously untoward in the FSUIPC log file.

If SP2 makes simconnect a little less intrusive this may help the problem. It does seem like there is a one-off burst of activity which in conjunction with my firewall monitoring all local traffic makes FSX loose focus from the desktop.

If SP2 makes simconnect a little less intrusive this may help the problem. It does seem like there is a one-off burst of activity which in conjunction with my firewall monitoring all local traffic makes FSX loose focus from the desktop.

There should never be any way it would lose focus just because of TCP/IP traffic. I think you are mis-diagnosing it -- and if so, having Simconnect use TCP/IP less won't help.

If it is indeed a SimConnect problem then you need to do two things:

1. Get that SimConnect log as I suggested. If you ZIP it up and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com I can see what is going on.

2. Report this, with all such evidence, to the FS team via tell_fs@microsoft.com.

You might be right about it being related to your firewall or A/V program. What are you using b the way? There were known problems wuth several such programs. I know for instance Kaspersky gave a lot of problems till they brought out an update.

Regards

Pete