The simFlight Network Forums

MS Sidewinder Strategic Commander

Pete, I've got one of the handiest devices I ever purchased with the legacy MS Sidewinder "Strategic Commander". I'd like to make that a "joystick" seen by FSUIPC. Have any suggestions on how I'd do that? I'll be messing with it, and if I come up with an answer myself, I'll post it, but I figure you've probably run across this before. Thanks! Hawg.

Pete, I've got one of the handiest devices I ever purchased with the legacy MS Sidewinder "Mission Commander". I'd like to make that a "joystick" seen by FSUIPC. Have any suggestions on how I'd do that?

Er .. if it's a joystick, known to Windows as a joystick, it would be seem by FSUIPC. What does Windows think it is? What does FS itself see it as? What IS it, in fact?

Regards

Pete

Pete, the Strategic Commander is not seen as a gaming device (by design, according to MS). So I'm guessing it's a glorified keyboard macro transmitter. grrrr. By the way, I changed references to "Mission Commander" to "Strategic Commander" because I made a boo boo. It has a swiveling body which is, supposedly, a pair of joystick axes... still messing with it.

Pete, the Strategic Commander is not seen as a gaming device (by design, according to MS). So I'm guessing it's a glorified keyboard macro transmitter. grrrr. By the way, I changed references to "Mission Commander" to "Strategic Commander" because I made a boo boo. It has a swiveling body which is, supposedly, a pair of joystick axes... still messing with it.

OkayI think you are right. I Googled it, and all the references and reviews I found, though not terribly clear, did strongly imply that it was a programmable keyboard macro device, exactly as you say.

Regards

Pete

Is it possible to have FSUIPC translate one keystroke into another?

I want to have, say, CTL+SH+1 translated into SH+5.

That would help immensely.

Well there's nothing designed in it to do that. I think the only way you might be able to do that is to program the first keystroke to send the FSUIPC-added control 'Key Press and Release'. You should be able to find it in the drop down list.

The parameter for that gives the Keycode + 256 x the shift code. You'll need to look up the key and shift codes in the Advanced User's guide (the list in the Buttons section). For Shift+5 it would be 101 + (256 x 1) = 356, if you mean the NumPad 5, else 53 + (256 x 1) = 309 for the main keyboard 5.

Regards

Pete