The simFlight Network Forums

Assign axis control to heading bug help

please help i am trying to assign a axis contol to the heading bug so that i can move the bug with the axis . i have tried assigning heading bug select in axis assignment window but when in simulator x the bug move but jumps around and on small movement of axis .if i can get this to work would like to do the autopilot altitude bug .

Sorry for the delay in replying -- as mentioned in the Announcements above, my wife and I were off touring Argentina & Chile (by steam trains where possible) immediately after I returned to the UK from the AVSIM FanCon in Seattle.

please help i am trying to assign a axis contol to the heading bug so that i can move the bug with the axis .

The control for that is "HEADING BUG SET", with the parameter giving the heading (in degrees, 0359).

The problem you have there is to get the axis calibrated to give exactly 360 increments 0-359, somehow wrapping around at 360 to 0 (and back). I don't think that is feasible. I don't even know of any axes which could provide such a fine resolution, and even if there was it couldn't be easily controlled unless it was very large!

Please describe how the axis would actually be used to set specific values, remembering there's no maximum and minimum or centre, it is continuous 0... 3590 ...

if i can get this to work would like to do the autopilot altitude bug .

The control is AP ALT VAR SET ENGLISH, which has the altitude in feet as a parameter (0-65500). The same problem applies here, with an axis. For a range of say 0 to 40000 in 100's you'd need 401 discrete values at intervals of 100. Exact mind, no approximations.

Most hardware implementations of these setting knobs use not axes but rotary encoders, which just send an indication of "I've been turned right" or "I've been turned left", on each click. These are then programmed just like centre-biassed double throw switches: using the normal INC and DEC controls.

Regards

Pete