The simFlight Network Forums

How to make a rotary work the DH and Baro settings

Hi Pete,

First, disregard that making toggles reverse topic. I got it to work right now.

I have a few GoFlight 45 mod rotary switchs/knobs. They act like all the same ones that, lets say, are used on the MCP to set heading or speed. They don't have a set stopping point per turn, like "real rotary switch, but each little small "click" will registar (show its value) in your module's buttons and switches. However, I am not sure if it will work thru your module, as I tried to set one "click" (like a switch function) for increase dec height, but nothing happened.

What type of switch or button do I need to use to set DH and Baro press? I assume that I must use increase and decrease dec. height to set that?

Do you know how others or yourself, are setting these two items and what hardware one can use?

Thanks

Randy

It shouldn't matter what you change with the Rotary Encoders - so long as there's an FSUIPC control you should be able to adjust FS using the FSUIPC interface. I've 'hijacked' once of my GoFlight rotary encoders to change the zoom level in the GPS panel and I know it will work for Decision Height as I change that the same way but through my own hardware interface.

You use the FS menu to launch FSUIPC, click on the Buttons/Switches tab and turn the encoder in one direction. The info on the FSUIPC tab should tell you it' recognised a button push (even though we all know it's an encoder - FSUIPC doesn't need to care). As soon as you see that click the 'FS Control' tick box and select the item you want to change in the drop down box beneath it (eg GPS Increase Zoom or whatever). Once you OK that you should find each one of those soft little clicks will change send that command - zoom in a little in my case - and you just repeat the process by clicking the Rescan button and turning the encoder the other way before you pick a new itme to control (eg GPS Decrease zoom).

May have the details a little awry here - I'm writing this from memory at wort but it should help you get it working.

All the best

Ian

I have a few GoFlight 45 mod rotary switchs/knobs. They act like all the same ones that, lets say, are used on the MCP to set heading or speed. They don't have a set stopping point per turn, like "real rotary switch, but each little small "click" will registar (show its value) in your module's buttons and switches. However, I am not sure if it will work thru your module, as I tried to set one "click" (like a switch function) for increase dec height, but nothing happened.

The Goflight rotaries are actually mentioned spcifically in the FSUIPC documentation 9user Guide, Buttons section), where it explains that each such switch provides 4 distinct "button" numbers in FSUIPC -- fast right, slow right, slow left, fast left. You can program these for incs and decs as you like. Each click is either a press or release -- they alternate -- so if you want every click to count you program both press and release for the same INC or DEC.

What type of switch or button do I need to use to set DH and Baro press? I assume that I must use increase and decrease dec. height to set that?

GF rotaries will work fine. BARO is by Kohlsman Inc and Kohlsman Dec controls, Decision height is Decrease Decision Height and Increase Decision Height.

Pete