The simFlight Network Forums

Reinstalling FSUIPC

Hi Peter.

I'm in the process of reinstalling FS9 after a system crash, and I've encountered something unusal.

I have a registered version of FSUIPC 3.70. In rebuilding FS9, I reinstalled FSUIPC and reregistered the product without a problem. Last night as I was reinstalling my aircraft, textures and other folders, I did something that impacted FSUIPC. When I fly, I cannot 'Hide all single line messages." The box is checked, but I still get the single line message across the top of the screen. My guess is that I will need to reinstall FSUIPC or reset the settings and start from crash.

Any advice?

Thanks

--WH

I have a registered version of FSUIPC 3.70.

You don't "register" a specific version, but 3.xxx (or 4.xxx for FSX). 3.70 is pretty old and is not supported. You should be on 3.75 at least. There's a later one still available in the "Other Downloads" announcement above. Please update.

I did something that impacted FSUIPC. When I fly, I cannot 'Hide all single line messages." The box is checked, but I still get the single line message across the top of the screen. My guess is that I will need to reinstall FSUIPC or reset the settings and start from crash.

There's nothing really accomplished by "reinstalling" FSUIPC. That whole process would be simply one of deleting the FSUIPC.DLL module and putting it back again. That accomplishes nothing, as you will realise.

The only thing possibly akin to "reinstalling" is to delete the FSUIPC.INI file, before running FS. That will reset everything in FSUIPC to initial defaults.

Can you give me an example of what messages you are getting displayed which you think should be suppressed, please? Also, try it without the FSUIPC.KEY file in the Modules folder, just in case it is a problem with the Registration.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter.

You are right on all accounts. I removed all the FSUIPC files from the module directory, updated to version 3.766, and went through the registry process. (the prior version worked flawlessly since I installed it, BTW,)

The problem is that I cannot remove the single line messages regardless of what I set. Your program should remove the green bar with red text messages at the top such as 'Tailhook Extended', etc., but for some reason it is not.

Thanks

--WH

Peter,

I'm still trying to get FSUIPC to hide the single line messages, and am having no success.

As I mentioned previously, I'm now using version 3.766 for FS9. I removed the ini and key files, and re-registered. Still the problem exists. I've even tried version 3.75, but something is preventing the program from impacting the messages displayed by FS9.

I might mention that I use FSAutoStart to shut down background programs and services. Might there be a service that is required by FSUIPC, that I might be shuting down? Or might their be some security feature with Windows XP that is preventing the program from properly working?

I'm baffled.

--WH

As I mentioned previously, I'm now using version 3.766 for FS9. I removed the ini and key files, and re-registered. Still the problem exists. I've even tried version 3.75, but something is preventing the program from impacting the messages displayed by FS9.

You seem to have ignored parts of my previous reply. Please give me an example of the messages you are expecting to be suppressed. The only one you've mentioned so far is "tailhook extended" which is one I've never even heard of or seen myself. I really cannot do anything without more details. Possibly the messages you are concerned about were never suppressed by FSUIPC in any case, only by FS CFG file parameters, which you have forgotten to re-enter?

I might mention that I use FSAutoStart to shut down background programs and services. Might there be a service that is required by FSUIPC, that I might be shuting down? Or might their be some security feature with Windows XP that is preventing the program from properly working?

No, no way. FSUIPC is completely self-contained in this. It intercepts the messages via a hook into FS's innards. The only way that wouldn't "take" is if the version of the module it is hooking into is one which it doesn't recognise. FSUIPC3.7xx recognises FS9.0 and FS9.1. It may not work with FS9 pre-release Betas.

Incidentally, these messages cannot be intercepted in FSX in any case. The facility now only works for external program's messages.

Regards

Pete

Please give me an example of the messages you are expecting to be suppressed.
Sorry. I wasn't ignoring your request. Lets see if I can clarify this some more.

Prior to two weeks ago, FS9 and FSUIPC ran flawlessly. The one feature that worked without a problem was the ability to hide/disable single line messages.

On Friday, November 23rd my Windows XP Operating system failed and I was forced to reformat my HD and reinstall Windows XP, FS9 and all my Flight Sim utilities including FSUIPC.

Ten days ago everything was up and running, including a fresh install of FS9 and the 9.1 patch. Last week I reinstalled (my backup copy) of FSUIPC and at first it worked fine. As I continued to restore all my aircraft, scenery, etc., I noticed that FSUIPC was no longer supressing the single line messages.

The messages I am referring to include the messages indicating that an exit has opened/closed, the tailhook has extended/retracted, and the wings have folded/unfolded. These are the standard messages in red text within a green bar which are displayed across the top of the screen. I have the lower messages [e.g., brakes] disabled through the FS9.CFG settings. Perhaps these will help..

Settings..

Image1.jpg

Wing fold..

Image2.jpg

Tailhook..

Image3.jpg

Exit opening..

Image4.jpg

Now, as I mentioned I have used FSUIPC for years so I know what to expect. It is a great program, and I am not faulting its design. I liked the ability to turn this feature both on or off. I typically disable the messages during normal flight since I take a lot of screen shots. I typically enable the messages when I do carrier landings with ArrCab, since that utility displays messages of its own.

As I have gone through all of the latest Windows XP upgrades from SP1, as well as reinstalled all my firewall and virus programs, I suspect that something is inhibiting FSUIPC from functioning properly. Weird, but that is the only thing I can think of at the moment as everything else is in order. I will do some more testing tonight, and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

--WH

The messages I am referring to include the messages indicating that an exit has opened/closed, the tailhook has extended/retracted, and the wings have folded/unfolded. These are the standard messages in red text within a green bar which are displayed across the top of the screen.

Hmm. I'm not sure how they are produced. Long ago I suppressed pretty much all of FS's messages so maybe I've never seen these. For FSUIPC's interception, probably the best test is to check the ATIS messages. Have you done so?

[LATER]

Okay, I found out how to get the "main exit opening/closing" and "exit open" message back -- restore the original LANGUAGE.DLL module in the main FS9 folder. Obviously I was using a patched version with such messages eliminated.

... and, yes, you are correct. FSUIPC does suppress those (at least the exits ones). Interesting. I didn't know that. They must use the same call into WINDOW.DLL

Anyway, it does mean your current findings are indeed baffling. I can only think the explanation is one of three things:

1. The version of Window.DLL in your modules folder is not one which FSUIPC recognises, so it cannot insert the hook, or

2. Somehow the data area into which it inserts the hook is write-protected in memory, or

3. the Window.DLL is not, for some reason, actually available in memory during FSUIPC's initialisation.

I'm not sure how to eliminate any of these. You could try adding the "InitDelay" parameter to the [General] section of FSUIPC.INI. Try InitDelay=3, to make it delay 3 seconds. If the reason for the problem is (3) that should help. you could even try longer. It's been defaluted to zero on FS9 but was 3 seconds on FS2002 and before.

Reason (1) seems extremely unlikely. I'm not sure about (2). For some things FSUIPC does have to unprotect memory, do the changes, then re-protect it. But this hook is in a table which is filled in by other modules in FS too, so it seems unlikely.

Regards

Pete

Hi, Pete.

Thanks for the response and your patience.

I restored my backup copy of windows.dll to the new FS9 module, and added the InitDelay=3 line to the general section of the FSUIPC.ini. The results were the same - the text line will not go away.

I will try some additional InitDelay settings and see if there is any improvement.

probably the best test is to check the ATIS messages. Have you done so?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't recall hearing about ATIS messaging. Is that a Windows, FS9 or other function?

--WH

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't recall hearing about ATIS messaging. Is that a Windows, FS9 or other function?

The first and original purpose of the message interception was for the long ATIS messages, to be able to redirect them. You get ATIS (an automated weather report) by tuning into an ATIS frequency -- many larger airports have such. FS will announce by voice and optionally by text. I'm surprised you've never used this facility. It's been around in FS for as long as I remember, certainly since FS2000 probably before.

If it isn't intercepting any messages then something very strange is certainly going on. I'm not sure how to help at present. I may have to add some diagnostics to the logging to help you track it down.

Regards

Pete

I'm surprised you've never used this facility.
LOL. Not enough hours in the day nor room on the HD.
I may have to add some diagnostics to the logging to help you track it down.

Thanks. That would help.

I was wondering. Is there a way to test to see if FSUIPC is actually running? I've been focusing so much on the messaging issue, I was wondering if the other features are functioning or not. I've checked my background programs and services, and didn't see anything so I'm assuming that FSUIPC only runs from within FS9.

--WH

I was wondering. Is there a way to test to see if FSUIPC is actually running?

If the options are accessible, as they must be for you to set the single line suppression option, then it is most certainly "running".

I've checked my background programs and services, and didn't see anything so I'm assuming that FSUIPC only runs from within FS9.

It runs as part of FS. It does create a few minor threads, but otherwise resides entirely within the normal cycle of FS event and message processing, and shares the same Windows Message queue.

I will look to see what diagnostics I can add to delve further into the matter. This week, if not tomorrow.

Regards

Pete

I've sent you a special logging version of FSUIPC by email.

After trying three times to one of your email addresses and, just today, a fourth time to another email address, I've now actually moved further on and released FSUIPC 3.768 (see the Other Downloads announcement above).

Please download and install that. Try it as it is first of all (it won't log anything extra as it stands). It has a change in that it keeps trying to insert the message intercept if it doesn't succeed at first (though I have never seen the WINDOW.DLL loaded later in an FS session).

If it still doesn't seem to work, please close FS and add the following two lines to the [General] section of FSUIPC.INI:

Debug=Please

LogExtras=4

Then run FS and make it produce those text lines which should have been removed. Show me the resulting FSUIPC.LOG file.

Regards

Pete

Well, I'm happy :D to report that FSUIPC 3.768 works like a charm. The messages are off when the 'hide' feature is engaged, and the messages are on when the 'hide' feature is disengaged.

Thanks, Peter. I really appreciate your extra effort on this. I was beginning to worry that there was something weird going on with my reinstall of FS9. I'd invite you over for a pint, but I think it's a long drive for you. :wink:

As for those errant e-mails, they never did arrive. I have no idea where they went, or who has them. Something sinister must be going on. Trust me I get a lot of weird e-mails from my friends, so I know the spam blocker and ISP block very little. :mrgreen:

Anyways, thanks again. Much appreciated. Great customer service.

--WH

Well, I'm happy :D to report that FSUIPC 3.768 works like a charm. The messages are off when the 'hide' feature is engaged, and the messages are on when the 'hide' feature is disengaged.

Oh, good. What must have been happening, then, is that your memory arrangements or loading order are such that the Window.DLL (the part of FS which provides the assorted windowing facilities) isn't being loaded in time for the previous method I was using to insert the hooks. Even the 3 seconds delay you added wasn't enough.

3.768 keeps trying to apply the hooks if it doesn't succeed the first time. Odd that I've never found a need for such steps before.

As for those errant e-mails, they never did arrive. I have no idea where they went, or who has them. Something sinister must be going on.

No, that is weird and worrying. There are 4 copies of 3.767a with added diagnostic logging floating about out there, somewhere!

Regards

Pete