The simFlight Network Forums

Multiple Network Interfaces WideFS

Windows XP Pro, FSX, FSUIPC 4

I have multiple network interface cards installed. One is for my local network and allows access to the internet as well. I do not allow file/printer sharing on this interface and it is firewall protected via Router ACL. The 2nd interface is for the protected FlightSim network. This is where I will run Project Magenta, but don't want its required File shares to be available from the other subnet. I have WideFS server on the FSX machine and WideFS on two other machines to drive PM components. I want to restrict the WideView Server to listen on ONLY one IP address (not all addresses as is the default , I believe ) I have configured WideFS client to point to the WideFS server(FSX machine ) and this works fine, but I don't want the WideFS ports to be available on the Other interface. Is there a hidden (hint) config parm I can add to the fsuipc.ini file for WideFS interface=192.168.x.x ???

I have WideFS server on the FSX machine and WideFS on two other machines to drive PM components. I want to restrict the WideView Server to listen on ONLY one IP address (not all addresses as is the default , I believe )

I don't know what WidevieW does, I'm afraid, as it is not my program. However, Server's listen on PORTS, not IP addresses! You seem to be a bit mixed up. WideServer listens on a specific, configurable, port.

I have configured WideFS client to point to the WideFS server(FSX machine ) and this works fine, but I don't want the WideFS ports to be available on the Other interface.

Where else are you running WideServer? Only the PC running FS will be listening on the selected port.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Sorry, I mistyped when I said WideView server, what I meant was the WideFS server.

When your server opens a Port, and you do NOT specify a specific interface (ip address) or you specify ANY (the default), then the socket is bound to the port on ANY address that is on the machine (local computer) That means if you have 192.168.21.100 , and 192.168.22.100 (two nic's whether on the same subnet or not) your Port (9000 ) would be bound to both. IF, however, you specify a specific address on the socket bind, then the socket/port will only be bound to that Specific address.

This is how you can have mutliple HTTP servers on the same machine both listening on port 80, but on different Interfaces.

So when you define the socket and specify the port, you can also specify a discrete IP addess

So when you define the socket and specify the port, you can also specify a discrete IP addess

Okay, maybe you can, but I don't. This isn't a problem because only Wideclient can use the connection and it is (a) only run where you want to run it, and (b) directable to a specific Server and port.

Regards

Pete