The simFlight Network Forums

METAR Data

Is there a way to import the METAR data from your FSUIPC Interface?

Do you mean just the weather data, or an actual METAR text string?

FSUIPC3 contains three distinct weather reading (and writing) interfaces: the original FS98/FS2000 fixed global weather offsets, the "Advanced Weather Interface" (AWI) designed to take advantage of the more advanced weather first introduced in FS2000 -- but still global only -- and the "New Weather Interface" (NWI) introduced with FS2002 and which allows individual weather station weather to be read and written.

FSUIPC4 includes all these plus a METAR string reading/writing facility too. It is done via SimConnect.

The SDK contains all the information on all of these. You will also find little demo utilities WeatherSet (using the AWI) and WeatherSet2 (using the NWI) in the FSUIPC ZIPs. You can play around with those, see what they do.

Regards

Pete

The problem is that I am building the ACARS program to interfase with FSUIPC 3.51 and above. I would just need the string, not the actual weather handling parameters.

Just so I can give the user on request the METAR text string.

Is there a way to do this without SimConnect?

Thanks much,

Teo

The problem is that I am building the ACARS program to interfase with FSUIPC 3.51 and above. I would just need the string, not the actual weather handling parameters.

There's no METAR strings in FSUIPC3. You'd have to read the weather data and build your own METAR string. It isn't hard -- much easier than decoding the things, given all the variations that can occur!

Is there a way to do this without SimConnect?

SimConnect only applies to FSX, and, yes, FSUIPC4 provides a way of doing it. But that's FSX, not earlier.

Regards

Pete