The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Overwriting Comment Lines

Hi Pete,

It is my undestanding that inserting standalone comment lines in the FSUIPC.ini file is acceptable as long as each comment has an index number associated with the line. With FSX-sp1 and FSUIPC v4.208(beta), I'm finding my comment lines are being over-written/ereased when using the FSUIPC GUI. I had several button comments such as:

[buttons]

0=;Yoke Button #1

5=;Yoke Button #2

9=;Yoke Button #3

These were erased the next time I made changes in the "Button Assignments" page in the FSUIPC GUI. I have not yet had the oportunity to see if the same is true for FS9 and FSUIPC3.

Just thought I'd let you know...

AL

It is my undestanding that inserting standalone comment lines in the FSUIPC.ini file is acceptable as long as each comment has an index number associated with the line. With FSX-sp1 and FSUIPC v4.208(beta), I'm finding my comment lines are being over-written/ereased when using the FSUIPC GUI. I had several button comments such as

Yes, I think that was the same bug which also caused this, as noted:

1. A bug in the Buttons and Switches options screen caused any button definition which carried a comment (after a ';' character) to be displayed as if unassigned. The action already assigned worked still, it just looked free. This has been fixed in this version.

It should be working now, in 4.208. Do you have evidence to think otherwise?

Happy New Year

Pete

Yes Sir, I received a new Saitke Yoke & Throttle set for Christmas and have been using 4.208 beta (See thread requesting new buttons below) and had manually inserted standalone comment lines for each of the yoke buttons. While using the GUI to test new throttle-lever button assignemnts, I noted that these comment lines, which had sequencial index numbers assigned before the semi-colon, were completely erased by new assignments from within the GUI.

Hope this helps...

Welcome back...

AL

... have been using 4.208 beta (See thread requesting new buttons below) and had manually inserted standalone comment lines for each of the yoke buttons. While using the GUI to test new throttle-lever button assignemnts, I noted that these comment lines, which had sequencial index numbers assigned before the semi-colon, were completely erased by new assignments from within the GUI.

Hmm. Strange as that code is now the same as it was in FS9. I'll re-check it here.

Pete

I noted that these comment lines, which had sequencial index numbers assigned before the semi-colon, were completely erased by new assignments from within the GUI.

Okay. After more extensive testing I find that some such comment lines, by no means all, can be erased by new button assignments being INSERTED into the list. Just modifying existing assignments doesn't disturb them.

The same actually applies to the earlier versions of FSUIPC, for FS9 and before. In fact I think it has always been this way. Evidently the use of such comments has only really been applied to those building larger libraries of buttons assignments (probably with logical conditions and so on), and not by anyone actually doing any large amendments through the dialogue.

So, it is probably a design flaw rather than a simple bug, so I'm going to have to try to delve into the update logic (which, ahem, has not really been changed for five or six years and so will be, er, a bit dusty and cobwebby by now!). I'll do my best but I am not guaranteeing to fix this at present ...

Regards

Pete

I'm sorry you're probably gonna get some cobwebs on 'ya there Pete but we all appreciate the effort. I think you're gonna find quite a few more folks editting and creating larger, more complex ini files for the new Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quads. If you're not familiar with it yet, it has a 3-way modal switch on the right forfinger that works nicely in FSUIPC as a tripple modal switch. I just finished assigning almost 100 buttons to the general section of my ini file yesterday and needless to say, comment lines really help. This morning I'm rewritting my aircraft-specific sections...

Regards,

AL

I'm sorry you're probably gonna get some cobwebs on 'ya there Pete

Actually, I've fixed it already. It was just a silly error after all, not a design flaw. ;-)

I've got a few other things to do before I can make a Release, but fixed versions for both FS9 and FSX should be available in the Downloads announcements above within the next day or two.

Regards

Pete