The simFlight Network Forums

Cant seem to get pfc cirrus 2 to work with fs2002. HELP !!!

I am running msfs2002 with a cirrus 2 attached through a usb-serial converter on vista. I have the twin engine throttle props mixtures quadrant. I have read through many of the posts in these forums and have made a little progress. At first nothing worked.

Now the checks of equipment operation all pass except the mcp and project maj. The elevator control doesn't pass until it has run through the test several times but eventually passes. the avionics passes even though there are none connected (is this correct ?) same with rudders (pass the test yet none connected)

There are no usb or gameport joysticks or anything else like that connected to the system.

When i go to set up the axis on the quadrant page, i cannot get any of the sliders to move. i have tried automatic, manual and set defaults. none of the values will change with moves of the levers on the quadrant. However, the left mixture seems to go up and down every once in a while with no control input from me.

when i go to the test page, it is obvoious that there is something funny going on. if i move the throttles or any other quadrant lever axis, I get LOTS of crazy radio commands e.g.:

B7 Sound = pressed

C9 FuelPmpR = Off

F6 03 A/P FD pressed

E7 08 FF 3F ? Unknown!

FF 3C ? Unknown!

FF 3D ? Unknown!

FF 29 ? Unknown!

Tpndr digit 4 up

Tpndr mode = ALT

F0 03 COM1 Coarse freq = Down

F8 03 Cons F9

I have removed the throttle quadrant and there is no switch behind it.

I am starting to suspect the power source or the serial to usb connection. Is there a way to check the quality of the power source ?

ANY other Ideas ?????

HELP !!!!

Now the checks of equipment operation all pass except the mcp and project maj.

Ok. The PFC MCP presumably isn't connected and you are not using Project Magenta.

The elevator control doesn't pass until it has run through the test several times but eventually passes.

That's a bit strange. I can understand a parked throttle not passing immediately, as it sends the same signal as an unplugged quadrant (so you sometimes have to move it off idle first), but elevator and aileron should be giving normal readable values from the go.

the avionics passes even though there are none connected (is this correct ?) same with rudders (pass the test yet none connected)

Not sure -- the checks are only based on certain regilar signals sent by the firmware inside the unit. Maybe those signals are sent whether or not there's a connection, but I don't think that's correct. That's something to ask PFC. It sounds like the firmware is giving spurious signals.

When i go to set up the axis on the quadrant page, i cannot get any of the sliders to move. i have tried automatic, manual and set defaults. none of the values will change with moves of the levers on the quadrant. However, the left mixture seems to go up and down every once in a while with no control input from me.

Maybe the spasmodic mixture axis is what is telling the connection check that the quadrant is working okay.

when i go to the test page, it is obvoious that there is something funny going on. if i move the throttles or any other quadrant lever axis, I get LOTS of crazy radio commands

Ahthat sounds like it is using the Elite protocol, not the native PFC one. Are you sure you have a version which can be used with FS? Do you have Elite as well? What did you actually buy?

You may need to send the unit back to PFC for a conversion if you've changed from Elite to MSFS.

I am starting to suspect the power source or the serial to usb connection. Is there a way to check the quality of the power source ?

None of the USB-Serial adapters I've ever seen have any power source. They are just little plug things, and very cheap too. Make sure you plug them directly into a PC motherboard USB port though, not an unpowered multiplier.

ANY other Ideas ?????

sounds like you need PFC support. Have you tried that?

Regards

Pete

I have tried to contact pfc to no avail.

Are they the supplier? If not, contact your supplier.

By power source, I meant the power to the console

If it is underpowered it can cause problems. Have you had problems ever since you bought it, with the same power supply? If not it is unlikely to be that. Have you ever used it with FS before? Have you ever used it with "Elite" stuff?

The fact that you mention a switch behind the quadrant implies to me that someplace you've read of models which are switchable between PFC and Elite protocols. Have you? Maybe yours is an earlier model, with the older controller board, and which is not switchable?

There's more questions you need to answer I think.

Regards

Pete

I just acquired the unit used. It looks to be in almost new condition. I have seen posts about the same type of problem being fixed by the switch behind the quadrant. I have never had it running on any sim. I will get elite if that is what I have to do, but would prefer to get it running with msfs2002. I also read in one of your replies to somebody that the power source could cause trouble if not working properly. I don't mind upgrading this console if that is what is needed, but I can't seem to reach pfc.

How can I tell which model i have ??

Any other Ideas ???

Thank You :P

I just acquired the unit used. It looks to be in almost new condition. I have seen posts about the same type of problem being fixed by the switch behind the quadrant. I have never had it running on any sim. I will get elite if that is what I have to do, but would prefer to get it running with msfs2002.

I think you should check with PFC what to do. I do not know enough about all the variations of their hardware to advise. I do know they made kit specifically for Elite as well as the current switchable kit and FS/Xplane usable kit. Try to contact PFC in Sacramento next week -- they are most likely still clodsed this week. Most manufactuers are.

I also read in one of your replies to somebody that the power source could cause trouble if not working properly.

Well it can do, but the only real cases of that I have encountered were in a small place in Malaysia and other far flung parts of the world where the power supply available was fluctuating like mad and so causing all sorts of jitters on the axes. It was for that I added a lot of the smoothing and digital filtering in my driver.

Really your results do look like it is operating with the wrong protocol.

How can I tell which model i have ??

Sorry, I've no idea. I suppose you read the labels on it? They wouldn't mean anything to me in any case -- you'd need them to tell PFC. Maybe it has a serial number on the back someplace?

Regards

Pete

OK

I got a hold of pfc this morning and they did confirm that I have an older model only compatible

with ELITE. I went to the elite website an they have a downlaod to use their equipment with fs2002 and 2004 and X. I downloaded it and now everything works well except the elevator trim buttons.

Thanks again for the quick replies

Chilltrans

I got a hold of pfc this morning and they did confirm that I have an older model only compatible

with ELITE. I went to the elite website an they have a downlaod to use their equipment with fs2002 and 2004 and X. I downloaded it and now everything works well except the elevator trim buttons.

Okay. Glad you're mostly sorted out. Thanks for keeping us in the picture.

Pete