The simFlight Network Forums

Key Presses

Hi Pete, I just purchased and installed FSUIPC 4.2 on my P3.2 GHZ ,XP os with,SP1 and SP2 for FSX. My situation, When assigning key presses to the ATC Menu it does work but, only after closing the Menu window. Assigning Key Presses to other functions all work ok. Thanks Pete for your great work. Michael

When assigning key presses to the ATC Menu it does work but, only after closing the Menu window. Assigning Key Presses to other functions all work ok.

In FSX, unlike in FS9 and before, when the ATC Menu is showing it seems to trap the keyboard input itself, and passes very few on at all. This actually seriously clobbers keyboard fliers using ATC, because when the ATC Menu is showing they cannot use the NumPad keys for the aileron, elevator, throttle and trim operations!

The problem has been reported to Microsoft but i don't expect it to be changed now before FSX1.

Perhaps you should try using the FS ATC controls instead? I've not tried them, but they shouldn't become trapped like key presses would be. See ATC MENU 0 to 9 controls.

BTW a full list of FSX controls is installed in your FSX Modules folder by FSUIPC4's installer. In general you are ALWAYS better off assigning the controls directly. Key presses are mainly of use for 3rd party programs. When you send FS a key press it looks it up in its assignments and converts it to the FS Control, so it is always more efficient to assign the control in the first place. ;-)

Regards

Pete