The simFlight Network Forums

transfer rate of widefs

Hi Pete,

My FS PC is a P4 3hz with hyperthreading. I got several widefs clients on somewhat lower end PC´s like celeron 2.66Ghz. I noticed there that the clients get only about 10 times per second data from widefs and I cannot get this higher. I checked the network traffic and this is rather low 0.01..0.05% . I checked the CPU usage on the clients, around 20% so not that high.

The FS PC, I have removed the hyperthreading, stopped all processes which are really needed for FS, set the target framerate of FS to only 10 frames per second (while around 25 is reached when I set no limit) in order to reduce the load of FS itself. But all to no use, in the clients I see the same rate of data receival of 10 times per second. Even I connect only one client, no improvement. Any idea or is this normal and somewhere a limit of widefs?

Any ideas how to improve this?

Greetz Peter Depoortere

Belgium

My FS PC is a P4 3hz with hyperthreading. I got several widefs clients on somewhat lower end PC´s like celeron 2.66Ghz. I noticed there that the clients get only about 10 times per second data from widefs and I cannot get this higher. I checked the network traffic and this is rather low 0.01..0.05% . I checked the CPU usage on the clients, around 20% so not that high.

Generally the displayed frame rate in WideClient (that IS what you are reading, I assume?) more or less closely matches the displayed frame rate in FS. It will only tend to dip if you are asking for massive amounts of data - like using FSInterrogate for a whole raft of stuff.

Anyway, you provide no information for me to tell you any more.You don't even say what version of FS it is. FS9 or FSX? What aplications are you using on the clients? What is the effect if you only have one client not "several"?

Please show WideClient and WideServer log files -- complete ones, from after they close down. This is important because all of the performance and error recovery information is tallied at the end of the log, when closing.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I thought I had enough info send to you but it seems I need be more specific.

Well, its FS9, qnd I made the capital mistake that I thought to lower the framerate

in order to free CPU for widefs but by doing that I actually worsened the problem because I read that wideserver is sending the info on FS frame speed.

So now I did the opposite, I increase the framerate in FS and i see also the data rate

that project magenta PFD is receiving going up. PFD of PM is making its framerate double the data receive rate from wideclient. Also my FSCOMMUNICATOR PC now also receives higher data rate from FS. So I will proceed with lower FS settings yielding higher framerates.

Thanks anyway

Peter

Belgium

I made the capital mistake that I thought to lower the framerate

in order to free CPU for widefs but by doing that I actually worsened the problem because I read that wideserver is sending the info on FS frame speed.

Ah, I see. Yes, WideServer tends to be tied to the FS frame rate, because that's when the data it is sending gets updated. There's not a lot of point in going faster.

The prime reason for limiting the FS frame rate is to keep it regular, not going up and down like a yo-yo. It would have to be quite a poorly performing system these days to need limiting just so WideServer could keep up, though you might need to limit it if any of your client can't keep up -- not too likely unless, like me on my test system, you run three copies of Project Magenta's PFD glass cockpit programs on one poor machine wth a Parhelia card driving three monitors! ;-)

Regards

Pete