The simFlight Network Forums

Different Axis Letter b/w FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4?

Hi Pete,

Got a quick question for 'ya. I've noticed something a bit curious about one of the axis letters. I'm just wondering why one of the axis letters is assigned a bit differently in FSUIPC4 than in FSUIPC3? On the same WinXPsp2 machine (simultanious install of both FS9.1 and FSXsp2), the #4 axis (shown below) is assigned a different letter. In FSX it is scanned as "2V". In FS9, it is scanned as "2R". Same hardware (does this for my current Saitek Yoke and my older CH Yoke). All other axis and devices are scanned identically. I disable FS joysticks in both FS menues. Difference has been seen over many different versions of both FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4. Difference is also noted on weather using FSXsp1 and FSXsp2. Letter was also different wether assigned as Direct or Normal axis. Thinking out-loud, there must be some tiny bit difference in the way FSUIPC4 assigns letters than FSUIPC3. Even axis scanned after this particular one remain the same.

The only reason I noticed this is becuase I like to flat-copy the assignments and calibrations sections between FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC3 to quickly keep both FSUIPC.ini files up to date. Everything works great in both versions when I do this, except I have to keep reverting this one axis letter assignment between "R" and "V" and I thought you might find this curious as well. Not a big deal whatsoever, just wanted to mention it.

[Axes]
0=2X,256,D,1,0,0,0 ;            AILERON_SET
1=2Y,256,D,2,0,0,0 ;            ELEVATOR_SET
2=2Z,256,D,9,0,0,0 ;            THROTTLE1_SET
3=2U,256,D,10,0,0,0 ;           THROTTLE2_SET
4=2R,256,D,17,0,0,0 ;           PROP_PITCH1_SET
. . . 

Regards,

AL

I'm just wondering why one of the axis letters is assigned a bit differently in FSUIPC4 than in FSUIPC3?

That can only be because the Direct Input driver for your joystick classifies them differently from the old Windows "joy" API part of the same driver. FSUIPC3 uses the old methods (as FS98 and before used to), whereas FSUIPC4 uses Direct Input (but only for Axes, not for buttons). Hopefully this never affects the basic axes, X and Y.

The joystick / gamepad devices I have here all seem to give the same axis mappings, but I can see that this could be different depending on the supplier's programming.

Regards

Pete

That can only be because the Direct Input driver for your joystick classifies them differently from the old Windows "joy" API part of the same driver.

Oh yea, I forgot that changed b/w FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4. That indeed makes sense...

AL