The simFlight Network Forums

Activation Key Does Not Work

The key that I was given does not work after repeated attempts.

What's the solution to this problem. SimFlight states it is a valid code and it is not their problem and to contact Peter.

This is an activation key for what, exactly? You need to be rather more specific. Are you talking about FSUIPC3, FSUIPC4, WideFS6 or WideFS7? Those are the only programs which I produce which need any Keys at all.

What is the actual symptom of it "not working". And did you make really sure you were entering all three parts (name, email AND Key) exactly right? I always recommend cut-and-paste to be sure. You'd be amazed at how many folks don't spell their own names the same twice running! ;-)

Don't post any private details here, especially not your Key. Provide some more information, which you surely must realise s needed, and we'll go from there.

Pete

The key that I was given does not work after repeated attempts.

What's the solution to this problem. SimFlight states it is a valid code and it is not their problem and to contact Peter.

This is an activation key for what, exactly? You need to be rather more specific. Are you talking about FSUIPC3, FSUIPC4, WideFS6 or WideFS7? Those are the only programs which I produce which need any Keys at all.

What is the actual symptom of it "not working". And did you make really sure you were entering all three parts (name, email AND Key) exactly right? I always recommend cut-and-paste to be sure. You'd be amazed at how many folks don't spell their own names the same twice running! ;-)

Don't post any private details here, especially not your Key. Provide some more information, which you surely must realise s needed, and we'll go from there.

Pete

Hi Peter

I am speaking of FSUIPC4. I load FSX, select a flight, go to modules, FSUIPC, go to register, enter my name and email address, and then enter (paste) the key from the email, select confirm. Resatrt FSX and the module FSUPIC still shows unregistered.

Can you help me. I have installed earlier versions of FSUIPC in the previous flight sims with no difficulties. I have a new computer and only have FSX installed.

I am speaking of FSUIPC4. I load FSX, select a flight, go to modules, FSUIPC, go to register, enter my name and email address, and then enter (paste) the key from the email, select confirm. Resatrt FSX and the module FSUPIC still shows unregistered.

Are you using Vista? Did you read the Installation section of the User Guide? Perhaps you missed the important point emboldened and in red in the section entitled "Next … running FSX. But read this first"? You need to take specific action when registering with Vista.

In the next update of the Installer (before the end of this month, for sure) I am adding registration facilities to the Installer, so this will be taken care of better. As it is at present, however, Vista's over-protective nature really means lots of complications which weren't there before.

Regards

Pete

Are you using Vista? Did you read the Installation section of the User Guide? Perhaps you missed the important point emboldened and in red in the section entitled "Next … running FSX. But read this first"? You need to take specific action when registering with Vista.

In the next update of the Installer (before the end of this month, for sure) I am adding registration facilities to the Installer, so this will be taken care of better. As it is at present, however, Vista's over-protective nature really means lots of complications which weren't there before.

Regards

Pete

Peter,

I did read the installation guide.

I am using Vista and I am running the program as the administrator.

It that what you telling me.

Dave

Please describe exactly what you are doing. So far 100% of all cases of this problem have been because folks are NOT using the right-click "run as" administrator option.

Maybe you are trying to do this on the shortcut, not on the program itself? I have heard of some cases where the shortcut produced does not correctly obey the "run as" command. In case this is the problem, use Explorer and find FSX.EXE in the FSX folder, and use the right-click method on that.

It is because of these really annoying aspects of Vista that I am revising the Installer to try and get such matters dealt with there. But that won't be for at least another week. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Please describe exactly what you are doing. So far 100% of all cases of this problem have been because folks are NOT using the right-click "run as" administrator option.

Maybe you are trying to do this on the shortcut, not on the program itself? I have heard of some cases where the shortcut produced does not correctly obey the "run as" command. In case this is the problem, use Explorer and find FSX.EXE in the FSX folder, and use the right-click method on that.

It is because of these really annoying aspects of Vista that I am revising the Installer to try and get such matters dealt with there. But that won't be for at least another week. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Peter, I am reasonably certain that I am doing everything as instructed.

I had already had doen the right click thing so that I could install a couple of aircraft. (Wilco's Cairbus and 737pic). I have been working with all the previous versions of Microsoft Flight Simulators.

FYI I am 72 years young, a college grad, and a retired airline pilot with type ratings in the Airbus, Boeing 727, and a coupld of others.

I just can not get this program to work. I have reinstalled it at least 3 times with a fresh download.

I'll just wait for the fix when you have it.

By the way, I don't care much for Vista but I am getting used to it.

Regards

Dave

But the "fix" is just the Installer providing the Registration dialogue, or an option to re-register if you already have a correctly generated KEY file in the Options folder. The Installer automatically has "elevated administrator" status by virtue of having a name including "Install". I think names including "Setup" get the same privilege. A bit simple-minded really when you think about it -- all that claptrap stopping you doing things only to have easy names to get passed it all.

So, I'm rather worried there's more going on with your system than meets they eye. Perhaps you should show me the FSUIPC4 Log file and the Install Log, both from the FSX Modules folder? You can paste hem here. I'd like to check them just in case there's something else I can spot.

It might also be of interest to see if renaming FSX.EXE temporarily as Install FSX.exe and running that not "as administrator" gives it the needed privilege. Maybe Vista also checks the internal (resource-based) name too, though, to stop such simple tricks.

Regards

Pete

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.20

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

SetupPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61637.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Okay, Probe Manifest matches installed SimConnect 60905 (Original)

Found later build SimConnect 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found later build SimConnect 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... No previous valid version found.

FSX Modules folder created okay!

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Users\David Bartlett\AppData\Roaming"

Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\AppData\Roaming"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"!

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Application Data\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Bluetooth Software\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Cache\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Contacts\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Cookies\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Desktop\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Favorites\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Links\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Local Settings\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Music\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\My Documents\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\NetHood\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\OfflineUI\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Pictures\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\PrintHood\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Recent\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Saved Games\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Searches\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\SendTo\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Start Menu\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Templates\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\UserData\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Videos\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\David Bartlett\WINDOWS\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Now installing additional files into the Modules folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX controls.pdf" okay

All installer tasks completed okay!

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.20

Okay, thanks. The installer log looks perfect. What about the FSUIPC4 log? Please make sure FSX is closed before posting it.

Regards

Pete

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.20 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="David Bartlett"

User Addr="DBartlett2@tampabay.rr.com"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

FSUIPC4 not user registered

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

DebugStatus=3

296 System time = 16:37:24

296 FLT UNC path = "C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

296 FS UNC path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1076 LogOptions=00000001

1076 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

12028 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

12028 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

12028 FSUIPC Menu entry added

12075 C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\B-737-500.FLT

12075 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\feelThere pic 737-500\B737-5A00A.AIR

19719 C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\IFR Seattle-Tacoma Intl to Portland Intl.PLN

19719 Weather Mode now = Real World

860845 C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\IFR Portland Intl to Denver Intl.PLN

889799 System time = 16:52:13, FSX time = 07:22:30 (15:22Z)

889799 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

1367552 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 480 secs = 19.4 fps

1604907 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 232 secs = 19.7 fps

1607107 C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\IFR Portland Intl to Denver Intl.PLN

1607107 C:\Users\David Bartlett\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Previous flight.FLT

1918048 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 291 secs = 19.6 fps

2273590 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 301 secs = 19.6 fps

2511117 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 227 secs = 19.7 fps

2655699 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 91 secs = 19.6 fps

12436743 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 9717 secs = 19.1 fps

12456290 C:\Users\David Bartlett\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\IFR Portland Intl to Denver Intl.PLN

12547925 System time = 20:06:30, FSX time = 07:22:27 (15:22Z)

12547925 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Average frame rate for running time of 11341 secs = 19.2 fps

Memory managed: 9543 Allocs, 9543 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.20 by Pete Dowson *********

Hmm. The FSUIPC4 log looks perfect too. I really cannot see a single reason why your KEY is accepted but fails to work. It makes no sense. The only time that has happened is when the Registration routine can't write to the Registry, but if you ran FSX "as Administrator" it must be able to.

Sorry, this case is unique. No other report of anything like this at all. I don't know how else to help at present, unless you'd like to just try that trick of renaming FSX.EXE as I suggested?

The next main user release, with the Registration option in the Installer, should be ready by the end of this coming week. I'll send you a pre-release version to try, maybe before then (but possibly partly with the old documentation still).

Regards

Pete

We never did get to the bottom of your problem in Registering FSUIPC4, but please now download version 4.25, from the FSX Downloads Announcement above. The Installer is now responsible for handling the registration, so hopefully it will have the necessary privileges. It certainly managed to do everything else correctly on your Vista system.

Let me know please.

Regards

Pete

We never did get to the bottom of your problem in Registering FSUIPC4, but please now download version 4.25, from the FSX Downloads Announcement above. The Installer is now responsible for handling the registration, so hopefully it will have the necessary privileges. It certainly managed to do everything else correctly on your Vista system.

Let me know please.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

OK. Worked great and thanks for all the help.

Dave

OK. Worked great and thanks for all the help.

Good. Thanks for letting me know.

This does indicate that your previous efforts were not actually ever giving FSX the "elevated administrator" privileges that they ought to have done, and as worked for all other Vista users I know about (including myself). So that remains a puzzle.

The code used to register from the Installer is, in fact, the exact code that failed before --the Installer calls FSUIPC4.DLL to execute it, in situ (FSX Modules) after the installation. So the only difference is that the Installer has elevated administrator privileges and FSX never did.

Probably, therefore, my other suggestion, of temporarily renaming FSX.EXE as "Install_FSX.EXE" and running that when wanting to register, would have worked fine.

Regards

Pete