The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3 issue

Hi Pete

I am a registered user of both FSUIPC 3 and 4. For different reasons I am back, for a while, on FS2004 and I realized that something was wrong in FSUIPC 3.75. FS launches normally and plays normally until I call FSUIPC. Then, the "splash" screen of FSUIPC pops up,everything is still fine. But it shows an unregistered version ( I checked FSUIPC.key and the key is the one I got from simmarket in 2005). I try to enter my key and then.... everything freezes. I am under Vista 64 bits and I already tried to run as administartor, putting privilege all around, in compatbility for XP or not.... nothing changes. What is strange is that it was working fine few months ago.. and I cannot figure out what I did in the meantime. Anyclue? Thanks in anticipation

Philippe AME

FS launches normally and plays normally until I call FSUIPC. Then, the "splash" screen of FSUIPC pops up,everything is still fine. But it shows an unregistered version ( I checked FSUIPC.key and the key is the one I got from simmarket in 2005).

There are three possible reasons for that:

1. The key or the name or the email are not as originally used for registration. Open up the FSUIPC.KEY file (it is an ordinary text file) and check ALL THREE parts. They need to be as they were, not necessarily as they are now, as for instance if you've changed emails.

2. The system date is set earlier than the registration date.

3. The signature doesn't check. Right click on the FSUIPC.DLL and check the digital signature. There are notes about this in the documentation.

I try to enter my key and then.... everything freezes.

That's pretty much always been a video driver problem when previously reported -- the dialogues are normal Windows ones. You might need to switch FS to Windowed mode first. There have been other reasons reported on occasion -- one was a "Kensington mouse Driver" conflict, I remember.

There is certainly nothing unusual about FSUIPC's dialogues, they are all boringly standard Windows. AND the dialogue code is identical in FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4.

Anyway, you shouldn't need to re-re-register if you've not reinstalled Windows or rolled back the Registry to a previous time at all. Did you check the FSUIPC.LOG to see if it registered a problem? Run FS, when ready to fly, close it. When completely closed, get the FSUIPC.LOG (from the modules folder) and show it to me.

Regards

Pete

1. The key or the name or the email are not as originally used for registration. Open up the FSUIPC.KEY file (it is an ordinary text file) and check ALL THREE parts. They need to be as they were, not necessarily as they are now, as for instance if you've changed emails.

This is all OK

2. The system date is set earlier than the registration date.

Not the case

3. The signature doesn't check. Right click on the FSUIPC.DLL and check the digital signature. There are notes about this in the documentation.

The signature is OK

For the rest, I copy the log.

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.75 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="Philippe AME"

User Addr="philippe.ame@link.net"

FSUIPC Key is provided

FSUIPC not user registered

WideFS Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=17

231625 System time = 00:35:11

231625 \\POP-PC\Flight Simulator 9\

231625 System time = 00:35:11, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

I do not suspect a video driver issue but I can only put this in relation with the installation of a new SAITEK pro flight system.

Thanks for your time

Philippe AME

For the rest, I copy the log.

I need to see a complete log, please. This one is not closed -- as I said, you do need to close FS and when it is completely closed, then show me the Log.

Also, please ZIP up your FSUIPC.KEY file and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com. I'll check it here.

BTW I see it says the WideFS registration is not valid either. It looks exactly as if you've never actually registered successfully since you changed Windows versions? The most likely thing that is missing is the Registry access, and that can only be done by running FS from the EXE, right-clicking on it and selecting "Run AsAdministrator". Yet you said "What is strange is that it was working fine few months ago". Have you restored something, rolled back your registry?

I do not suspect a video driver issue

Did you try FS in Windowed mode as I suggested?

Pete

It was a copy and paste of the log as I have it (the server told me that the extension is not authorized, so I could not attach the file). I did exactly as you said (I have no idea what the log should look like). I'll send you everything (log, key and proof of purchase from simmarket) by mail today - its GMT+2 here and I have to rush to the office first

I am in a windowed environment. There has been no windows re-install or registry rollup... though I have been recently cleaning some keys to settle issues with the SAITEK: doing so I removed one key by mistake but in a section of the registry where it is unlikely to have something to do with FSUIPC. Note that WideFS has also been working before (no long ago). I have reinstalled the v. 3.75 yesterday but this should not change anythning (?).

I just notice that my copy and paste was partial here it the total:

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.75 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="Philippe AME"

User Addr="philippe.ame@link.net"

FSUIPC Key is provided

FSUIPC not user registered

WideFS Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=0000B027[0000B027]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=17

231625 System time = 00:35:11

231625 \\POP-PC\Flight Simulator 9\

231625 System time = 00:35:11, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

234500 C:\Users\pop\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\START.flt

234922 AIRCRAFT\PMDG747-400\B747-400.air

245828 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

270984 C:\Users\pop\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

282000 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

360656 System time = 00:37:20, FS2004 time = 00:35:55 (23:35Z)

360656 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 8330 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Still I'll send you the whole thing (DONE)

Cheers

I just notice that my copy and paste was partial here it the total

Okay. That shows exactly what I would expect for an Key file which supplies keys but for an FSUIPC which has not actually been registered (i.e. has no relevant entry in the Registry).

Note that WideFS has also been working before (no long ago). I have reinstalled the v. 3.75 yesterday but this should not change anythning (?).

Since re-installation consists of nothing more than copying the exact same DLL into the folder where it already resides, you are correct. It cannot possibly change anything. We know that the DLL was not corrupted in any case, as the signature checks out.

Thank you for the files -- it was only the key file I needed so I could check it fully. And it is okay, the keys are valid.

So, it does all come down to the apparent lack of the registration entries in the system, and I'm afraid I know no way of those being removed except by Registry editing or roll-back. Are you sure you've not had some sort of crash and Windows, on re-booting, then gave you the option of returning to the last safe configuration? Nothing like that at all?

At present the only way of getting it corrected is to re-register in FSUIPC's dialogues, so we need to try to find out what is interacting with Windows and FS to cause it to crash in what is after all only a straight-forward dialogue. I'm at a bit of a loss to know how to proceed with that. I don't have Vista 64 at present (though I do have, on order, a new PC which will come with it pre-installed -- but that isn't being delivered until I return from a two-week break, in over three weeks).

:-(

I'll think further on this and get back to you if I can think of anything. Meanwhile, if you could possibly remember what might have been changed since it was all registered and working, that would really give us the best clues, don't you think?

Regards

Pete

Merci Pete,

No windows crash, and only one big vista back-up (but I installed so many things in the meantime....). Probably it was this key which I removed by mistake (too quick to click). If I could now which key... When I move FS2004 to Vista and left my old PC to my wife, though the soft was uninstalled (she is not really a sim pilot....) possibly the key might be somewhere in the registry (?) and could be replicated and put in the vista registry... this is just science-fiction to me?!

I have tested all the rest: file permissions, antivirus, firewall, antispyware etc.... I keep on looking

Thanks anyway... and I can wait few weeks, I will simply go back to FSX and FSUIPC 4 waiting for Squawk Box 4 to come out and fly offline.

Let's keep in touch and thank you again for your contribution to simmers community

Philippe

Probably it was this key which I removed by mistake (too quick to click).

Well, it still wouldn't explain how you managed to register okay once, and now cannot do it at all without crashing FS -- evidently something in the System has changed rather significantly.

... possibly the key might be somewhere in the registry (?) and could be replicated and put in the vista registry... this is just science-fiction to me?!

Yes, I'm afraid I don't think it is quite so easy. I'd need to dig into the rather obscure code I generated several years ago to try and make all this villain-proof. On the FSX version, since 4.25, I actually made the Installer call the registration routines in FSUIPC4.DLL to avoid problems with running FSX in "Administrator mode", but of course FSUIPC3 never had (or needed) an installer. It is not a trivial job to write a secure program external to FS to provide the registration function only.

I have tested all the rest: file permissions, antivirus, firewall, antispyware etc.... I keep on looking

Certainly file permissions and so on should have nothing to do with it -- that is taken care of by ensuring elevated admin privileges via the "run as" method. You must have done that earlier to get it registered in the first place.

No, the problem now is the crash. Back at the start you said:

... the "splash" screen of FSUIPC pops up,everything is still fine. .... I try to enter my key and then.... everything freezes.

This implies that all the dialogues in FSUIPC are working, but the keyboard input to the dialogue (which is a function completely inside standard Windows libraries) is freezing. Is this in the first character entered, or not until you've finished a line? Or when, exactly? Looking at the code (which is identical in FSUIPC4) I can't see anything but standard everyday Windows programming, but it might help if I could narrow it down somewhat.

Regards

Pete

Freezing is as soon I click in a field (position cursor + 1 click.... it's over).

AhFSUIPC isn't in control then. That's just Windows focussing. Maybe it is mouse driver related? Could you see if you can get the cursor in the correct filed by using keyboard only (tab key probably).

Regards

Pete

I'll check back tonight when I'm home, but as far as I remember, I could position the cursor (hm, not always... to be checked), click, see the cursor in the box, then disapearing and everything freezes. I have no time time to type a single character

• 6 months later...

Good evening Pete, Philippe.

This is my first time on the forum.

I don't know whether this matter has been resolved, but I experienced this problem last night.

It seemed that it had to do with the VATSIM software I have installed on my system.

Not really that it is installed, but because I installed it before I registered my FSUIPC copy.

Uninstalling them work and I was able to register FSUIPC again.

The software I had on was Advanced Voice Client, FSCopilot and FSInn.

Regards

Christo

Wellington

New Zealand

The software I had on was Advanced Voice Client, FSCopilot and FSInn.

I'm aware there was a compatibility problem between FSCopilot and FSUIPC at one time, but I'm pretty sure it was fixed in a later version of FSCopilot. There was also a problem with a Kensington Mouse driver, but i've not encountered that recently.

Regards

Pete