The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG mapping

I'm looking through a newly registered fsuipc and not really seeing what I'm looking for.

I was of the impression that with a reg version it would be possible to set and program modules(GoFlight) and joysticks with functions

that doesn't have a key in FS internally. Is this not possible?

More specific: I want to add a key for rwy turnoff lights in PMDG and map it to my joystick or GoFlight module.

I also would like to do the same for the starter switches cont.

Is this possible or not? If possible. How?

Svein T.

I'm looking through a newly registered fsuipc and not really seeing what I'm looking for.

I was of the impression that with a reg version it would be possible to set and program modules(GoFlight) and joysticks with functions that doesn't have a key in FS internally. Is this not possible?

Two questions in one, there.

First, yes, with the GFDev.dll driver correctly installed, or added to the Modules folder, FSUIPC will recognise buttons and dials on recognised GoFlight units. There's no special "tab" or options menu for GoFlight, if that's what you are expecting -- the buttons and dials will simply be recognised and assigned a joystick/button number in the normal Buttos and Keys tabs in the Options.

This is described in the User Guide, which is worth perusing. You will see that the dials on GoFlight units are normally seen as 4 buttons, fast ad slow in each direction.

Second, FSUIPC cannot operate functions it doesn't know about, at least not directly. It knows about all those built into FS, and many built into Project Magenta. Whether other add-ons can be so programmed depends on them.

More specific: I want to add a key for rwy turnoff lights in PMDG and map it to my joystick or GoFlight module. I also would like to do the same for the starter switches cont. Is this possible or not? If possible. How?

If those functions are assignable to keystrokes, then you can first make sure the keystrokes work from the keyboard. When you are happy they work fine, program them to your GoFlight units via the "Keys" tab in FSUIPC options.

If you are talking about the 737NG overhead (the PMDG aircraft I tend to use), then I think none of the overhead gauges are programmable for keyboard and you have to resort to using the Mouse.

There are two ways around this, one of which is available now and reliable -- using Luciano Napolitano's "Key2Mouse" program to allow you to assign keystrokes to mouse positioning and clicking operations -- and one of which ("mouse macros") I've been working on only this last week, and has reached trials stage in the current interim versions of FSUIPC (3.806 and 4.266, in the Downloads announcements above).

Interestingly enough, apart from the "APchart" application, already supported through the supplied mouse macro file in those downloads, the FS9 PMDG 737NG overhead is my current main test vehicle for the more advanced mouse functions. I do have a working macro file for a specific version of the PMDG 737NG.

The risks are that some of the mouse actions need code offsets which MUST match exactly the code you have installed, else they will almost certainly crash FS to the desktop. Unfortunately, as yet, I've found no way around this risk.

That said, however, if they work (i.e. if the macro file corresponds correctly with the installation of the add-on you do have), then they seem to work well, and reliably.

At present I have the initial version of this macro file under review in PMDG, to make sure I am not violating any copyrights. I don't think I am, but except for private tests I cannot at present release the files publicly. I am also still looking for ways to eliminate or at least reduce the risks of crashing FS when using mismatched macros.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for fast answer here.

I did look through the User Guide and got the picture on how to map certain things.

Most of those keys for the medium advanced simmer is possible through FS own mapping actually,but it's those

actions that do not have a key which is the problem.

I looked at that mouse2key and it seems to be a genious program.

I have now mapped starter switches and the rwy turnoff lights.(not that those lights really works in the 737 though,I found out)

Apart from that my 737 with the GoFlight modules work now,next challenge seems to be that it doesn't work with the 747.

Will the FSUIPC help me with a "workaround" there? I'll experiment on it anyhow.

Judging by the numbers of post on the PMDG forum ,mapping for cockpit builders is a problem when using the PMDG models.

So hopefully they adress these issues when the new 737 comes around.

Regards Svein T.

I looked at that mouse2key and it seems to be a genious program.

I have now mapped starter switches and the rwy turnoff lights.(not that those lights really works in the 737 though,I found out)

So, are these via Key2mouse? For the FS9 737NG overhead I do have my new mouse macros working very well now, and they work whether or not the overhead is visible. But i cannot release it yet.

Apart from that my 737 with the GoFlight modules work now,next challenge seems to be that it doesn't work with the 747.

Since i am still not clear what you've done, I don't know what "doesn't work". Can you explain? Do you mean Key2Mouse doesn't work?

Will the FSUIPC help me with a "workaround" there? I'll experiment on it anyhow.

Is this the FS9 747? If so, yes, the mouse macro facilities I am working on should enable you to add a full set of dedicated controls for the 747 too. I've not found any yet no amenable, but I've not tried so many yet. I am not very familiar with the 747 so I am not the best person to build a file with decent control names. Maybe when I have the facility ready and documented you could build the file and I would host it for other PMDG users?

I've not yet tested anything on the FSX PMDG 747that's for tomorrow!

Regards

Pete

So, are these via Key2mouse?

YEs,via the key2mouse program by Luciano Napolitano.

I have just had time to briefly test it,but it seem to work well!

Since i am still not clear what you've done, I don't know what "doesn't work". Can you explain? Do you mean Key2Mouse doesn't work?

I just programmed the GF module via the software that comes with it. It works for using it together with PMDG 737,but nothing happens in the PMDG 747. Haven't had time to try mapping via FSUIPC yet. So my question there was really,do you think that will work?

I'll have a crack at it by tomorrow anyhow.

Is this the FS9 747? If so, yes, the mouse macro facilities I am working on should enable you to add a full set of dedicated controls for the 747 too. I've not found any yet no amenable, but I've not tried so many yet. I am not very familiar with the 747 so I am not the best person to build a file with decent control names. Maybe when I have the facility ready and documented you could build the file and I would host it for other PMDG users?

I've not yet tested anything on the FSX PMDG 747that's for tomorrow!

I am talking about the PMDG 747 FS9 yes. I havn't tested the FSX version yet either.

When it comes to building a hole file set,I wasn't really planning to go all the way there. I mainly want to control the lightning,pax sign,starter switches and de-ice. Reason is I want to avoid opening the overhead while inflight on app or climb for practical reasons.

Mapping of the entire overhead is for more advanced users,cockpitbuilders. I don't mind using mouse on overhead when doing preflight.

I'm only putting together a basic cockpit enviroment. FMC,MCP ,Radio stack and a lightning control module to more easily control those items you use continously during a flight.

But sure,when you are ready with it I can see what I can make of it.

Regards,

Svein

I just programmed the GF module via the software that comes with it. It works for using it together with PMDG 737

I'm even more confused now. You are using software for the PMDG 737 which comes with the GoFlight unit, right. So where does Key2Mouse come in, and why did you have any problem in the first place? Why post the message here?

... but nothing happens in the PMDG 747. Haven't had time to try mapping via FSUIPC yet. So my question there was really,do you think that will work?

What, exactly are you thinking of mapping via FSUIPC?

Something is being omitted in all this, and it is puzzling me. Sorry.

Mapping of the entire overhead is for more advanced users,cockpitbuilders. I don't mind using mouse on overhead when doing preflight.

Yes, but I am not specifically talking about mapping actual keys or buttons for every function, only adding FSUIPC controls which can be so mapped by whomsoever desires. This is what the file for the 737 I have produced enables.

Regards

Pete

I'm even more confused now. You are using software for the PMDG 737 which comes with the GoFlight unit, right. So where does Key2Mouse come in, and why did you have any problem in the first place? Why post the message here?

I'll break it down by the numbers:

1. I mapped lighning via GF own mapping software.

2. But there was no key for rwy turnoff lights there.

3. I then looked into FSUIPC to see if that would help me.

4. Thats why I posted here.

5. You then mentioned key2mouse

6. I looked up the program and made macros for starter switches and rwy turnoff lights

7. I could then program that keystroke on my joysticks.

8. Programming the PMDG 747 through GF software doesn't seem to work.

9. I am now looking to making macros with key2mouse and then assign them to GF T8 via FSUIPC

10. Happy Landings!

Yes, but I am not specifically talking about mapping actual keys or buttons for every function, only adding FSUIPC controls which can be so mapped by whomsoever desires. This is what the file for the 737 I have produced enables.

Aha, now I see!

Cheers!

Svein

1. I mapped lighning via GF own mapping software.

2. But there was no key for rwy turnoff lights there.

Nor most of the 737 overhead, I would think? Or has GoFlight provided special drivers for the PMDG 737? I know there was a special SDK on sale for hardware developers -- expensive I think.

3. I then looked into FSUIPC to see if that would help me.

Not till I release this new mouse macro stuff, no.

8. Programming the PMDG 747 through GF software doesn't seem to work.

None of it? Maybe they didn't go for the 747 SDK, or one was never produced?

Regards

Pete

Nor most of the 737 overhead, I would think? Or has GoFlight provided special drivers for the PMDG 737? I know there was a special SDK on sale for hardware developers -- expensive I think.

Havn't tested more than mentioned,but I assume most of overhead is the same yes.

PMDG has software out for using the GF MCP Pro,so that piece of harware is covered.

GF has some kind of mapping for their EFIS as well. But the rest is still just at an evaluating

stage for the new NGX as far as I've been able to understand from some posting on their forum.

None of it? Maybe they didn't go for the 747 SDK, or one was never produced?

I only testet the lightings,they don't seem to work ,no..so probably not.

Not till I release this new mouse macro stuff, no.

Okey,we'll have to eagerly wait for that then.

Regards

Svein