The simFlight Network Forums

WideServer Error - Server Bind

Hello Pete,

I hope that all is well. Before posting this thread, I searched the forums thoroughly for an answer and could not find one. I am having an issue with FS9.1, WideServer and WideClient.

On the FS PC, I start FS normally and shortly after selecting the default flight, I get an error message as follows:

Server bind() failed [Error=10022]

Invalid Argument

Now, I have checked my network as you suggested on another thread and can communicate both ways across both PC's with no issues except when starting FS and I get the WideServer error. Take note that this started just today after I changed some scenery levels within FS itself. I found it a bit odd and changed the scenery levels back to what they were and still no joy.

I have attached both ini files below.

WideClient.ini

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

ServerName=Ken-Gaming

Protocol=TCP

WideServer.ini

[Config]

Port=8002

AdvertiseService=1

AutoRestart=0

AutoUpdateTime=13

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

Port2=9002

RestartTime=10

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

I am also attaching two error logs I found WideServer generated.

WideServer

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.75] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 29/05/08, Time 17:50:29.203: Server name is KEN-GAMING

155438 Initialising TCP/IP server

155453 Initialising IPX/SPX server

155453 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

155453 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

155453 Initialising UDP/IP server

156110 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

2009907 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2009907 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2021547 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 0 alloc, 0 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

and a second error log;

WideServer0

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.75] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 29/05/08, Time 17:12:35.468: Server name is KEN-GAMING

134437 Initialising TCP/IP server

134469 Initialising IPX/SPX server

134469 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

134469 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

134469 Initialising UDP/IP server

136125 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

2157594 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2157594 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2168172 Restarting service due to total lack of use

2168172 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2168172 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2168172 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2180500 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2180500 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2180500 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2191484 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2191484 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2191484 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2202578 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2202578 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2202578 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2215375 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2215375 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2215375 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2226828 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2226828 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2226828 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2238625 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2238625 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2238625 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2250344 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

2250359 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2250359 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

2259625 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 0 alloc, 0 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

Please note also that I have completely uninstalled and then re-installed WideServer and WideClient on the PC's to see if that would help but no joy.

One last note Pete, about 30 seconds after closing out FS, I get a strange error message as follows:

The instruction at "0x7c911899" referenced memory at "0x003d2838". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

This shows up as an fs9.exe error. Again, only started today with no changes made except scenery levels. There have been no windows updates, etc.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

On the FS PC, I start FS normally and shortly after selecting the default flight, I get an error message as follows:

Server bind() failed [Error=10022]

Invalid Argument

Never seen one of those before. Where does this error message appear? Surely not on the screen, as WideServer has no screen messages. What happens after you see this message?

I have attached both ini files below.

Why, have you been changing them? If so, why?

Actually they look like defaults except that you have specified the Server name and protocol -- usually totally unnecessary unless you are running two separate network Workgroups (i.e ones with different names), or one of the PCs is running an older version of Windows, like Windows 98.

I am also attaching two error logs I found WideServer generated.

They are not "error logs", they are just logs -- FSUIPC, WideServer and WideClient always prodce logs. And just one would do -- when WideServer runs it saves the previous log. This is to allow auto-restarts without losing error information. WideClient does the same.

Why haven't you supplied a WideClient log? both ends of a connection are always relevant. One end is half the story.

Anyway, the 'Bind' error isn't particularly relevant by the look of it, as it only affects UDP, a protocol you aren't using. Look:

155438 Initialising TCP/IP server

2009907 Server bind() failed [Error=10022] Invalid argument

2009907 Failed to start UDP/IP Server

In both logs the error doesn't occur until over 2000 seconds from WideServer being started. That's over 33 minutes! I cannot believe it takes you 33 minutes to select the flight. You said

I start FS normally and shortly after selecting the default flight, I get an error message

"Shortly after"? 33 minutes? Something doesn't add up here!

I really cannot comment further without seeing the WideClient log. Sorry.

One last note Pete, about 30 seconds after closing out FS, I get a strange error message as follows:

The instruction at "0x7c911899" referenced memory at "0x003d2838". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

This shows up as an fs9.exe error.

That sounds suspiciously like some thread not terminating -- probably an add-on which is still running even though FS has mostly closed. You need to check the add-ons and add-ins you have installed.

Regards

Pete

No, it definately does not take 33 minutes to load the flight. Rather about 30 seconds.

Here is the log from WideClient:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.75] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 29/05/08, Time 19:58:35.390: Client name is FAMILY

625 Attempting to connect now

1625 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1625 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3625 Attempting to connect now

68109 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

No, it definately does not take 33 minutes to load the flight. Rather about 30 seconds.

So where did you see this "Bind" error message pop up after 30 seconds when such an error certainly doesn't occur in WideServer till after 33 minutes?

Here is the log from WideClient:

Aha! That shows that you are indeed running a Network where broadcasting doesn't work (i.e. either incompatible Windows versions or differently named work groups, or both). I now see that, whilst you added this to your Wideclient.INI:

ServerName=Ken-Gaming

Protocol=TCP

for some reason you added these lines to the [user] section, not the [Config] section where they belong, so they will be ignored!!

Oh, one other thing. The Server log shows the Server name to be KEN-GAMING not Ken-Gaming. Now maybe Windows ignores differences in case in these names, but just in case if I were you I'd use exactly the same in the WideClient.INI file.

Pete

I'll be honest with you Pete, I'm at a loss for this one but will keep digging. :?

The pop-up alert with the bind() error happens on the FS PC right on the screen as FS is running and it happens immediately as FS loads up the default flight at KSEA. It actually pops up over FS and I have to click OK in order to continue using FS. Here is a screen cap of the error:

WIdeServerError.jpg

I will change the WideClient.ini file to reflect the servername and protocol in the config area as opposed to the user area first thing in the morning as my FS and client PC's have been shut down to give them some much needed rest (Benefits of also having a laptop eh?).

Both PC's are running Windows XP. The client has XP Home with SP2 and the Server has XP Pro with SP2. Both have the same workgroup and server names across my network. The firewall has been configured on both PC's to allow WideServer and WideClient to communicate freely.

If I find anything of singnificance, I will be sure to post it here. I still just cannot understand how this problem started out of the clear blue :?:

***Oh, also, the Server name is KEN-GAMING in Caps as listed. I doublechecked this under My Computer/Properties/Computer Name tab.

Thank you for your time thus far Pete. You're one fine chap.

Cheers.

The pop-up alert with the bind() error happens on the FS PC right on the screen as FS is running and it happens immediately as FS loads up the default flight at KSEA. It actually pops up over FS and I have to click OK in order to continue using FS. Here is a screen cap of the error:

That is weird, because WideServer always logs errors even if it does deem them serious enough to pop up a message box -- I even forgot it did this for serious errors, as I cannot recall it ever happening before.

It does log such an error, but 33 minutes laterI don't see how that is possible, so it is doubly weird.

Both PC's are running Windows XP. The client has XP Home with SP2 and the Server has XP Pro with SP2. Both have the same workgroup and server names across my network. The firewall has been configured on both PC's to allow WideServer and WideClient to communicate freely.

Well, either something is blocking the broadcasts which WideServer is issuing, or that error cropping up is preventing them somehow.

If I find anything of singnificance, I will be sure to post it here. I still just cannot understand how this problem started out of the clear blue :?:

It seems something has got messed up in the Network configuration somehow. Maybe uninstalling and re-installing the network hardware (via the Device manager) would help, by reinstalling its drivers and so on. Meanwhile, if you set "Log=Debugall" to the [user] section of the WideServer.INI file, it will produce a log of absolutely everything going on in WideServer, and maybe that will tell me something.

Unfortunately, I am away from tonight (late Friday evening) until Tuesday June 10th, so I might not be able to help further unless you are quick with the Log. If you do manage to get one, ZIP it and send to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Regards

Pete

Well Pete, after all this troubleshooting it turns out that the problem was a hardware related issue. Long story short, somehow, the firmware data for the DVD drives on my PC got corrupted. As I keep my FS disc 4 in one of these drives, the drive stopped reading all media that went into it. When I would boot up FS, it started to ask me to please insert FS disc4 and restart the application. After much searching on the internet (great tool that we have :D) I finally came across a thread on Son'ys website whereby another user was having similar issues.

The fix? Downloading the latest firmware edition for the particular drive. All is back to normal now.

Well....almost. I also had to perform a destructive recovery on my HDD. The old firmware would not delete even under admin profiles. They were stubborn as heck to get rid of, so the only rememdy per Sony Tech Support was to reformat the hard drive back to factory conditions.

Thanks for all of your help Pete. I really appreciate it.