The simFlight Network Forums

FS Controls & PFCFSX

Hi Pete

I've been using your software for about 15 years. It's indispensable; thank you for all your hard work.

I have a dedicated high spec PC, and use only FSX. I do have the latest FSUIPC4 and PFCFSX.dll installed. My PFC console is 7 years old, and I know that product quite well. A few days ago I encountered an unfamiliar problem. When I tick 'List all FS Controls' and try to drop down the choices, nothing happens and after a few seconds FSX shuts down. Without the tick I can operate PFC's buttons OK, but when I seek the greater choice this failure occurs.

Immediately before I noticed this problem I had installed a trial for Vox ATC and done a major defrag using Ultimate Defrag. Thinking it may have highjacked the FS Controls I have uninstalled Vox ATC, but the problem remains. I did notice that Vox ATC contains a file called FSUIPCInt.dll and wondered if that could have caused a corruption.

I suspect a corrupted file somewhere, possibly in FSX, and I fear a complete reinstall. But before I do that I am seeking your experienced input. On the hardware there two faults evident - the green LDG Gear lights flicker on and off occasionally and the yoke needs to be held down left to prevent banking to the right. So hardware may be the cause.

I will be most grateful for your help.

Frank

I do have the latest FSUIPC4 and PFCFSX.dll installed.

Could you actually give version numbers, please? Folks mean all sorts of different things when they say "latest" -- it can mean simply "the latest one I know about". One chap was using a year old version of FSUIPC and was thinking that was the 'latest' simply because he'd not looked very far.

A few days ago I encountered an unfamiliar problem. When I tick 'List all FS Controls' and try to drop down the choices, nothing happens and after a few seconds FSX shuts down. Without the tick I can operate PFC's buttons OK, but when I seek the greater choice this failure occurs.

Have you used the same facility before with these "latest" versions?

Immediately before I noticed this problem I had installed a trial for Vox ATC and done a major defrag using Ultimate Defrag. Thinking it may have highjacked the FS Controls I have uninstalled Vox ATC, but the problem remains. I did notice that Vox ATC contains a file called FSUIPCInt.dll and wondered if that could have caused a corruption.

I suspect a corrupted file somewhere, possibly in FSX, and I fear a complete reinstall.

PFCFSX gets the FS Controls List in the same way as FSUIPC4. Does FSUIPC4 crash when you try to drop down the Buttons or Keys assignment lists? (Do you have a Registered FSUIPC4, if not you won't be able to try that). FS's controls are all listed in its CONTROLS.DLL -- can you check that it bears the same date/time as the other FSX DLLs?

On the hardware there two faults evident - the green LDG Gear lights flicker on and off occasionally

That's due to having old firmware with recent versions of the PFC driver. Apparently when they added new functionality, for new devices, the older firmware misinterprets some of the new commands -- a bit of an oversight in the code which was always meant to be extensible. Often it is due to having the "Motor Trim" option enabled -- that will certainly do it -- but I have received reports of it occurring even with that off.

If I knew which of the additional commands now used in PFC.DLL and PFCFSX.DLL were being so misinterpreted, I could make them optional. However, there has been an enormous amount of development for new bits and pieces and it isn't feasible to make it all optional. The only solution, therefore, is to get the firmware in the console upgraded -- it's a socketed chip change.

and the yoke needs to be held down left to prevent banking to the right

Can't you simply re-calibrate to get a correct centre? The numbers provided can be interpreted in any way, so this is always possible.

Of course you should also check your aileron trim. If there's no such dial on the console, check that the trim in FSX is centred -- it is quite easy to get it off-centred and saved in a Flight file, then propagated to other aircraft by loadingh those instead of loading fresh flights.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Thank you for that helpful and informative reply. I will answer the questions seriatim:

- FSUIPC4 is registered, and both that and PFCFSX are versions 4.30

- Yes, I have "used the same facility" with these versions

- CONTROLS.DLL is dated and timed 10.12.2007 22:29 (incidentally, is there any way I could read that?)

All DLLs are dated and timed the same, except the following:

GameuxInstallHelper 5.7.2006 22:13

Gauge Sound 4.2.2008 15:16

TCAS2v7 5.7.2008 10:11

WaveLIB 5.7.2008 10:11

- FSUIPC4 doesn't crash when I try to drop down, etc

- I can't find the "Motor Trim" option.

- I have tried re-calibrating the yoke with no success, but will try that again when the main problem is sorted.

- I think you were right about the aileron trim. I was using a saved flight and have deleted that now. The fault didn't show on the default flight.

But the main problem remains.

Frank

- CONTROLS.DLL is dated and timed 10.12.2007 22:29 (incidentally, is there any way I could read that?)

All DLLs are dated and timed the same, except the following

That's okay then. The others aren't part of FSX as such. (Read what? A DLL? DLL's are binary library files in PE format. You can decode them with a PE disassembler or PE Explorer tools).

- FSUIPC4 doesn't crash when I try to drop down, etc

Which proves the CONTROLS.DLL must be okay.

- I can't find the "Motor Trim" option.

It is labelled "Trim/shaker motors fitted", on the main consoles tab. Here's the documentation extract for it:

Trim/shaker motors fitted: Only check this to enable the facilities in PFC.DLL which drive the stick shaker motor (on stall or overspeed warnings) and trim motor (to turn the trim wheels), if you have these fitted. Do not enable them otherwise, as there is a possibility that the version of firmware in your console might then cause odd things to happen, most noticeably flashing of the gear indicator LEDs when trim is adjusted.

- I have tried re-calibrating the yoke with no success

If you still bank when the calibration shows the aileron is centred, it is almost certainly the aileron trim out of whack, or just possibly rudder trim. Check both.

But the main problem remains.

I don't know how to fix that, as it certainly isn't happening here. Without forcing you to reinstall everything from scratch, I can only suggest working around it for now. You can assign any of your PFC switches and buttons to FS controls (or FSUIPC controls) in FSUIPC's Buttons tab. I think that option is more flexible than using the PFC driver's built-in option. I use it all the time. (You can even do the same for the PFC axes -- quadrant levers, yoke, etc -- i.e. assign them in FSUIPC's axis assignments. However, there is less point there, in general).

Regards

Pete

Thanks again, Pete. I've learned a lot today - and at 75 I'm glad to still be learning anything!

I found the "Trim/shaker motors fitted" and that wasn't ticked. So I can forget that.

As to the banking problem, when you say "it is almost certainly the aileron trim out of whack, etc" are you referring to the hardware?

I will "check both" - but where?

The major breakthrough (for me!) in your answer was the final para. That is a truly great way to set PFC. It will take a little time but to make it aircraft specific seems to be a great advantage. I am trying it on a Cessna for the moment, and it really does work. Brilliant.

The surprise to me was that after gingerly choosing the FS Controls dropdown all choices were there.

Warmest regards

Frank

As to the banking problem, when you say "it is almost certainly the aileron trim out of whack, etc" are you referring to the hardware?

No. I doubt that you have an aileron trim on the hardware, have you? As I already explained, it is probably the trim on the aircraft in FS.

I will "check both" - but where?

Load an aircraft with aileron and rudder trim gauges and centre them.

The surprise to me was that after gingerly choosing the FS Controls dropdown all choices were there.

Where is this, you mean the PFC one is working, or are you talking about FSUIPC?

Regards

Pete

Pete

Sorry - after I sent the last reply I thought that last bit was not clear. The PFC one still does not work. I was talking about the one in FSUIPC. That dropdown contains many other possibilities I don't recall seeing before. As I said FSUIPC is quite brilliant. I like the 'workaround'. I can understand why you use that method.

You are right, my console does not have an aileron trim on it. I now understand what you are recommending. I'll give it a try.

Regards

Frank

Pete

FSUIPC for setting buttons on Yoke and Avionics is easy to use and very flexible. I will now ignore PFCFSX for that job.

Also using the PFC software I have succeeded in retuning the ailerons. You were very kind not to tell me to RFM. It is quite a while since I read the User Guides in full. I am now going to do that to discover what else I should be using FSUIPC for.

Your headsup on the chip led me to email support at PFC. They responded immediately and I am purchasing the latest chip for install in the Avionics box. Ivan at PFC has been very helpful. He confirms that the flickering LDG GEAR lights will be put right by the new chip.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Frank