The simFlight Network Forums

Widefs Connection Problems

Hey Guys, I'm having trouble connection to FS2004 through Widefs. I'm running XP with FS and Vista with wideclient. Sometimes it will connect after a few minutes, but I will then lose the connection. Other times it will not connect at all. I have opened the ports in my router config and there are no firewalls preventing the program to go throuogh. Below I will paste the wideclient info. I hope this helps. Thank you

Erik

****** WideClient Log [version 6.75] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 04/09/08, Time 21:34:36.558: Client name is ERIK-PC

203 Attempting to connect now

1092 Server = YOUR-3803D5F570

3354 Trying TCP/IP host "YOUR-3803D5F570" port 8002 ...

3354 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11004] Valid name, no data record of requested type

6209 Server = YOUR-3803D5F570

3354 Trying TCP/IP host "YOUR-3803D5F570" port 8002 ...

3354 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11004] Valid name, no data record of requested type

6209 Server = YOUR-3803D5F570

I've never seen that error, but a quick "Google" on the error number, 11004, finds this:

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=14420

which suggests using the IP address instead of the name. This is obviously a work-around, not a fix to whatever problem you have. A more explicit explanation of the error appears further down that thread:

An 11004 error means that the name you provided for a server in the client connection cannot be resolved to an IP address because DNS entries for that host name cannot be found or connection cannot be resolved to an IP address because DNS entries for that host name are misconfigured (for example a CNAME record without an appropriate A record). Try using the appropriate (internal or external) IP address for the server in the client connection string instead of the name.

Why you have misconfigured DNS entries I don't know -- presumably that's something to do with your router or switch settings?

Incidentally, why are you specifying the server name and protocol in the WideClient.INI? Didn't the automatic identification of the Server work either? It should be fine with XP/Vista systems, unless your Workgroup names don't match.

Regards

Pete

Hello, thank you for your quick response. I'm unsure of where to start with fixing this. I am pretty new to configuring my router. Where do I go about putting in the ip address?

"Incidentally, why are you specifying the server name and protocol in the WideClient.INI? Didn't the automatic identification of the Server work either? It should be fine with XP/Vista systems, unless your Workgroup names don't match."

I have not specified the server name in the WideClient.INI. I'm not sure why it is indication I have. Is there something that I need to insert into the .INI to fix the issue. Thank you again for your patience.

Erik

Where do I go about putting in the ip address?

In the ServerIPAddr parameter -- use that instead of the name in the ServerName parameter. The documentation does tell you these things.

I have not specified the server name in the WideClient.INI. I'm not sure why it is indication I have. Is there something that I need to insert into the .INI to fix the issue.

No. I don't know how to FIX your issue, as you have something badly set on some part of your Network -- the part operating the DNS, so probably your router. I cannot fix that, I don't even understand mine! You need to seek help in the router documentation or its support. It isn't anything to do with FS or WideFS at all.

To work-around it instead you can try what that other thread says, specifying explicitly the server's IP address. To do that you have to use the ServerIPAddr parameter in the Wideclient.INI file, and also add "Protocol=TCP". In order to stop your IP address changing, select it explicitly in the Server. Don't let it be assigned automatically.

Please do refer to the WideFS User Guide. The section entitled "Configure your network" does explain these parameters and how to assign specific addresses.

Pete